‹ Prequel: Smiling at Everything
Status: Completed

Not Afraid to Die

Chapter 11

"Sweet and sour chicken, for the win," Lolita exclaimed from her spot on the couch.

A few grueling hours had gone into planning. When it was over, the small group had left. They had other things to do, which included seeing Doctor Cart to run the plans by her.
Carter had too many patients today.

It wasn't really hard to plan the Christmas special. Neon already had her house set up, and they weren't planning on changing it. The order of events was also easy. It was presents that they had trouble with. Everyone would be celebrating Christmas with their families before the special, so how were they supposed to incorporate presents? They went through various ideas. Save presents from the morning for the special, provide presents for everyone, have every band member by a present everyone. The list went on. But they did finally settle on one.

Secret Santa.

As a group, they did the name pulling and they would tell the band members who they had to buy a present for over the next few days. Lolita had to pull for her brother. He ended up with Rian. It seemed like a good match for her brother. He and Rian got along pretty well.

"You're a nut," Dante stated, grabbing his cordless phone.

"Order my sweet and sour chicken, slave," Lolita demanded.

One of Dante's perfectly manicured eyebrows rose, a smile spreading on his face. Lolita's eyes lit up. She knew what she could make Dante do that afternoon.

She had been trying to think of what to coerce her brother into.

"Can you do my eyebrows for me?" Lolita asked.

"You're eyebrows look fine, love," Dante said, turning his attention to his phone and dialing.

"But yours are amazing."

"That they are," he placed the phone to his ear, "Stop talking so I can order food."

Lolita jutted out her bottom lip, crossing her arms over her chest. In response, Dante turned around, back to Lolita. He would cave under that pathetic gaze in a matter of seconds and be stuck doing his little sister's eyebrows.

Those things didn't even need work.

A knock resounded through the apartment, startling both siblings.

"Go get the door," Dante said over his shoulder.

"Slave driver," Lolita mumbled, pushing herself from the couch and walking to the door.

Not caring that she was still in her plaid pajama shorts and her hair hadn't been worked on, she swung the door open. The man standing in the hallway of the apartment building caused her heart to beat faster.

"Hey, Rian," Lolita squeaked.

She was expecting to see him again, but not this soon.

Rian's eyes traveled Lolita's body. Her hair hadn't been done, her tank top looked as if it had been slept in, and she was wearing plaid shorts even that hung loose on her hips.

But she looked good.

"Cute pajamas," Rian commented.

For the first time in her young life, Lolita felt self-conscious. It was a fleeting feeling, only there for a moment before disappearing. But it was strong and very strange for her. She had been tempted to rush back to the guest bedroom she was staying in and get changed in the moment that feeling was there. Thankfully, it passed almost as soon as it appeared, and she was back to being herself.

"Thanks," Lolita smiled, "My hair ate my hairbrush this morning. I figured I shouldn't mess with it."

"I can see that," he chuckled, "Is Dante here?"

"Yes, but he's on the phone ordering food."

As if called upon by the spirits of the Inferno, Dante appeared at her side. He mumbled a "Hold on" into the phone and pressed the receiver to his chest.

"Hey, Rian, what's up?" he asked.

"Well, I decided to take Lolita's advice and do things to keep my head off the breakup. I've been watching movies all day, and I realized that I have some of your movies still," Rian held up a Wal-Mart bag.

"You brought movies?" Lolita asked, snatching the bag from Rian's hand. She opened it and peered inside. "Fight Club's in here," she exclaimed.

"I think you just saved me. This one," he motioned his head to Lolita, "is getting restless. Movies should keep her entertained."

"Are you done ordering my food, slave?" Lolita asked.

Rian choked back a laugh.

"You accused me of being a slave driver not even two minutes ago and you've called me your slave twice. That doesn't even make sense."

"Yes, it does."

"Did you sneak a soda today?"

"No, you've been guarding the kitchen all day, depriving me of happiness," Lolita looked at Rian, "Do you see what he does to me? I think I'm going to die of happiness deprivation."

"I'll make you clean the bathroom," Dante threatened.

"Then I might really die."

Dante rolled his eyes, "Whatever." He looked at Rian, "You want to come in for a minute?"

"Nah, I'm going to head back home," Rian answered.

"You sure?"

Rian nodded.

"Okay, dude, I'll see you later," Dante said, "Be safe."

Dante reattached the phone to his ear and walked away. Lolita watched after him, wheels of her mind turning. Rian had Dante's movies? They were that good of friends to forget they had movies at each other's houses? Maybe she would be seeing a lot more of Rian than she thought.

Not that she minded.

He and Dante would end up getting perfect gifts for each other, too. That is if anyone actually told Rian about Secret Santa yet.

Wait, that was Lolita's job.

"Oh, before you go," Lolita rushed, "Did anyone tell you about Secret Santa?"

"No," Rian answered.

Of course no one did. Lolita had clear orders to tell Rian, and the group she was working with was confident in her ability to get things done. Far more confident than she was in her ability to remember things.

She could admit that things slipped her mind from time to time.

"Well, we were planning the Christmas Special today, and we decided you guys need to open presents. I mean, it's kind of important."

"Something tells me you just like to watch people rip open presents," Rian said.

"It’s the shiny paper. It's so distracting."

"You were one of those kids who only cared about the wrapping paper and didn't give a shit about the present, weren't you?"

"I still am one of those kids."

The wrapping paper was so much more exciting than the present. It always had been to Lolita. She couldn't help her obsession with the decorated paper.

She blamed her pills for her easy fascination.

She blamed her pills for a lot of things.

It seemed fitting.

"I know what to get you for Christmas: a box filled with wrapping paper," Rian said.

"That would be amazing."

He chuckled, shaking his head. "You were going to tell me something about the Christmas Special," he stated, hoping to jog her memory.

"Oh, yeah. We planned a Secret Santa so that everyone gets a present and it doesn't take forever to get through that part of the special. Just the two bands are involved in it. We decided to keep family and non-band significant others out because we don't know who's showing up."

"Do I need to pick a name now?"

"No, we did that for you guys."

"Who do I have then?"

Lolita bit her lip, glancing back at the kitchen. Her brother was still on the phone, repeating his name slowly for the cashier. Though he was occupied, Lolita didn't want to say his name out loud.

Those Inferno spirits would call to him and give away everything.

She looked at Rian, "You have that one," she pointed to the kitchen.

Hopefully Dante wouldn't pop up out of nowhere again.

Rian made an O-shape with his mouth and nodded. "Good to know."

"Yeah, you probably won't have difficulty finding a present."

"He's easy to shop for," Rian said, "I think I'll do that now to get it out of the way. It was nice seeing you, Lolita."

"You too."

With that, Rian left down the hall, Lolita unable to pull her eyes from him until he was out of view.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to breepocket, erika_xtc, rivals are insane, nathaliie, purplemonster, and Myssa is stellar.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
The chapter link problem should be fixed.
If its not, let me know.
The Inferno comments made throughout this refer to the author Dante is named after.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste