‹ Prequel: Smiling at Everything
Status: Completed

Not Afraid to Die

Chapter 44

"Go fish," Lolita chirped, placing a white pawn in a random spot in the chess board.

"Lolita, we're playing chess," Rian said.

He moved his white pawn, the one Lolita had decided was hers, to its original sitting place. A pout graced Lolita's features at the action. Chuckling, Rian shook his head. This was how their game had been going for the last thirty minutes or so. Lolita would take his piece, he would take it back, and she would pout.

Their game hadn't gotten anywhere in the span of thirty minutes.

But Lolita was cute. That was enough to make up for the lack of progress.

"I thought she was just like this in the hospital," Blaine said.

"No, she's been like this since she was born. The doctors dropped her on her head," Dante said.

Drawing her attention away from the chess board, Lolita glared at her sibling. "I'm telling daddy."

"You do that."

"I will."

"I'm sure."

"And I'll tell the gnomes. They won't like you anymore."

"They never liked me."

"Yes, they did because you always let them out of my closet. But they won't like you once I tell on you."

"Tattletale."

Lolita mock-gasped. "Take that back."

The comment didn't really offend her. Tattletale? That was hardly serious. None of the argument was serious. She and her brother never really had serious conflict with each other.

Well, the conversation in the hospital room had turned into a bit of an argument, but it was needed. Lolita needed someone to help her decide what to do. Dante stepped up to the plate, as did the brief coma.

She was more than happy with her decision.

"I don't think I will."

"Meany-face."

"They're like five-year-olds," Blaine commented.

"You expect it more from Lolita, but Dante stoops down to her level from time to time," Rian said, smiling nostalgically, "I think that's what makes their relationship even more special."

The Anderson siblings were an interesting pair. So many similarities and differences that never seemed to conflict. They were nothing like Neon and Arpeggio or Lestat and Armand. They had a relationship all their own that worked in ways Rian found fascinating.

Lolita looked at Rian across the coffee table, the argument ending with Dante. More like her tuning out while Dante used a series of large words she didn't care enough to comprehend in order to offend her. Besides, Rian was far more interesting than Dante's attempted insults. The way his eyes twinkled, how perfect his smile was, the way he could look so serious when joking around. He could hold her attention far longer than Dante's ramblings could.

Smiling, Lolita stood from her seat on the floor and walked around the coffee table, the dark carpeting of her father's living room soft against her bare feet. She had missed that carpet while in the hospital. Most of the comfort she found at home had been missed during her stay. It was good to be home and it was good to finally have a date set with Rian and it was good to see her brother finally with someone. Things were good.

Rian watched Lolita pad around the coffee table to him. Before he could open his mouth to ask what she was doing, she was seated in his lap, situating her body comfortably on his folded legs. She looked up at him once she decided she wasn't going to cut off the circulation to his legs. One of his arms wrapped around her waist, the other lay over her knee.

"Well, hello there," Rian said.

"Hi."

"Does my lap meet your seating standards?"

"Yep," she chirped and leaned her body against his chest.

His body heat spread through her, warming her tank top clad body, becoming her heater in the already warm house. She rested her head against his shoulder, tracing shapes in the fabric of his shirt. His lap was a nice place to sit.

"Why aren't you on your side of the board?"

"It was boring over there."

"And you chose to sit in my lap because?"

"I like you."

"What a coincidence, I like you, too."

Her heart leaped, stomach flipping. She was going to have to get used this affection if she and Rian would date. Even more so if they became an official couple, and she wanted that to happen.

"Really? We should go on a date. How about tomorrow?"

"You can't, love," Dante cut in.

Lolita looked at her sibling. "Get out of my conversation."

Was it absolutely necessary for him to speak? She was just fine talking with Rian. Dante needed to shut up.

"Can't," Dante said, "Someone has to set you straight."

"I don't think you're qualified for that."

Blaine choked, trying to cover up his laughs. Lolita must have been one fascinating sibling to grow up with. HIV and AIDS aside, she had a beautiful personality. She was childish, but not annoying, funny, but grounded. She was something else. Dante was lucky to have a sibling like her, despite the constant threat of death looming over her head.

"Someone thinks they're funny."

"I am funny. You're boyfriend's laughing."

This seemed to sober Blaine. His laughter evaporated, as did the humor in Dante's face.

"He hasn't… Um… We're not… I'm not his boyfriend yet," Blaine stuttered.

"Dante, why haven't you asked him out?" Lolita asked.

"Would you and dad stop pressuring me? We're getting to know each other," Dante said.

"What's there to know? You like him, he likes you. His name is Blaine, he's a nurse, and he's from Maryland."

"I'm not from Maryland," Blaine said.

Lolita's eyebrows drew together, confusion lacing her features. He wasn’t? When did that happen?

"See, this is why we're getting to know each other," Dante said. Smiling, he looked at Blaine, "Where are you from?"

This wasn't a topic they had discussed. It seemed like the typical first date question, but it hadn't come up.

"Texas."

"Why are you in Maryland? Texas sounds cooler," Lolita said.

"The Johns Hopkins Hospital is here. It’s the number one rated medical facility in the United States, according to general consensus."

"I go there," Lolita chirped.

"So does everyone in RxN," Rian said.

"You've been here for a year, right?" Dante asked.

"About," Blaine said.

"How do you like Maryland compared to Texas."

"I grew up in a small town where everyone basically knew each other. Baltimore is way different."

Lolita could tell he was holding something back. It was such a generic answer. She was sure Dante felt it, too.

"I imagine it is," Dante said, "We've stopped in Dallas and Houston before on tour, and the difference between here and there is immense. They're not small towns, but that's as much of Texas as I've gotten."

"Yeah, there's more to Texas than Dallas and Houston."

Well, that didn't yield any deeper results. More generic answers.

"Did you’re family move with you?"

"No. They prefer staying in Texas."

"Oh, well, maybe I can meet them one day."

"No, that's not going to happen."

Dante caught the sharp tone in his voice. This was the cause of his vagueness regarding his home.

"Why?"

"My family isn't the most accepting, Dante. They're not okay with my life choices, and they wouldn't appreciate me bringing you around."

"Did they kick you out?"

Blaine snorted. "No. But I wasn't allowed to be gay under their roof."

"What did they do?"

"My dad beat me with a belt everyday until I left."

"Are you serious?" Dante asked, shocked.

"Don't be upset," Blaine flashed a smile, "Your music is what helped me get over it. If it weren't for your band, I wouldn't be alive right now."

Smiling, Dante placed a hand on Blaine's. "I'm glad."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to nathaliie, rivals are insane, brittneyhuff, The-Ugly-Duckling, LeT_ThE_rAiN_cOmE, breepocket, and SpinningInCircles.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste