Status: So, I don't save my chapters after I write them, and I finished it... And now it's all gone. I'm not ***ing writing them again, so sorry to those who were trying to read. Blame Mibba.

One Last Breath

Twenty Four;

Skylar

It was mornings like these that made me never want to leave my bed. Not because I was feeling horrible and achy, but because I was so damn comfortable. It seemed like it would have been impossible to leave my bed, wrapped up in this warmth.

The thick blanket was what covered my entire body, keeping the heat in the bed and setting drowsiness over me. The sun that shone through the window also caressed my covered body, giving that natural warmth to sooth my skin. The best part, however, was the warm body behind me. Noah’s arm was wrapped around my waist, keeping me tight against his hard body. He cradled me against him and I wished this moment would never end.

Because of how amazing it felt, I drifted in and out of sleep for maybe an hour. What got me to wake up completely was when I didn’t feel Noah against me anymore. With a groan, I turned my head to look behind me, confirming that he truly wasn’t there. I felt like pouting, because this kind of dampened my day, but decided against it. He had left my wheel chair by the bed, knowing that I liked to get in it myself, so I couldn’t be that mad at him.

I was ready for the day and pulled myself up and easily slipped into my wheel chair. It had gotten easier with practice to get myself into the chair, so I no longer needed help from anyone else. It was nice being somewhat independent again, especially since some of the control had been taken away when Noah learned about how much pain I was in. All I could do now was live my life how I was used to.

After getting ready for the day, or at least looking a little bit presentable, I rolled my way into the living room, where I was expecting the doctor to be. I frowned when I didn’t see him, or hear him, anywhere. Looking out the giant window that was in the living room, I noticed his car was still in the drive way, so he couldn’t have possibly gone anywhere.

“Noah?” I called out, hoping that from where ever he might be in the house he would hear me. I didn’t get a response and frowned harder. Maybe he was outside for some strange reason?

To get there, I had to go to the kitchen, so I turned myself around and headed into the next room, hoping I would find Noah. If he wasn’t outside, I was going to start worry that he’d been kidnapped.

“Surprise!”

I let out a little “yip” that only girls seemed to be able to make, holding onto my chest like my heart was going to pop out, which I was sure it might. In the kitchen of our home stood the family that had been here when I first came. They were all standing around with bright grins on their faces with birthday decorations hanging from everywhere. All my family had one of those silly pointed hats on their heads, which made me laugh.

Noah stepped out from behind everyone with the biggest grin I had ever seen him use before. I glared at him, though it was slightly playful.

“You jerk, I thought someone had killed you!”

“Sorry, but isn’t this a better surprise?”

I nodded my head and rolled forward, going to greet all of my family. They all gave me hugs and told me that I looked beautiful; the things a family is supposed to say to you, but I glowed in their compliments. It was my 20th birthday and I was supposed to be the beautiful star; even if I hadn’t known beforehand.

Noah

Skylar looked happier than I had ever seen her, and it was rubbing off on everyone. Her mood was contagious, spreading like a wild fire, and I was glad for it. For Skylar to be this happy this far along in her condition was something amazing, but she was full of surprises. Most doctors braced themselves for the depression that death would bring to their patient. Maybe that was why this woman was so special and had a way with my heart, because she was different than every other person that I’d ever met.

As I looked over at her now, I couldn’t help but chuckle into my hand. Anthony was sitting on her lap, trying to use her as a free ride. But knowing Skylar, she was having none of it. She was pushing him off of her, or trying to anyway, but her laughter stopped her from making him tumble to the floor. Anthony, the moody teen that I had first met was gone now, revealing a happy child having fun with his sister. It was just stunning how much one woman could change a family.

“She looks so content.”

Hearing the voice of Ms. White, I turned in my chair to look at her. She had a light smile on her face, one that mothers tend to use a lot, which made me smile at her. I nodded my head in agreement, giving the happy blonde one more look before turning my full attention to her mother.

“She does, and I’m glad for it. It’s always nice to see her happy, but to have her happy all the time is even better.”

“Her happiness is ours as well,” the older woman sighed, her smile still glued to her lips. “Honestly though, I’m just glad she’s made it to her 20th birthday. With all the bad news we received in her childhood, we never thought she would make it this far in life. Every birthday, every holiday I just thank god she’s still here with us.”

“Every day is a miracle in her case; her life is precious and I think even she knows that. Maybe that’s why she is so radiant every day.”

Ms. White’s smile dimmed just a little bit, but came back a little bit brighter. “Skylar has always been a radiant girl, ever since she was a kid. She was a little sad when she learned about her disease, but was back to herself in a little over a week.”

No one recovered from bad news like that that fast, not even our flexible Skylar. Maybe if I hadn’t known she was hiding her pain from all of us, I would have agreed with her. Skylar was good at hiding her emotions from us all, but I wasn’t going to let her mother in on that detail, so I just nodded my head again.

“Skylar is the strongest person I know, and she knows how to handle this well, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to lift the responsibility from her shoulders every now and then.”

I was surprised when the woman laid one hand on my shoulder while the other cupped my cheek. Her eyes had gone shiny with tears, and I wondered or a moment what I had said before she answered my internal question.

“Thank you, Noah, for taking such good care of her. You love her just as much as we do, and I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

She had no idea how much I really did love her daughter, but either way her statement was true. I love Skylar, and I would do anything I could to help her; anyone here would have.

As I was let go and able to look over at the woman, who had successfully thrown the young teen off her lap, I wished that that would be enough to save her.