Drop Dead.

Chapter Twenty-Nine.

“Charlie,” a voice cooed, shoving my shoulder. I grumbled out an incoherent response as the owner of the voice continued to shake me. “Charlie, wake up. It’s yeh weddin’ day, love.”

“What?” I mumbled sleepily, pulling my face up from the floor. I met the amused gaze of Marcy, who’d taken to poking me in the side.

“Yeh weddin’ is in,” she paused to look at the clock on the wall, “five ‘ours. Get up! Lots to do!”

I grumbled a few more times before I lifted myself off the floor. Looking around the room, I grinned and shook my head. The girls were strewn everywhere around the room, a bottle of alcohol next to each one. None of us had gotten completely hammered the night before, but we were all a little buzzed. I ran my fingers through my hair, grimacing when they got hung up in tangles.

“Don’ worry about yeh ‘air, love. We’re gettin’ it done today anyways,” Marcy told me as she scooped up the empty bottles. The rest of the girls began to stir and once the reality set in, they all crowded around me, squealing with excitement.

“Are yeh excited? Are yeh nervous? Wha’ if yeh get cold feet?” they fired at me. I put my hands up in defense, motioning for them to settle down. But the last question got my mind reeling.

What if I did get cold feet? Would I still go through with the wedding, even if I felt like running away? Would I run away? There was no doubt in my mind that I was in love with David and marrying him would surely show him just how much. But on the other hand, marriage was a huge step, and I’d hate to see our marriage end up like so many others – divorce. True, I’d been living with David for a couple of months now, so I guess that was kind of like being married. We fought rarely, but when we did it wasn’t the kind of argument during which we wouldn’t speak to one another. So what was I worried about?

I could think of nothing as the girls shoved me into the bathroom to shower. I took my time relaxing beneath the spray, letting the hot water wash away the grime of last night. I washed and conditioned my hair, shaved, and got out, wrapped a fluffy towel around myself. Marcy advised me not to touch my eyebrows or lay a finger on my makeup since all of that would be done for me. Once my hair was dried and I was dressed, we left, branching off into two groups since not all of us could fit in Marcy’s SUV – although, sometimes, I wouldn’t doubt it if we did.

The first item on Marcy’s to-do list – and she’d actually taken the time to write down the things that needed to be done today – was to get our nails done. As we each sat in a chair, our bare feet soaking, I frowned. Melanie and I used to do this all the time, back before everything fell apart. I wondered if she’d make an appearance, and, if she did, how I’d react. No doubt I’d cry and I’d spend a lot of time apologizing. However, a little voice in the back of my head told me she wouldn’t be appearing. Marcy seemed to pick up on my sudden change in attitude and started conversation to get me away from all negative thoughts. It worked, and I was thankful that Marcy knew exactly what to say and what not to say.

“No frownin’ today, love,” she told me as we moved into the chairs for our manicures. I offered her a small smile in return and let the manicurist do her work.

By the time our nails were finished, it was almost three. The next thing on Marcy’s list was to get my hair and makeup done. That took about two hours, but the end result was well worth it. The hair stylist had curled my hair and pinned half of it up and out of my face. Then she added some shimmery spray to make my hair sparkle and stuck in a couple silver bobby pins. My bangs were curled as well and swept away from my face. The makeup was simple; dark brown eye shadow to bring out my hazel eyes, a thin layer of eyeliner on my lower lids, and the mascara brushed across my lashes was thick. The makeup artist added a small amount of lip gloss to give them some color. I smiled widely at the artist and hair stylist in the mirror. They smiled back, ecstatic that I loved their work. I tipped them generously and the girls led me out of the salon to go get my dress, then finally head over to the church.

Knots tied themselves in my stomach and during the car ride to the church, I wrung my hands together so I wouldn’t bite my newly manicured nails. A few times, Marcy had to slap my wrist when my fingers were inching towards my mouth. Since I didn’t want red wrists for my wedding, I immediately stopped and resorted to wringing them together. My breathing was quick and shallow, showing the girls just how nervous I really was. When we pulled up to the church, I was utterly astounded to see Melanie sitting on the front steps – in her bridesmaid dress. We got out and the girls gave me a few minutes, knowing somewhat of what had happened between my former best friend and me. Melanie looked up when she heard the car door slam and our gazes met.

“Hey,” I said, glancing down at the ground and biting my lip. Marcy hissed and I looked at her. She pointed at my dress and then the church and I nodded.

“Hi,” Melanie responded quietly. She, too, avoided eye contact. Jerking her thumb towards the church, she asked, “Can we talk?” I worried my bottom lip with my teeth, nodding after a few moments. I followed her into the church and she led me into one of the rooms. I noticed my dress hanging on the wall and pulled it down, requesting Melanie’s help.

As I stripped, she started to speak. “I’m sorry for ignorin’ yeh for so long, Charlie. An’ I’m sorry for kickin’ yeh out of yeh own apartment. But yeh ‘ad to know how I were feelin’! I mean, s’not everyday yeh ‘ear yeh best friend kissed yeh boyfriend. Anyway, I wanted to tell yeh that I kind of overreacted in kickin’ yeh out, but I guess yeh ‘ad no problem findin’ somewhere else?” she finished with a small, sad smile. I didn’t return it as I stepped into my dress.

“Zip me up?” I asked her; she nodded and walked over to me. It was my turn to speak. “I know yeh were angry, Mel, but yeah, yeh did overreact in kicking me out. I had to stay at Tom’s until I had enough courage to move in with David. And I told yeh: it wasn’t my fault. Oliver kissed me, both times, and, I’ll admit it, I kissed him back the second time because, yeah, I did have feelings for him, even if I was with David. I didn’t tell you the rest because I didn’t want to die before I ever got married. He told me he was in love with me, Mel, that night we went out to the bar. Yeh can ask him yourself. I’m not quite sure if he’ll tell yeh the truth, but he knows what he did. I didn’t leave David for him, though – obviously – because Oliver wasn’t worth it. He tried threatening me to bring me down with him when yeh found out everything. And I guess he succeeded. But I haven’t seen him or heard from him in months. And I’m sorry I kept it in for so long, but I was afraid of how yeh’d react. I didn’t know how to tell yeh, and when I did it just kinda came out like word vomit. I couldn’t stop myself. So…I’m sorry. And I’m really, really happy yeh decided to come.”

Mel had tears in her eyes by the time I was finished and I wasn’t too far behind. I turned away from the mirror and tried to blink my tears back. Mel smiled a watery grin at me.

“Don’t cry, Char. Yeh’ll smudge yeh makeup,” she sobbed, reaching up to wipe away a tear that managed to escape. I laughed quietly and opened my arms to her. She didn’t hesitate when she walked into my embrace and I hugged her tightly. The emotions welling up inside me were almost too much to bear and I managed to avoid bawling my eyes out right there.

The rest of the girls came in when they were dressed and I properly introduced them to my best friend, who greeted the girls with much enthusiasm.

“I know yeh’ve all ‘eard of me, and not under the best circumstances, so I just want all of yeh to know that Charlie’s been my best friend for years and even though I was angry wiff ‘er, I’d never forget our friendship and the ‘ard times we went through together. And, I guess, tha’s wha’ made me realize that I needed to stop bein’ so stubborn and apologize for bein’ a proper bitch to ‘er. I ‘ope yeh don’ all let our past problems determine yeh opinions of me because I’m really not tha’ bad,” she ended with a final chuckle. I felt a sense of pride for my best friend and glanced warily at the rest of the girls. They seemed to mull over her words before they all exchanged glances and wide smiles lit up their faces.

“Anyone who stands up for herself like tha’ is all righ’ in my book,” Lindsay chirped, the girls quickly agreeing. The girls helped me to finish preparing and then David’s father walked in – he would be the one to give me away since my own father was not there to do it.

“Are you sure you don’t want Tom to give you away?” he asked me as the girls filed out of the room, grinning brightly at me as they did so. I smiled back at them and then turned the grin on Phil.

“Yeh like the father I didn’t have, Dad,” I told him earnestly. He, in fact, was like the father I didn’t have, and he even insisted I call him Dad. He beamed and hugged me, kissing both of my cheeks. I smiled back at him as the wedding march began. He held his arm out to me and I gladly took it as he led me out of the room.

When we stepped out for everyone to see, they were all turned around, smiling widely. But I was focused on David at the altar, waiting for me. Then my smile started to fade and my nerves kicked in again. Without another thought I let go of Phil’s arm and took off out of the church, startling everyone inside – not to mention I probably broke David’s heart by doing so. I collapsed onto the front steps, shoving my head into my arms as I sobbed, of the church and, fortunately, no one came to find me.

“Charlie?” My head snapped up at that voice, the voice I’d know anywhere. When I looked up, my worst fears were confirmed. Oliver stood on the sidewalk, in a tux, staring at me in bewilderment. “Wha’…wha’ are yeh doin’?”

“What’s it look like?” I snapped sharply as another sob escaped my lips. I put a hand to my forehead as Oliver slowly approached me and sat down next to me. “I can’t do this, Oliver.”

“Why are yeh sayin’ tha’?” he questioned, cautiously moving a hand to my back. His hand rubbed circles into my back soothingly. “Yeh love David, don’t yeh?” I nodded. “An’ ‘e sure as shit loves yeh. So wha’s the issue?” I could think of none and I shrugged my shoulders, chewing on my bottom lip.

“Charlie, jus’ ‘cause yeh scared doesn’t mean yeh gotta run away from it. Trust me, I know. Runnin’ from yeh fears proves nothin’ except one thing: yeh a coward. An’ yeh, Charlie, are not a coward. Not like me. Yeh one of the strongest lasses I’ve ever met, yeh and Mel, an’ I don’t wanna see a smidge of fear in yeh. S’not yeh,” he told me quietly. I looked up at him, wondering where those words had come from. He was right though; he was a coward. And I…I wasn’t. Even when my best friend abandoned me and Oliver had threatened me, I hadn’t let those events destroy me. Instead, I kept pressing on and wound up here, on the day of my wedding, crying my eyes out on the front steps of the church with the man who’d nearly destroyed me. And it was then that I realized, if I could withstand months of neither seeing nor speaking to my best friend, then I could withstand anything. Oliver Sykes would not be my downfall.

And with that thought in my head, I nodded and stood up, holding out a hand to help Oliver up as well. He smiled sadly down at me as I looked at the doors of the church, where eighty-odd people were waiting for me to walk down that aisle and say my vows. Oliver gave me a reassuring grin, but I didn’t return it as I strode up those stairs, yanked open those doors, and rejoined Phil in front of my friends and family.

“Sorry,” I whispered to him as I looped my arm through his and the wedding march picked up again. He just chuckled beside me and patted my hand on his arm. He kissed my cheek as we reached the altar and David came down to get me. Together, we walked up to the priest, who started the ceremony.

“What was that about?” David muttered quietly so he wouldn’t disturb the priest. I looked up at him and just shook my head. “Have you been crying?”

“Yeah, but…it wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle,” I told him honestly. And as we faced each other, prepared to say our vows, I saw Oliver in the back of the church, standing with his hands clasped in front of him, watching. I smiled a little in his direction and wondered if Melanie had seen him as well.

And as the priest recited the words, “You may now kiss the bride,” and David lifted my veil, I realized that, because of Oliver Sykes, I would not be here, kissing my husband in front of my closest friends and family. I didn’t think of where I would be instead; in the back of my head, I was silently thanking Oliver for bringing me the utmost happiness.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...it's over. This was absolutely, positively one of the best stories I've written in my opinion, and I'm glad so many of you enjoyed reading it! I know I surely enjoyed writing it, even if I did hit a few snags along the way - but that's expected right? I would like some more suggestions about who to write about next. So far, I have a request for an old school Bill Beckett, Forever The Sickest Kids, and Danny Worsnop of Asking Alexandria. Figures people choose musicians that I'm barely familiar with :P But that's fine; just means more research. At the moment, and after looking up a photo of him, I'm leaning towards Danny Worsnop :3 However, I'd still like some more ideas! :D I want to thank everyone who ever took the time to read this story - trust me, I was not planning on it turning out like this - and a million thanks to those who commented. There were a lot of you! Pretty much all of you were consistent with commenting after every chapter, and I really appreciated all the feedback! I'm sorry that this is ending, and if I had any more ideas for this, I would definitely consider a sequel. Unfortunately, not all stories deserve one and I wouldn't want to force a sequel on a story that doesn't need one, you know? Anyways, thank you all for reading, subscribing, and commenting. It all means a great deal to me.

Tell me, though: was the ending what you were expecting?

*Oh and if Phil wasn't what I'd named David's father, could someone please remind me what it was so I can fix it? Thanks! :)
Feedback is greatly appreciated.