Operation Undercover Friendship

Chapter 3

Shadows disconnected the phone call, sighing in frustration. He'd given his Mother his work number in case of emergencies yet she seemed to call it every few days to check up on him. Shadows closed the phone, putting it back into his pocket. The afternoon sun beat down onto his black clothing, dutifuly absorbing the heat. Shadows ran a hand along his brow and wiped it on his pants. Three more days, he told himself. With that thought in mind he stepped onto the air conditioned bus, thankful to have a safe haven to retreat to when the heat became too much. He pittied the newcomers who were forced to tour in a van; he knew what it was like. Shadows took his shoes off at the front door, quickly making his way to the back room. The bus seemed empty for the most part, that was until Shadows opened the door to the back room. His eyes widened in confusion as his gaze fell upon a man clad in all black, the back of his head facing Shadows.

"Hello Matthew, do come in."

Shadows breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing the man speak; it was James Hart, one of his partners. Shadows scratched the back of his head, walking closer to the man before him. He was quite surprised to see the older man on his tour bus; he'd travelled from Orange County all the way to New York. Whatever he had to discuss with him must have been important for him to go through all of that trouble. Shadows took a seat beside James, motioning for the man to continue.

"I am sure you're surpised to see me."

Shadows smirked, "I am, actually. What brings you here James?"

"We have recently come to believe that someone on the park grounds has been spying on you and the rest of the band."

The colour drained from Shadows' face, "do you have any leads?"

"Yeah, all evidence points to one guy, he's a kid really. His Uncle is in cahoots with Benji and Joel. He's the head CEO of some corporation, I am assuming he loaned them money so that they could start their... business."

"Is he with one of the bands?"

"He's in one of the bands." James spoke, his tone deadly serious.

Shadows stood in fury, "what's the faggot's name?"

James pulled Shadows back into a sitting position, trying to calm his friend's nerves. "His name is Alexander Gaskarth. He's seventeen years old and sings lead vocals in the band All Time Low. They're newcomers to the tour this year."

Shadows clenched his jaw, pulling his fists into abnormally tight balls. The knuckles in his hands turning white under the pressure. His eyes shone with anger as his temper began to soar to new heights. Anyone who threatened his career and his friends had but one thing coming. Shadows stood up again, pacing in the closed quarters. How would he get the kid alone long enough to give him one hell of a roughing up around the edges?

He looked James straight in the eyes, "where can I find this Gaskarth kid?"

James shook his head, standing up in order to block the now closed doorway. The look in his eyes told Shadows that he knew what was going to happen to this Gaskarth character once Shadows left the bus; James was one of Shadows' bestfriends, it was expected that he'd know. Shadows sighed in defeat, plopping back down in the chair for the second time in ten minutes. Thew two sat in an uncomfortable silence for what seemed like ages. Once the silence had become deafening Shadows stood, advancing toward James.

"I promise I'll act natural around the kid. I just want to see if I can get any indication as to whether these rumours are true or not. Just because his Uncle is in on the business doesn't mean that the kid is as well."

James sighed, "he could be guilty by association Shadows; blood is thicker than water."

"I know, I know. I'll only talk to him, I promise. If I see that things are going downhill I'll change the subject to music or something."

James cocked an eyebrow, "fine. But do not make me regret this Sanders; you're one of my best men and friends, I can't have you turning up dead tomorrow morning."

"James, he is just a kid for fuck's sake. When I was seventeen all I cared about was fucking and drinking, you have no worries. Besides, he's probably a little pansy."

"You'd better be right about that one; if not we're in serious fuckin' trouble."

"You have nothing to worry about James. I'll even wear my vest if that'll make you feel better."

James nodded, "it would make me feel a bit better. Bring Synyster with you; he's the only one that can restrain you if that anger problem of yours takes over again."

"I don't need a babysitter James!" Shadows groaned.

"I know that Sanders, think of Synyster as a body guard for the... opponent, for lack of a better word."

"I guess I can live with that."

"You bet your ass that you can live with that. I'll be here when you get back."

Shadows' face contorted in confusion while James grinned. "I'm gonna travel with you guys for the last few dates. Mick was going to come but he had the family to look after and all."

Shadows shook his head in amusement, "as if that man considers his two dogs to be 'the family', are you sure he isn't mentally ill?"

"We could always drag him onto a taping of the Dr. Phil show, I'm sure he'd be able to tell us."

"As amazing as that sounds, I am sure that I'd be the one leaving with some sort of illness simply because I ressemble the bad people of this world." Shadows threw up his arms in a gesture of exasperation. "If only they knew."

"In due time everyone will know Matt. We just have to be patient."

"That patience line is becoming a real drag and so old; I've been patient for five fucking years now. When is this going to end!?"

"You're not the only one that feels that way Matt, believe me."

"At least the boss let Eighteen Visions break up. I'm so sick of this lifestyle."

James' eyes clouded over in sadness. "Eighteen Visions didn't break up by choice Matt, you know that as well as I do. Trevor was being stalked by the wrong people, it wasn't good for us anymore. Damn do I miss touring." He smiled in sadness.