Operation Undercover Friendship

Chapter 4

Unlike Shadows, James Hart had loved being a part of the music industry, even though he was forced into it. He loved the lights, the sounds, the crowds of people who flocked to the shows. James Hart was a real entertainer by nature and when he wasn't on stage he felt almost useless; he never knew what to do with himself. He desperately longed to be a part of something like that again but knew it could never happen as long as Trevor was in the witness protection system. Once some answers could be derived from the Madden Twins, James could have his life back, his friends back. He couldn't wait to get back on the road, to share a tour bus with Mick, Trevor, and Kevin again. It had been too long for James' taste. Music was one of James Hart's only passions in life, other than putting criminals behind bars. That was somethng that he was exceedingly good at. He could smell a criminal miles away; he'd been in the field too long to be fooled easily anymore.

Shadows spared a sympathetic glance to his friend, "since the tour is coming to an end what would you think of joining me on stage for a few songs?"

James' eyes lit up, instantly springing to life. "Are you serious?"

"Sure, I mean you love this whole gig. Since I really don't but I am stuck with it, it's only fair that I use it to make someone happy."

"Thank you so much Matt, it means a lot; you have no idea how I have missed this part of my life." The older man sprang forward, grabbing his friend tightly arond the middle. He gave a tight squeeze before letting go.

"Don't mention it. Just promise me that you won't go on stage in that get up." Shadows said pointing toward James' suit.

James chuckled, "you know that I hate suits Sanders, the bossman made me wear it here."

Shadows rolled his eyes. "Yeah, well you stick out like a sore thumb. Put on some real clothes before you leave the bus."

"Okay mother, will do." James gave Shadows a thumbs up, walking past the younger man and into the front part of the bus. Shadows followed after him, watching as he took a seat in front of the television set. Picking up the remote he glanced in my direction. "Man, how come Eighteen Visions never got a set up like this. I want a damn plasma screen tv too! Cheap bastards, I tell you."

Shadows smirked, "because we've sold more records than you. We get more perks just because we move units."

"Thanks for that Mr. Wentz, really."

Shadows felt his face become hot, "whatever man, at least he's right. He is right, isn't he?"

"I suppose so, to some degree yes."

Shadows smiled, "good to know, good to know."

James glaced in Shadows' direction, then looked outside. "Shouldn't you be off trying to track down Synyster by now? You were all for finding that kid five minutes ago."

"Oh yeah, the kid..." Shadows walked off the bus, yelling over his shoulder, "I'll be back soon with some answers hopefully."

James waved Shadows off, his attention fixed solely on the television screen. Shadows shook his head in amusement, continuing his search for Synyster. He figured that he'd find him hanging out by the main stage; Good Charlotte were playing their set right now and catching a show or two was always considered a friendly thing to do. On his journey toward the main stage Shadows came to a halt as he found his body coming into contact with that of another. The person he had run into was now sprawled out on the ground below him. Feeling sorry for the boy, Shadows extended a hand out. The boy gladly accepted the offered hand, letting his body be hoisted up by Shadows. The boy quickly collected himself, dusting off the knees of his jeans and searching for any lacerations upon his tanned complexion. He had short, messy blonde hair that was accented by a white bandana.

"Sorry about that man, I didn't see you coming." He smiled, a look of embarrassment adorning his youthful features.

"Don't sweat it man, it happens to the best of us." Shadows let out a whole-hearted laugh. Sticking out his hand he spoke softly, "the name's Shadows and who may you be?"

The boy took Shadows' hand, shaking it with a firm grip. Shadows was impressed by this; a firm handshake was a sign of good character; Shadows liked people who had good character, it was those types of people that made the world a better place. "Nice to meet you Shadows, I'm Alex Gaskarth. You're the vocalist of Avenged Sevenfold, right?"

Shadows grinned, "in the flesh and you're the vocalist of All Time Low."

Alex tried to supress the surprise on his face, "you've heard of us? We're just a little band from Atlanta, it's our first year on the tour this year."

Shadows nodded, "is that you van over there?" He stuck a finger in the direction of the busses.

Alex groaned, "that would be it. Please do not remind me; the air conditioning broke halfway to the Dallas stop over a month ago. It's like an oven in there."

"I feel for you man, I really do. I've been there and it's not fun." Shadows clapped a hand on Alex's shoulder.

"I am so glad that this tour is almost over with. It's been fun and all but I want to go home." Alex sighed, shoulders slightly slumped.

"I definitely agree with that. Well, it's been nice talking but I was actually on my way to the main stage, Good Charlotte are playing their set and I wanted to catch part of it. Care to join me?"

Alex's features contorted, mirroring a feeling of disgust. "Nah, I think I'll pass. I don't really get along with Benji and Joel very well; they're into some things that I just can't stomach."

Shadows shot Alex a look of confusion. "What kind of things?"

"Oh you know just um..." Alex gulped. "They're into the drug scene. I mean, doing them that is." Alex's eyes threatened to pop out of his skull as he searched for the words to fill in the hole he'd dug. "I should probably get going. I have a show to play soon you know. It was nice meeting you."

"Nice to meet you too Alex, don't hesitate to drop by the bus before we leave."

"Cool, maybe I will. You know, you're a lot nicer than you look. I've heard some scary stories."

Shadows smirked, "oh how I love the infamous rumour mill. Talk to you later Gaskarth."

Now it was Alex's time to smirk, "catch you later, Sanders."

Shadows' eyes went wide, his body stiffening involuntarily. He wanted to go after the boy, to wrap his hands around his tiny neck and squeeze the life out of him. Shadows knew he couldn't do that though; he couldn't risk blowing his cover. So instead he turned around, making his way back to the bus. Hoisting himself up the steps, Shadows paused in reflection, one hand loosely encircled around the handle, the other fishing around in his jeans pocket. Shadows wrenched the door open, swiftly stepping into the bus. The air conditioning was on full boar, flitting around his exposed arms and shoulders, causing a chill to run through his body.