Operation Undercover Friendship

Chapter 6

Warped Tour was finally over and Shadows could not have been happier. He was sitting by the pool in his own backyard, listening to the hum of lawnmowers in the distance. The peaceful silence was a welcomed change from the constant noise. As he basked in the sun's warm rays, hoping to even out his farmer's tan he heard a slightly giggle. He didn't know whom the voice belonged to and wasn't sure if he wanted to find out. His family didn't know he was home yet and the guys were all visiting with old friends and family, leaving Shadows to his own devices for a few days. Shadows didn't have anyone other than his band and James. Since the voice most definitely did not belong to James he straightened up in the lounge chair, dragging his aviators onto the top of his head. He heard the giggle again and quickly searched for the source of the sound. His eyes came to rest upon Alex Gaskarth.

Shadows frowned deeply, how did this boy whom he'd only met once before know where he lived? This was becoming all too strange for him; he didn't like the unknown; he didn't like not being in total control of a situation. Shadows watched in silence as Alex hauled a vacant lawn chair up beside him. When Alex had made himself comfortable he noticed the look of uncertainty on his face. Alex smiled warmly at Shadows, wasting no time in explaining why he was visiting the older vocalist at his own home.

"I know, I know. You're probably wondering what the fuck I am doing here."

"You've got that damn right." Shadows growled in frustration.

"I'm here to discuss some clandestine details with you."

"I'm listening; this better be damn good."

"Oh believe me, you're not going to want to miss this."

"Get on with it already." Shadows spit through grit teeth.

"I know all about your secret. Actually, I know about the others as well."

Shadows made to get up, fury written in his hazel orbs but Alex held a hand up. "Now, before you do something you're going to regret let me finish."

By now Shadows was fuming, "I don't have to listen to your sorry ass. Look at yourself, I could take you in my sleep!"

"That very well may be Matthew but I suggest that you not try it."

Shadows roared with laughter, "who's going to stop me, you?"

Alex chuckled lowly, "I won't lay a single finger on you but my uncle on the other hand. He has an arsenal and a multitude of hired hitmen that say you won't make it out alive."

The colour instantly drained from Shadows face as the smile slipped away with it. Alex smirked, "I figured that would get your attention quite nicely; you undercover cops are all the same."

Shadows clenched and unclenched his fits multiple times, trying desperately to subdue the anger that was threatening to take hold of his entire being. "What do you want from me?"

"It's simple really; I want nothing from you."

Shadows raised an eyebrow in confusion, "I don't follow you."

"That's because you haven't given me enough time to fully explain myself now sit the fuck down and shut up."

"Fine, you win. I'll shut up."

"It's nice to see that you're willing to behave."

Shadows rolled his eyes, a gesture of frank disbelief. "It seems as though my uncle has taken up arms with the Madden twins. I myself am not sure how he convinced them to accept his help; those two are headstrong and extremely dangerous. They have nearly every known drug fiend in this state either working for them or buying from them. If I weren't such a nice guy I'd admire them for their business skills, however business skills aside what they are doing isn't right nor is it legal."

Shadows nodded, "that much is very true."

Alex mirrored Shadows' actions before continuing. "I love my uncle, don't get me wrong; I work for him afterall. That being said, I was kept completely in the dark about this entire business venture. I have only recently become aware of who he has been funneling money from the company to. He has it hidden very well but he forgets that it is still quite easy to tap phonelines and hack computers in that place; security operations are not failproof."

Shadows was now becoming very curious about the information that this boy was loaded with. He also wondered what length he was willing to go to help Shadows with the case or if those were his intentions at all. "So you're saying that you have proof of your uncle's illegal dabblings?"

Alex passively shook his head in the positive, "I have all sorts of evidence. Maybe not enough to prosecute him but enough to get you a warrant to search his place. I also know that the Maddens are supposed to be moving in nextdoor to you in a matter of days. I thought it best to warn you that they are extremely fickle. You very well may have earned their trust although it may come at a price later on. If at anytime they request that you preform an illegal task, inform me immediately; I will tell my uncle and have him sort things out. My uncle does not like when outsiders tamper with his schemes; it compromises security."

Shadows ran a hand through his hair, laying still in comtemplation for many minutes. "Is that everything?" He finally spoke.

"I suppose so yes. In the meantime you and the guys lay low. Don't send in any bodyguards for me; I'll be fine. My uncle won't question my legitimacy, I know him. He will however question yours if you become too large of a glimmer on his radar. Therefore I will act as a mole, delivering you guys inside information when I can."

"How do I know that we can trust you?"

Alex lazily shrugged. "You don't."

"Why would you want to help us then?"

"Let's just say that vengeance is sweet. I have yet to repay the Madden twins for something rotten they did to me many yeas ago. It's been a long time coming and if I can help the good guys get them behind bars even quicker than expected then I figure we'll be even."

"You realize in doing this you're putting yourself in danger and your uncle will most likely be detained as well?"

"That's no skin off my back. I never did like the man anyway; he's too much like my father."

Alex stood up and walked across the patio to the back gate, slipping out unnoticed. He turned around slightly, leaning back through a small opening in the gate, "I'll be in touch Shadows." With a quick nod and a faint tip of his trucker hat he was gone as quick as he had appeared.