Operation Undercover Friendship

Chapter 7

It had been three days since Alex's first appearance on the scene. Shadows was again lounging by the poolside except this time he was not alone. By now all of the guys had returned from their visits with family and such, breathing life back into the empty house. Shadows preferred the times like these; times when he could just kick back and relax with his bestfriends, share some beers, have some laughs and endure non-stop partying on the daily.

In the short while the other four men had been absent from the house's wake, the Madden twins had carted their belongings into the house next door. Nothing that wasn't expected had gone down but the guys were always on the look-out, digging for a new piece to the intricate puzzle. Shadows had informed the men of Alex's visitation the minute they had stepped through the door, calling on their opinions. Unanimously they had decided that they had no reason not to trust Alex.

True to his word, that morning Alex had called Shadows, setting up a date and time for their next meeting. Alex informed his uncle that it would be an impromptu business appointment in order to keep him off their backs. In order to ensure both men's safety the other four men would be tagging along, disguising themselves as regular civillians. If anything were to happen, backup would be called for right away; James would be manning the office building.

Shadows dressed in anything but his regular attire. Instead of going for the expected business man approach, he'd decided to dawn a pair of flip flops and a hawaiian themed button-up shirt. His hair was left to its own devices and looked oddly different compared to the norm. He placed his aviator glasses atop his head, and picked up the backpack he'd placed by the door moments before. The backpack had never been used; it was a gift from his parents. They had given it to him when he graduated highschool, in hopes that he would go to college or something. However, Matthew Sanders being ever the predictable soul chose a career instead of college. A career that was just about as safe and common as walking on broken glass; not many people dared to do it and those who did were or would soon be insane.

Shadows stepped into his BMW, closed the door and gunned the engine. The rest of Avenged had already left so Shadows wouldn't appear suspicious looking; why would a regular man need four men following him around at all times? It didn't take very long for Shadows to arrive at the Pier. Stepping out of his car, he cautiously scanned the area for his friends. Easily spotting The Rev; he was dressed as a surveyor and was pretending to check the area for a building contractor. Zacky was behind The Rev, pulling equipment out of the back of their van. The two wore flourescent hard hats and Shadows had to stifle a laugh as he walked by.

Synyster was sitting on a longue chair down by the ocean, while Johnny was building a sand castle with his "neice", a pretty litte brunette girl whom we'd hired from an agency. Shadows ignored the three as he approached the quiet little, ocean-side ice cream parlor. He did a quick double take of his surroundings before entering the tiny shack. As he pulled the door open, bells sounded throughout the establishment, signalling to the staff that someone had actually entered. Shadows removed his sunglasses, giving a quick nod and smile to the waitress standing at the cash register.

"Would you like some ice cream? We have over 50 flavours. Today's special is triple chocolate chunk." She spoke.

Instead of going up to order something, Shadows shook his head and looked around for Alex, noticing him right away. He was dressed similarly to Shadows, except he wore a brightly coloured laii around his neck and was holding a banana in front of his face, examining the frsh fruit's yellow peel.

"Yes, it is a banana."

Alex fumbled with the fruit, seemingly caught off-guard by Shadows' remark. "I noticed." He finally stuttered out.

Shadows sat down, dropping the backpack at his feet, "let's get on with this then."

Alex nodded cooly, retreiving a folder from his duffle bag. He laid it down on the flat table top, and pushed it toward Shadows. Shadows picked it up, heart set on opening the cover to reveal its contents. Alex placed a hand on top of Shadows' closing the folder. Shadows glanced up at the younger man, confusion written on his face. Alex took a look around before whispering, "don't open it here; you never know who could be watching."

Shadows nodded his ascent, "is this everything?"

Alex rose from his seat, "for now, yes. I'll call you as soon as I hear of any developments." He then grabbed his duffle bag and made for the back exit. Stopping briefly to say one last thing. "Oh, and Shadows? Tell the guys that you're having a welcome to the neighbourhood party for the Maddens this weekend. we can't let them catch on."

Shadows shook his head in the affirmative and Alex smiled before putting on a pair of sunglasses and leaving, the door making a soft clicking noise behind him.

Sparing a quick glance to the folder lying upon the table top, Shadows sighed "I think I'll take that ice cream now."