Operation Undercover Friendship

Chapter 9

Matt's eyes widened in shock as he heard those two words, Officer Sanders. He could feel the palms of his hands growing most and a bolt of fear ran through every nerve ending in his body. As he stood, feet planted firmly on the ground, questions began to cycle through his mind. Had Alex set them up? Was this going to be the last day of his life? Had Jimmy made it out okay? Who else was helping Benji and Joel? From the corner he was standing in, Matt could hear Johnny's quiet whimpers, muffled through the duct tape that was now covering his mouth. Matt watched as the smaller man struggled, tangled up in ropes, bound and silenced.

Matt's eyes reverted back to the man who was holding the gun, hearing a cold chuckle slip between his lips. The backyard had grown silent after Jimmy fled the scene in search of back up. Matt hoped and prayed that Jimmy had been able to alert James, or to at least make sure the other guys were okay; this was not how things were supposed to turn out; Matt was supposed to walk away from this a free man. Instead of bringing a pair of criminals to justice, Matt had fallen into a trap and was now at the mercy of the two men.

Joel enjoyed watching Matt in this weak and inferior state, he always loved to make his victims squirm. He was hoping that it wouldn't come to this but that damn Sanders asshole didn't know well enough to leave him and his illegal affairs, be. So, far everything seemed to be going according to plan, however he was starting to worry about Benji; it shouldn't have taken him this long to off the other three. Joel studied Matt's features, a slight smirk coming to his face as he did so. It really was such a shame that Matt's life was about to be wasted, oh the things Joel would have liked to do to the man; afterall, he wasn't exactly ugly by any means.

Joel's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a gunshot. The noise tore through the atmosphere, jarring each of the men standing inside of Johnny's bedroom. Joel ran to the window which overlooked the backyard, peering through a tiny slit in the blinds. A chill ran down his spine as his eyes scanned the are in search of his brother, his band mates. Joel couldn't see anything from where he was, other than an empty lot. After a split second of silence, another gun shot pierced the air around them, sending fear into both vocalists, and ripping a muffled scream from the bassist.

By now Matt's pulse was growing faster and faster, the adrenaline pumping through his veins, beads of sweat collecting on his forehead. He could hear a slight commotion coming from inside the house and knew it was only a matter of time before the police showed up. He could hear footsteps coming up the stairs and his breath hitched in his throat as the door opened, relief cascaded over the younger vocalist as he watched Jimmy emerge through the doorway, a gun held securely in his hand.

He pointed the weapon in Joel's direction. "Put that fucking gun down."

"Welcome back James, how nice of you to join our party." Joel sneered.

"I said put the fucking gun down, Joel!"

In all of the years that Matt had known Jimmy, he'd never heard him speak in such a serious tone as he was now. Joel's eyebrow's rose in amusement, the smirk vanishing from his face for a moment before it slowly crept back.

Joel grinned in Matt's direction, "Well, well. Who would have thought that the big bad wolf would have to be rescued by the giant bean stalk."

Jimmy began to shake, anger present in his every movement. "Shut the fuck up before I shoot you right between the fucking eyes, Madden."

"Your threats don't scare me James, you're just a pathetic crack head. I don't even know why the police force hired you. Yeah, I've seen your criminal records. I know more about you than you do yourself."

"You ain't got shit on me, Madden. If you don't put that fucking gun now, I promise I will do to you what I did to your brother."

Joel fell silent, a flash of fear hidden in his brown orbs. "You didn't touch him, you don't have the guts."

Jimmy stepped forward, knocking the gun out of Joel's hand and kicking it across the room to Matt, who quickly bent over and picked it up. This time it was Matt's turn to smirk, "you obviously didn't do a thorough background check on James then."

Jimmy smiled, "before I joined the band, I spent 5 years in jail for killing my step father. I won't hesitate to kill you too, Madden; you don't mean shit to me."