Sequel: Lines Are Crossed
Status: Completed. Check out the Sequel ➔

It Takes More

Ten; You saved me from myself.

“Are you sure you’re okay, Ellie?” Asher asked for the twentieth time. We were walking into Junkie’s for our four o’clock shift.

I put on the most convincing smile I could muster. “I told you, Ash, I’m fine.”

He nodded. I could tell he still didn’t believe me. And I didn’t miss the hurt in his eyes from me not opening up to him. He got that look a lot; like when the subject of my past, my family, and anything relating to the East Coast came up.

“You two are late,” Angie sang as she walked past us with a crate of brand new glasses in her arms.

“Sorry, Ang,” Asher apologized.

I walked into the girls’ locker room, in part to get away from my oversensitive and over caring boyfriend. I hung my sweater on a hook before grabbing my black apron and tying it around my waist.

I tousled my hair in the mirror before walking to the back room to get the bar ready to open.

~~~


For a Thursday night, Junkie’s was packed. I had been on my feet since doors opened and my feet were beginning to protest. The upside though, Asher and I hadn’t had a chance to exchange more than two words in passing. And thankfully, ‘are you okay?’ weren’t any of those words.

“Hey Miss, can I get a refill, please?” an older gentleman called from my right.

“Sure thing, Scotty.” I took his tall glass and stuck it under the tap, allowing the amber liquid to fill the glass. I set the fresh beer in front of him as my name was called again.

“Elena! Another round for my friend, here,” a male on the other end of the bar called. I looked over, seeing that Asher was right in front of him—perfectly capable of pouring a round of shots for the two guys.

I walked over, a smile plastered on my face. “What’ll it be?” I asked distractedly.

“Well, I’ll take a car bomb. Marc here’ll take another round with you,” he winked.

“Excuse me?” I asked, zeroing in on the two, recognizing their faces. Marc blushed slightly as he shoved his friend.

“Don’t mind him. How’re you?” he asked.

“Oh. Marc, hey. I’m good. Busy. But—good.”

“Good.” He smiled as I pushed two shots in front of him and his friend from the night before.

“Am I interrupting something?” Asher asked, eyeing Marc as he reached into the icebox in front of me.

“Uh, no. Ash, this is my friend Marc. We, uh, met last night at the club Marla took me to,” I explained.

His eyes bounced from mine to Marcs. “Hey, man. I’m Asher, Ellie’s—”

“Her boyfriend. Yeah, I know, man. Don’t worry.”

Asher’s shoulders seemed to loosen as he realized that Marc knew I had a boyfriend. I smiled slightly, waving at Marc before making my way to a new customer.

A tall blonde girl with the prettiest almost black eyes leaned over the bar, her cleavage leaving nothing to the imagination. “Yes?”

“Um, can I get a Cosmo?” she asked unsurely.

I nodded, turning to grab a bottle from the shelf when I heard his voice. “Actually, she’ll have a Vodka and Coke. Make that two.”

I didn’t bother turning back to the voice. Instead I made the two drinks, and brought them back to the couple. “Here’s your Vodka and Coke, Alex. And here’s your Cosmo.” I smiled at the girl before walking away.

“Elena!”

I looked back and rolled my eyes, sharing a look with the girl—a caution of sorts; Get Away From Him, He'll Only Hurt You! I didn’t bother to see if she’d heed my warning.

“What was that?” Asher asked as I walked past him into the back room, taking off my apron.

“I’m going to tell Angie to cover for me. I don’t feel all that great,” I said, pretending I didn’t hear his question.

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you tomorrow, then?” I nodded. “Feel better. I love you,” he cooed before pressing his lips to mine softly. I melted into the kiss, enjoying the feel of his lips against mine. He pulled away as he walked backwards back behind the bar. “Be careful getting home!”

“Of course.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, I don't really like this chapter. But, what the hey.