Sequel: Let Me In

Papercut

Detroit-Fireworks

It’s dark, but I tend to see more clearly in this light.

I scratched my arms nervously the whole time I told my friends the story not many people seemed to know. I could feel their eyes looking over all of my bruises, and prayed that they wouldn’t play the pity card on me once I was done.

“Then as soon as he left, I packed everything up and wound up here,” I said finishing the story, “And please, don’t say sorry. I really don’t want your pity.”

“Just know we’re always here for you,” Jess said breaking the awkward silence that had settled over us.

“Thank you,” I said with a small smile, “Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to go out front and smoke.”

They all sent small smiles, and I grabbed my keys from the coffee table and headed outside. I walked to my car and fished my new pack of 27’s from my glove box, while searching around for a lighter. I finally found an old Bic one, and relocked my car while packing down the cigarettes. I pushed myself up onto the hood of my car, and watched the last few rays of sun disappeared from the sky.

I felt someone sit next to me, and I knew it was Josh without even looking. I silently handed him my lighter, and I could hear his cigarette start to burn. I tapped another one out of my pack, and lit it inhaling the intoxicating nicotine.

“The night’s the one time I actually feel free,” I said keeping my eyes in front of me, “It’s like I can see everything I can’t in the day. I know that sounds ridiculous, but everything feels clearer.”

I noticed Josh nod out of the corner of my eye, and flicked my cigarette butt onto the street. I hopped off of the car, and motioned for Josh to follow, before walking towards sidewalk along the main road. Josh followed behind me, and we walked a few blocks in silence.

“Are you ever going to tell me what made you come to your senses tonight?” Josh asked as we crossed yet another deserted street.

“It’s kind of embarrassing,” I said scratching my neck, “But he was having sex with me, and I guess I moaned out your name instead of his. I don’t know what came over me.”

“I’m really glad you left him, finally,” Josh said pulling me into a side hug as we waited at a stop light, “I really care about you, and I hated to see you in so much physical and emotional pain. You deserve so much better.”

“You have no idea how much that means to me,” I said returning his hug, “You’re the only person I feel I can talk to when I need to. You’ve stuck by my side, and have definitely seen me at my worst.”

We walked for about 10 before deciding it was time to head back to the apartment. Somewhere along the way, Josh’s hand brushed mine, and I did the boldest thing I could at that moment, I grabbed it. He looked at me with a smirk, and we continued back to the apartment.