‹ Prequel: Confessions
Status: Complete!

These Are the Fast Times

Summer Hair = Forever Young: Part 2

Melanie (Melly)

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I sit on the couch leaning against Michael, bored meanwhile Mike and William play videogames.

It’s weird with Lila and Victoria gone, to say the least.

And it’s strange being the only girl in the group.

Basically…I miss them.

Butcher’s been really off lately as well.

He’s sitting around, staring blankly at the screen as if he’s watching Mike and William’s game.

“Heads or tails?” Sisky asks for the hundredth time, flipping a quarter with his thumb and catching it.

“Tails,” Michael replies absently, like he did ten seconds ago.

“It’s heads,” Sisky offers.

Fuck…” I groan, resting my head on Michael’s shoulder. “When did we get so Goddamn boring?

“Okay then. What brilliant suggestions do you have for us to do?” Mike asks, distracted.

“I don’t know,” I admit, shrugging.

“Wanna drink?” Sisky says, flipping his coin again.

“We drank yesterday,” I point out, rolling my eyes. “And the day before, too…”

“Heads we drink, tails we don’t,” he says, flipping the coin.

“What is it?” Michael asks.

“Tails,” Sisky replies, sounding disappointed. He pauses. “Fuck it. I’m still drinking.” He gets up and goes for the fridge. “Anyone want a beer?” he calls from the kitchen.

“Me,” William and Mike answer immediately, in a strangely simultaneous fashion.

“I’d rather have a life,” I reply. Michael chuckles a little under his breath. “Hey Butcher, they’re hiring at the art store a few blocks away,” I try, remembering his constant complaints about being unemployed. “I know someone that works there.” He doesn’t say anything for awhile, and I turn to glance at Michael, who shrugs back at me.

“Yeah?” Butcher finally replies. Then it’s quiet again, save for Sisky fumbling with an armful of beer cans and a few swears from Mike losing to William in their game.

“I give up,” I announce dully. “I’m going to sleep.” I get up from my spot leaning on Michael and kiss him on the cheek.

“Want me to come?” he asks in my ear.

“You don’t have to,” I reply.

I go to our room, change, and get under the covers, sighing.

I can’t help but miss the way things used to be, even though not much has changed since then anyway.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I finish packing up the soundboard and head over behind the bar counter to start my second shift of the night. It’s a Thursday feels like it’ll be a very slow night.

“What can I get y-” I begin, turning around to face the person at the counter.

I immediately roll my eyes at my first customer.

“What do you want, Sisky?”

Lesson one of bartending: Never serve your friends.

…they don’t tip.

“Two beers,” he says, handing over cash. “Figured I’d bring Butcher out. Help him forget about Lila for a while.”

“How’s that going?” I ask, retrieving two bottles.

“Terrible,” he groans. “Do you know how Lila’s doing?”

“I haven’t talked to her in a few days,” I admit. “She’s been pretty tied up with that internship. But she can’t be as bad as he is…” I point out, nodding over to Butcher sitting alone at a table nearby. “I’m sure he’ll be fine once you guys start recording.”

“He better be,” Sisky states darkly, as I hand over the two bottles.

“Be nice,” I say warningly.

“Hey. You don’t know what it’s like to live with that,” he defends himself. He goes off to join Butcher at his table and leaves me to the next person waiting to order.

The end of my shift comes too slowly for my liking.

Everyone I know is gone by now, so I’m surprised to see Michael waiting outside for me when I finally leave.

I smile and he gives me a quick kiss, smiling back at me.

“Don’t you have work in the morning?” I ask, still smiling. He shrugs.

“I can’t walk you home because I have work in the morning?” he answers, intertwining our fingers as we start down the street together.

“Do you know what?” I say, stopping him before he gets out his keys to unlock the door to the apartment we share with Mike and William.

“What?” he asks blankly. I lean up to kiss him on the lips, wrapping my arms around his neck. I feel him smile into the kiss as he winds his fingers into my hair with one hand and the other grips my waist. His tongue brushes past my lips, tangling with mine until we’re breathless.

“I really, really, love you,” I reply, briefly pulling away before meeting his lips again, relishing the small moments of privacy before we have to go inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks: inapallis.

Feedback is lovely.