‹ Prequel: Confessions
Status: Complete!

These Are the Fast Times

Summer Hair = Forever Young: Part 5

Lila

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

“Butcher,” I state in annoyance. “Cut it out.”

He ignores me, his hand sliding up under the back of my shirt and making me shiver.

“Andy!” I scowl at him, but he just grins back innocently from next to me on the couch.

“Let’s get something to eat,” he suggests, taking his hand back. I shake my head.

“No time. I have to finish this then start an assignment for work.”

Classes have just started this week and I already have a mountain of homework in addition to my projects for work.

“You don’t have time to eat?” he tempts.

I shrug, but I’m slowly caving.

“I’m only in town for a few days,” he reminds me, tugging lightly at a strand of my blonde hair.

“I know,” I sigh guiltily, finally closing my laptop. “I’m sorry. Do you want to order out?”

Victoria’s with Jack in Maryland until the morning, allowing Butcher and I a day of privacy for the short time he’s here.

I let him pick where we order from and what movie we watch.

It doesn’t matter to me; I’m just glad he’s here.

It makes everything feel more normal.

It makes me feel like I have ground beneath my feet.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

When I wake up, he’s sitting in the chair next to my open window. He’s absently sketching on a notepad in his lap with a cigarette in his free hand.

I stretch and sit up in bed, yawning.

He glances over at me, smiling.

“Morning,” he says.

I open my mouth to respond, but another yawn escapes me.

I get out of bed and walk over to my dresser for a change of clothes.

“I wish you wouldn’t smoke,” I sigh, an edge of annoyance lingering in my tone as I pull a t-shirt over my head.

“Mike smokes,” he points out, taking a drag and then releasing it into the air. “You don’t tell him to stop.”

“Well, I’m not sleeping with Mike.”

“Damn straight you’re not.” I roll my eyes, and he continues smoking and doodling.

“I wish you wouldn’t smoke in my room,” I revise, compromising. He takes a final drag before standing up and putting it out on the outside of the windowsill.

“Happy?”

“Yes.” I walk over to wrap my arms around him. “I’m going to miss you.” he embraces me back tightly, resting his head on mine and kissing my hair. “So don’t be so depressed when you go back.”

“Who says I-” he starts, but I cut him off with a look.

“Everyone. Everyone says. Especially Sisky. And you know Melly has a big mouth.”

“Yeah? Well, Victoria told me you turned into a workaholic.”

“I did not!”

“Li, you’d be working right now if I didn’t stop you the other day,” he smirks.

“At least I’m being productive!” He doesn’t argue, just laughs. “Let’s go to Victoria’s show tonight,” I suggest, running my fingers through his hair.

“Do we have to?” he whines childishly.

“Yesterday you were complaining that you wanted to go out,” I point out. He opens his mouth to disagree, but I give him a look and he knows I’m right. “Besides, I told everyone I would.”

“Everyone, huh?” he asks, raising his eyebrows. “And do we have to hang out with “everyone” afterwards?”

I roll my eyes at his not-so-subtle grudge against Gabe.

“If you come to the show with me, we’ll come back right after and do whatever you want,” I compromise, grinning up at him. He looks as if he’s contemplating it before a smile breaks his face.

“Fine,” he says grudgingly, but failing to keep the smile out of his voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks: whimsicalPURPLE