‹ Prequel: The Fifth World

The Fifth World 2

John

Cynric: Hundreds of years ago when the world was new and young... a man named Calhoun Hargon walked the lands. He was the greatest fighter and one of the most intelligent people you could ever meet. His leadership was admired, his courage was honourable. He was who every leader wanted to be. His government adored him but while they knew he was one of the greatest people to walk the lands they also knew he was the biggest threat; everyone loved him and a person like that could gain power very quickly.

Calhoun would fight for the people. He knew that the government had faults, many of them, and he would speak up for his people when their voices were too quiet. He was one of the most respected men of his time.

There were rumours of an attack by Thornes on the city of Hargon and Calhoun knew that he not only had to protect his family - his wife and their daughter - but he had to protect the people too. Hargon had a very small army and they were not trained enough therefore not prepared to face a well equipped, lethal army of Thornes. Calhoun knew he had to do something. Months went by and the rumours began to settle until one night when screams were heard throughout one side of the city. It was not an army at all but simply a Thorne who decided to create havoc among the population. He would kill anyone who would walk into his sight - men, women and even children. After kissing his wife and daughter goodnight Calhoun walked into the night and tracked the Thorne down. He was astounded and furious to find dead bodies of the innocent lying through the streets. He fought the Thorne till sunrise. Calhoun had fought plenty of Thornes in the past but never had he fought one as intelligent as this. He seemed to know almost every move Calhoun would make. He was definitely trained... and aware. Calhoun was becoming exhausted but finally with the aid of other men of the public the Thorne was stopped, captured and presented to parliament in chains. It had been discovered upon this interrogation of the creature that he was not just a Thorne... he had been researching for many years of the genetics that distinguish every different human from one another. He was the first person in the Fifth World to create a serum that worked as he had tested it on himself. Angelican genes lived in his body giving him the ability to use Angelican daggers - as this was his goal to steal one in Hargon. Calhoun knew that this Thorne had the intelligence of an Angelican as well but what was the most important fact of all was that this Thorne also had... immortality. This discovery sparked Calhoun's fascination with genetic engineering many years later.

Parliament knew they could not reveal these findings to the public as genetic experiments would occur everywhere bringing about the possibility of a birth of a human that could be the most supernatural thing any human has ever come across, powerful, strong, intelligent and out of control.

Being a cruel and harsh parliament it was decided that the Thorne, known as John, would be executed. However, Calhoun being the heroic man he was begged to give John mercy and exile him to the Average Human world where he would have to live a long and lonely life. Parliament was reluctant but after debating John was eventually exiled and told to never return.

Rumour has it he did not live a lonely life at all - he married an Average Human, had a child and lived a very Average Human life. His existence now is a question many, who knew of him, have asked for centuries. Does John still live? And if so, where is he and what is he doing? Is his life as tragic and as severe as many hoped it would be?

If you want to know what I think, I think these questions are wrong. I believe that these are the wrong questions being asked as his existence is no longer important... what is important is the existence of his child... whether he or she has inherited his genetics. Whether he or she truly knows what they are what they are capable of and if the blood of the Thorne named John would ever return to the Fifth World.