‹ Prequel: The Fifth World

The Fifth World 2

The Average Human Will Be Great

Cynric: I sigh as my body lies across the green grass. I can hear the grass swaying with the trees as the wind blows. I can smell... nature. This peaceful and beautiful place could be a haven for many people... but not for me. Around the corner, behind a cluster of tall oak trees are ruins. Ruins of what was once a peaceful town... a town where prejudice did not exist... where many could find refuge. Along with that fact... there is the other fact, the fact that while Seabrooke is still a haven for a lot of people it is not where I want to be. Not at all. I am sick and tired of being here because it is missing the one thing I want most; Bo.

"Cynric," I hear Felicity's voice and immediately open my eyes and sit up to face her, "I want to introduce you to someone."

"I do not mean to offend you, Felicity, but will their introduction to me really benefit either of us right at this very second?"

I want to think. I cannot be bothered trying to befriend someone. For the last few days I have been surrounded by people and one in particular. Never have I had a moment to myself.

She snorts and I realise that clearly I have offended her, "I believe it will benefit you. So, are you going to meet him or what?"

I sigh and stand up from the ground, "fine."

Felicity leads me back towards town... or what is left of it and the many white tents that lie ahead. The smaller ones are what many use to sleep in at the moment whilst the bigger ones are for the Council or stand ins for what used to be cafes and restaurants. They are mainly just 'hang out' spots now with more leg room than the tents that we all sleep in. Felicity takes me inside one of the bigger white tents where many people are sitting around and enjoying a cup of tea or coffee discussing how the town is going to be rebuilt and of course, the latest battle a lot of us were involved in about a week or so ago. It is the latest gossip.

Felicity sits down at a table where a male Angelican is sitting. I have never met him before but then again, there are a few people of Seabrooke I have never met anyway. More people arrive each week and since the great battle and the fact that the walls have been demolished more and more strangers are wandering into our town seeking retreat from the corrupt government.
The Angelican is young, probably the same age as Felicity. He looks at me curiously and I feel my eyes roll. What power does this Angelican possess that would make Felicity want to introduce us?

As I sit down Felicity introduces us, "Cynric this is Alistair."

I do not even smile at him but I cannot help think about how negative I am being towards people today. It is not the person themselves I am angry with... it is just the whole world I am angry with. Both worlds for that matter.

I hold my hand out to the Angelican and he smiles a little but resists touching me. I am taken aback a little and slump back down into my seat as he stares at me with curiosity.

"I assume you know my gift," I say to him as my eyes veer off towards Felicity.

She looks away from me uncomfortably and I know that I am correct. Of course she has told him about me. Just see the way she looks at him - if Alistair asked anything of Felicity she would obey him. I can see the way she looks at him, she looks at him like Janine used to look at me... a memory of Janine's face flashes before my eyes and I quickly regret even thinking of her. It hurts too much.

"You wish to see my past, Cynric?" Alistair asks me and then holds his hand out, "Then by all means."

His willingness is suspicious... very few people have ever actually offered themselves to me like this before and if they have there is usually some kind of terrible reason behind it. I stare at him. Alistair is attractive... I guess... but to a Thornes eyes such as Felicity's I am sure he is like a god to him. His hair is a midnight black... his eyes a piercing blue and his skin pale. I resist from touching him.

"And do you have a gift?" I ask coldly.

Felicity smiles a little and is clearly happy I have asked this question. I can tell that with whatever gift Alistair has she is intrigued by it... or maybe she is intrigued by him. It is odd, I would not have thought Felicity would be the type to be this 'gaga' over somebody. She is strong and independent.

"Alistair's gift is a lot like yours in a way, Cynric... however when he touches somebody he doesn't see the past... memories... he sees the future and he can sense some things too." Felicity says.

I look over at Alistair and his blue eyes are staring directly at me. I feel a little uncomfortable under his stare. Intimidated, but since when do I get intimidated? I cough awkwardly.

Alistair smiles at Felicity and she almost melts in her seat, "I believe you are being a bit too broad, Felicity. I do not see the future... I just see a word or a few and they can be interpreted in many different ways according to the subject. They are not necessarily prophecy's that relate to the subject directly either... it could be a prophecy linked to a contact of theirs but it can be vice versa too. Would you mind if I could see yours? I am very curious."

I try to think of something else to do... someway to avoid this situation entirely. I know for a fact that knowing the future can drive you crazy. Destiny should not be foreseen, it should only be reached. I do not care for this Angelican's past and I do not care for whatever future he sees ahead of me or whatever prophecy he can read.

"I have to go," I say to Felicity and Alistair, "I must find Adam."

Felicity stands up quickly, "He rests under Nancy's guard. Do not believe for a second any one of us would let him out of our sight."

Alistair smiles at me, "ah, the Average Human. I have seen him, I am very curious of him too."

My fist curls and I stand up from my chair. It creates a loud sound, "You will stay away from him."

Alistair stares at me with satisfaction, "Give me your hand."

"No."

He stares at me, "I sense pain and heartache lies ahead of you, Cynric."

I do not care!

I try to turn away but Alistair reaches out just in time to touch the bare flesh of my forearm. I wince and move through the tent as quickly as I can as people surrounding me begin to watch. I am angry with Felicity and even more angry with that Alistair. I do not want to know what he sees. I just want to get the hell out.

"The Average Human will be great, Cynric." I hear Alistair call out once I leave. The Average Human will be great, will he? The second I looked at Adam since the transformation... I knew that too. The Average Human will be great.