‹ Prequel: The Fifth World

The Fifth World 2

Lethal Weapon

Cynric: "I have to talk to you," I hear Felicity say to me.

I feel my eyes roll. The last thing I want to hear is more about this so called Alistair. Felicity is crazy about him. It is ridiculous... but then again, I hate being hypocritical...I am crazy about someone too but I do not think I am as obvious about it.

"I do not care to talk," I reply coldly.

"Don't bother, Felicity," I hear Nancy say as I stare up at the stars outside of my tent, "he is merely depressed over Bo. The sooner she comes back the better."

"She will not come back, she cannot come back," I respond coldly.

I roll my head to the right - as on the left is my small tent I share with Adam - and look over at Nancy's and Felicity's tent. There is a lantern beaming its light inside the girls tent. I can see Nancy's silhouette lying across the floor, a book in her hands. I sigh. It has been hard to hold conversations with people lately... the only person I really talk to is Adam... but then again, I don't actually talk to him all that much. I mean, we converse and chat... but we never talk about the things that really matter.
Felicity stands above me now with what I can see is an annoyed expression. I smile up at her.

"Don't give me that cheeky, pretty, little smile, Cynric Huxley. I have information," she says to me angrily.

I prop myself up immediately and try to at least appear interested - sooner or later I am going to drive everyone I care about away with my poor attitude. Night time is the only time I get to myself and even then, I am still bothered by everyone else other than Adam - who is the only one I really spend time with during the day. He really does exhaust me.

"And what would that information be, Felicity?" I ask her with a sigh.

She sits down beside me and then explains how she snuck into Hargon tonight. She has been doing it for a few days now... running all the way there, creeping through the streets and then when she is finished with her snooping she runs all the way back. I have warned her, I have even tried to stop her because she is being foolish but Felicity is just as stubborn as Bo, if not more.

"It seems I was not the only one snooping through Hargon tonight. You wouldn't believe what I saw... a Thorne... and a woman," she says to me, quite excitedly too.

"A Thorne and a woman? How intriguing." I say sarcastically before letting my body flop back onto the grass.

"Stop being such a twat and listen to me. It wasn't just any woman, it was an Average Human, Cynric. I am sure of it!"

Okay, I guess I am being rude... but right now, I am very much intrigued. I sit up again and Felicity shoots me a look of pure anger. I cannot help but smirk.

"I can't stand being around you anymore, Cynric, you just brood over Bo. It's depressing and pathetic," she hisses at me.

"I love how blunt you are, Felicity, it really brings out your eyes," I laugh.

Okay, now I am being plain cheeky but oh well. Whether Felicity is mad or happy, she really knows how to make me laugh. It is just her attitude, her tone, the way her face screws up. It makes me laugh.

I then begin to think about the people she saw tonight. Could there really be an Average Human in the Fifth World? I know that it is not the first... because to my knowledge Adam was the first... but who the hell would bring an Average Human here? If the government finds out... them and everyone they know would be killed.

"What were they doing, Felicity?" I ask her, I am very serious now and she knows that somewhere in the tone I am using there is an apology there for my behaviour.

She nods her head at me, "they were spying just like I was. I watched them break into parliament house and listen in to a session. They were hiding in the roof, so was I. I could hear them talking, whispering. The way he looked at her... I have never seen a Thorne look at somebody that way... never would I have thought they would look at an Average Human that way. He loves her. I can tell."

"No," I say to her, "that must be wrong. Why would an Average Human be here? And why would a Thorne love of all things an Average Human? It had to be a Fifth World Human."

Felicity shakes her head at me, "I have lived amongst Average Humans all my life, Cynric, I know one when I see one. Anyway, parliament's session was very private tonight. Half of the members were there, I suspect that these are the ones that consider themselves the most powerful. Alfred was there and the mind reader was by his side. He is not a member but I suspect he is helping Alfred somehow, I had to be careful, I couldn't think too hard as I was afraid he'd hear me. They were talking about Seabrooke and the possibility of penetrating it again. Alfred agreed but then suggested that it is too early to return to Seabrooke. He has other things on his mind - such as tracking down the Thornes who initiated the Great Battle. Alfred wants to meet with the Royals."

"The Thornes? He wants to meet with the Royals of the Thornes?" I ask her.

She nods her head, "While some of them may be dead... there are still few alive. The Thornes we fought, their population is running low but so is their patience. Alfred was talking about how there is rumour that the Thornes have some kind of weapon or something... whatever it is they plan to use it and soon. They want power."

"Still," I whisper. Felicity nods her head.

How can I be surprised? It is a Thornes nature to be evil... and it is an evil desire to have ultimate power. The Fifth World is still young, there are hundreds if not thousands of years left... and it is only a matter of time before the Thornes will gain what they want most in this world.