Cosmic Love

Jeremy Gilbert

The next day was a Saturday. Stefan didn’t have school so in the morning I strolled into his room. As long as he didn’t preach about not eating humans he was a pretty fun guy to be around. I came in just as Damon threw a letter opener and hit Damon in the chest.

“Boys let’s not fight. It’s too early,” I complained as I walked into the room. Damon got up from his chair looking at the object protruding from his chest. It didn’t seem to affect him at all. He pulled it out, unflinching.

“Alright I deserved that,” admitted Damon. “But I just wanted to let you know they caught the culprit. The animal responsible for killing Coach Tanner and all those people,” explained Damon at Stefan’s confused look.

“What are you talking about?” asked Stefan suspiciously. I moved over to sit on Stefan’s bed, in the middle of them but still off to the side.

“It was a mountain lion. Really big one,” said Damon holding out his hands for emphasis. “It attacked a hunter this morning. It’s all over the news. Deadly Beast Captured. All’s Well in Mystic Falls.”

“Why would you cover your tracks?” asked Stefan.

Just as I said, “You covered for us?” in disbelief but the gratitude was evident.

“This girl knows how to show appreciation,” said Damon pointing and smiling at me. He seemed in an oddly good mood. “I’ve decided to stay awhile,” said Damon though as he moved to look at something on one of Stefan’s tables. “And I’m just having way too much fun here with you, Elena, and Emma.”

“Can’t touch her now,” said Stefan making the line clear.

“Well, the vervain keeps me out of her head,” pointed out Damon. “Maybe that’s not my target,” he said toying with Stefan. “Believe it or not Stefan, some girls don’t need my persuasion. Some girls just can’t resist my good looks, my style, and my charm, and my unflinching ability to listen to Taylor Swift.” As he listed these he walked towards Stefan, playing with the letter opener. Once he got to Stefan he quickly and without warning stuck it into his stomach.

With a groan Stefan’s knees buckled and he fell to the floor. The pain on his face was evident as he gathered the strength to pull out the letter opener. “This is John Varvatos, dude,” said Damon examining the hole in his shirt. “Dick move.” With that he strolled out of the room.

I went and knelt beside Stefan just as he grasped the hilt and pulled it out in one swift motion. Quickly I pulled up his shirt to check the wound and make sure it was healing. It was but slowly. Slower than it should. “You’re not going to go after Damon again?” asked Stefan bitterly.

“Damon can take care of himself,” I said and pulled his shirt down, back into place.

“And I can’t?” he asked indignantly.

“Not with your diet,” I said and then stood up. I held out a hand to help Stefan up but her ignored it and got up himself. I simply shrugged it off. “What are you doing today?” I asked.

“Going to visit Elena,” he said giving no room open for debate.

“Have fun,” I said before walking out of the room and back to mine. In the hallway I spotted Damon who looked like he was going somewhere. “Where are you off to?” I asked.

“Going to visit Caroline,” he said, not bothering to look back.

“That should be fun,” I said sarcastically as I went into my room. As I got into the shower I began to think of what I could do to occupy myself. As I stepped out I had figured out that I’d just go to the Mystic Grill. I could probably find someone interesting there.

As I walked into the Grill I noticed Jeremy sitting at the bar, drinking water. I could see his eyes trying to inconspicuously follow one of the waitresses, Vicki. I took a seat beside him and ordered a drink. As he turned his head to watch her I said quietly, “Don’t be too obvious.”

Jumping slightly he turned to look at me. I took a sip from my drink and raised an eyebrow. “You’re Emma, right?” he asked.

“I’m glad you remember,” I said smiling. “Otherwise I’d probably look like a complete creep.”

“Eh,” he said weighing his hands up and down.

“Are you saying I’m a creep?” I ask, pretending to be shocked.

“I didn’t say that,” he pointed out.

“You didn’t have to,” I said, playfully narrowing my eyes. Jeremy chuckled before we both took a sip from our drink, lapsing into silence. The girl, Vicki, came back to behind the bar but with some other guy in tow.

“You treat me like trash,” she said as she closed the bar on the guy. You could tell she was mad. “I’m sick of it.”

“I don’t think you’re trash,” said the guy.

“Really?” she asked not believing him. “Then who are you taking to the Founder’s Party?”

“Vicki Donovan,” he said it clicked into place, “do you want me to ask you to the Founder’s Party?”

“No, it’ll be stupid and lame,” she said but I could tell she wanted to. I think anyone could.

“True,” admitted the guy. “But it’ll be less stupid and lame if you’re there.” With that he walked away knowing he had made her happy and got a date.

“You realize you had to ask him to ask you, right?” spoke Jeremy as she moved towards the drinks, a smile on her face. “You figure if you dress up like a respectable young lady he’ll finally treat you like one?”

“Screw you, Jeremy,” she said blowing him off.

“You know you’re making the wrong choice, but you make it anyway. It’s sad.” In disbelief that he could say that she turned and walked away.

“I have an idea,” I said to Jeremy.

“What’s that?” he asked a little sharper than he needed to. It was obvious he was upset about the girl.

“That guy was your competition, right?” He nodded in confirmation. “Well, what if you took someone to the Founder’s Party. I mean if she cares about you like you care for her than seeing you with someone else is going to make her jealous.”

“I don’t care for those kind of parties,” he said immediately blowing me off.

“Jeremy, think about it. When she realizes how that guy treats her horribly, you can be right there to take his place. And she’ll see how handsome you look in a tux.”

“Dressing up makes my skin itch,” he said still not completely on board with the idea.

“Every girl loves a guy in a tux,” I said.

“Where am I going to find a girl that would go with me to the Founder’s Party?” he asked, still making excuses. I raised an eyebrow. “You?” he asked in disbelief. “Why would you help me like that? You don’t even know me.”

I took a deep breath knowing that the next words I say are crucial. “Because we’re family,” I said just coming out with it.

“What?” he said in complete disbelief.

“I’m descended from Jonathan Gilbert. My family moved away not wanting to stay in this little town. We were kind of lost among the family tree. My parents are dead and I wanted to move back to where I came from. I was hoping there was some family still left here so that I knew I wasn’t completely alone.” I sold the story with a few tears that I wiped away.

“Way to just drop that on me,” he said still in a kind of shock.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized. “I know it may seem unreal and there’s a reason I didn’t tell you at first. It’d be weird if I met you and then was like ‘hey we’re related!’” He nodded knowing I was right. “I understand if you don’t want to go now.”

“Actually I think it’d be fun to go with you. You seem pretty…cool.” He gave a charming smile which caused me to smile in return.

“I’m glad you don’t think I’m too much of a creep.”

“Eh,” he said doing the same gesture he had earlier.

“Thank you for giving me a chance,” I said honestly.