Cosmic Love

Founder's Party

I walked out into the hall holding two dresses. As soon as I stepped in the hallway Damon turned the corner. He kept walking down the hallway as I stood in my doorway. “Whi—”

“The black one,” said Damon not even seeming to look. Shrugging I turned back around to put on the black dress. After I shimmied into the dress I put on my makeup and threw my hair into a stylish bun. After 145 years you learn to do your hair pretty easily.

Once I was done I walked down the hallway where I knew both Stefan and Damon were also getting ready for the party. I had spent the time after seeing Jeremy shopping for a dress to wear. “It’s cool not growing old,” Damon was saying as I stood in the doorway quietly. “I like being the eternal stud.” He gave his reflection a wink in the mirror.

“Yes, being a 150 year old teenager has been the height of my happiness,” responded Stefan raising his glass in the air like he was going to toast.

“You cracked a funny, Stefan,” said Damon as I gave a light chuckle. Stefan downed the rest of his drink. “I should have a drink to celebrate.” He walked over to the table to pour himself a drink. He picked up what looked like a picture.

“1864,” he said, reminiscing. “You and Katherine were the perfect couple. It was hell watching you dance with her.”

“My happiness was short lived, as you well know,” said Stefan.

“I remember. I left the party early. I was waiting for… The night you dropped her off I was waiting just inside. You were such a gentleman,” he said pulling the top off the alcohol bottle. Instantly the smell hit me. “You gave her a kiss on the cheek. When what she really wanted was… Oh well. Here’s to history repeating itself, huh?” said Damon raising his glass.

As he went to take a drink he let the contents spill onto the floor without touching any of it. “I admire your efforts, Stefan. Pouring yourself a drink then spiking the bottle with vervain. I’m not some drunk, sorority chick, you can’t roofie me. But I can’t help feel a little used, thought we were having a moment. I have to go to the party angry,” he said obviously agitated as he fixed his cuffs and jacket. “Who knows what I’ll do.” The threat was eminent and hung in the air.

“Have fun,” I whispered to Damon as he passed me. He gave me a tight, obligatory smile as he walked down the hallway.

“Am I next, Stefan?” I asked him, obviously angry also. Without waiting for his reply I turned and walked away.

When I exited the house I immediately called Jeremy. He had given me his number so I could pick him up without anyone knowing he was going. He didn’t want to make a big deal of him going to this party. As I pulled up with the car I rented he came out of the house making sure to close the door softly.

“Elena is still getting ready,” he said once he got in the car and I pulled away. “She didn’t see me leave.”

“I don’t get what the secrecy is about but okay. I love a good spy mission,” I said laughing and giving him a smile. He chuckled as well but I could tell he was nervous. He wouldn’t sit still. After about five minutes of it I had enough. “Will you calm down?” I said. “Relax and just have a good time. That’s the main thing, look like you’re having fun.”

“Emma, I don’t know if I can. I’m not much of a person for these things an—”

“Jeremy Gilbert,” I said sternly. “You are going to this party and you are having fun. Do you hear me?”

“Yes, ma’am,” he said surprised at my tone.

“It’ll work. You’ll see.” After that conversation stopped until I had pulled into the Lockwood’s long driveway. Their estate was huge but after they had taken a lot of the founding family’s property what can you expect.

Tons of people milled about the lawn. It was a very bright and cheerful atmosphere. We waited in the long line of people waiting to be received. Up ahead were both the Lockwoods and their son. I could kind of see Vicki standing below the stairs and I made us weave up there.

“Hey, Vicki,” said Jeremy as he came up to her.

“Jeremy?” she asked surprised. “I didn’t expect to see you here. Who’s this?” she asked giving me a once over.

“This is Emma.”

“Hi, nice to meet you,” I said holding out my hand. Looking like she didn’t want to, she took it.

“Vicki,” said Tyler coming down from the stairs and giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Let’s go this way,” he said pulling her along by her hand away from the line.

“Why?” she asked.

“Line’s too long,” he said making up an obvious excuse. “You can go around back. Come on the party’s in back.” Rapidly he pulled her along.

“Dick,” said Jeremy under his breath once he left. I had to choke back my laughter. Patiently Jeremy and I waited in line.

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Lockwood,” Jeremy said once he got up the steps. I smiled politely and did a slight curtsy.

“It’s nice to see you, Jeremy,” said Mrs. Lockwood, affectionately taking his hand.

“Who’s your date?” asked Mr. Lockwood. “I don’t think we’ve met.”

“This is Emma,” he said gesturing to me. “She’s new to town.”

“It’s lovely to meet you guys,” I said still keeping the smile plastered on my face. “It seems to be a wonderful party you’re having.”

“Yes, well, why don’t you guys go ahead in?” offered Mr. Lockwood, giving Jeremy a pat on the shoulder. I breathed a sigh of relief as we headed towards the house. I’m glad I could actually enter the house. I don’t know what I would have done otherwise.

“Any idea where you want to go?” I asked Jeremy as we walked in.

“Some place where no one will see me,” he said. And I could tell that even though he tried to pass it off as a joke he was completely serious.

“Come on,” I said and pulled him along to mingle in the party.

We kind of hid out in a corner most of the night. Jeremy was determined to avoid anyone and everyone. I could see now why he doesn’t go to parties much since he doesn’t talk to anyone. We sat for awhile, me grabbing some glasses of champagne that a waiter would walk by with. We sat listening to the music and me just keeping an eye out for Damon.

Later Jeremy and I walked out into the backyard. It was dark at that point and it was becoming quite crowded inside. We chose a bench to sit on against the wall of the house. It was dark out and we were covered in shadow. I knew no one would be able to see us. Instantly I heard Tyler and Vicki arguing. My eyes spotted them quickly. Mrs. Lockwood approached and Vicki seemed to back off.

“We didn’t get a chance to say hello earlier. It’s Vicki right? Matt’s sister?”

“Yes, ma’am,” replied Vicki being very polite.

“You’ll have to forgive my son’s rudeness. He gets it from his father.”

“Oh that’s okay, Mrs. Lockwood. Tyler and I were just saying goodnight.” With that she turns and walks off towards the driveway.

“That’s what you get when you bring the trash into the party,” whispered Mrs. Lockwood into Tyler’s ear. My opinion of her went down. She turned and made her back towards the party.

“Jeremy, can you see Vicki?” I asked him quietly. He shook his head and I pointed in that direction. He watched her as she still walked away. “Go after her. I’ll distract Tyler so he doesn’t notice.” Without a word he went after Vicki, almost jogging to catch up with her.

I watched him for a moment before moving over to Tyler and putting a hand on his arm to get his attention. He turned away from Vicki and took in my appearance. “Hello,” I said quickly racking my brain for an excuse. “I couldn’t help noticing your date just kind of ditched you.”

“Yeah,” he said rubbing his neck awkwardly.

“Come on into the party. You could use a drink after that.” I grabbed his hand and began to pull him towards the house but he didn’t offer much resistance. I walked in the house and instantly grabbed two glasses that a waiter walked by with. I gave him one and then took a sip from my own. “Enjoy,” I said before turning and walking away.