Cosmic Love

Strange Awakening

I woke up outside of town near the quarry. Nobody lived around here. Nobody came around here. I sat up and then quickly clutched my head. The world felt like it was spinning and I had a massive headache.

“Here drink this,” said a feminine voice as tea was thrust in front of my face. Looking up I saw Emily, Katherine’s maid. She was holding freshly made tea. Steam was rising out of the cup hinting that it was still hot.

“Thank you,” I said as I took the cup and saucer from her hands. Without a word she walked away. I waited for the tea to cool a bit before taking a hesitant sip. It didn’t taste like any tea I had before but it was still good. The hot liquid warmed up my body.

Emily came back again once I was done with the tea. How she knew I was done was a mystery. “Come,” she said. “I have clothes for you to wear.” I got up and started following her.

“Why are you helping me?” I asked.

“Because you’re important,” she simply said. The way she said it I might have asked if the sky the blue.

“Important?” I questioned.

“You’ll understand later,” she said. She made it clear that she was not going to tell me why or how. “Right now I have clothes for you and then you can return to your home.”

“I can’t return!” I protested. “I’m transitioning. It’s dangerous for me to be around people.”

“You know. You know about them, the vampires.” She said it as a statement not a question but I felt like I should answer her anyway.

“Yes, I’ve overheard my father talking many times. And I cannot help myself when he leaves his journal around.”

“Nosy little girl aren’t you?” Emily said with a smile. We then reached a carriage that was waiting. Inside it contained clothing. It was being driven by Emily’s brother. “Get inside. You can change. There’s only the outer things. Sorry but that’s all I could spare.”

“I understand. I thank you for all the help you’ve given me.” I curtsied and then got inside the carriage. I quickly changed the dress I was wearing. It was quite difficult in the small area but I somehow managed. Climbing out Emily’s brother was gone. Emily was waiting for me patiently.

“I have something for you,” she said coming forward. I reluctantly held out my hand. In it she placed a gold ring. In the center it contained a blue stone. One I recognized from Katherine’s own ring.

“What is it?” I questioned Emily.

“It’s a ring I made for you. If you do complete the change then this ring will allow you to walk around in the day.”

“Why are you giving me this if you don’t know I’ll complete the change?”

“I like to be prepared for many situations,” she said. Just then her brother came up. I hadn’t heard him approach. Her brother nodded and then climbed into the driver’s seat.

“I must be going,” she said. “I can take you home,” she offered again.

“No I cannot risk it. I would never do that to my father or mother. Or any of my siblings.”

“If you wish,” she said curtsying. “I must tell you though. Damon and Stefan are also going through the transitioning phase. They were off down the river when you woke up. I suspect them back now. Do not be alarmed if you see them.”

“Damon and Stefan Salvatore?” I questioned to make sure I heard her right. The story is they had been killed, as in dead.

“Yes, Damon and Stefan. I really must be going now,” she said getting into the carriage.

“Thank you again for your help.”

“Anytime Ms. Gilbert.” I watched as the carriage pulled away, lost in my own thoughts.

Katherine. It took a moment for the thought to come to mind. They must have been drinking her blood. Why? Why would they do that? And both of them? So many questions.
Walking back up the path towards the abandoned building and creek I tried to make sense of it all. I came up empty though. The only possibility is that Katherine had compelled them. That’s the only explanation. Otherwise, why would they want this?

Sitting at the creek’s edge were Damon and Stefan. They were talking about their choice. Their choice to either complete the transition or die. By the time I came close I know both of them chose death. What would I choose?

“Good morning, boys,” I said curtsying to them. Quickly they stood up to greet me.

“Ms. Gilbert, what are you doing here?” asked Damon.

“Please, call me Emma. But I’m here for the same reason you are, of course. Well, apart from Katherine.” I could see both of them internally wince. They pain and sadness that flashed through their eyes.

“What happened to you?” asked Stefan.

“Revenge. Anna found me alone. She wanted revenge for what my father did to her mother,” I elaborated with a sad smile. “Very simple story really.”

“You don’t deserve this,” said Stefan.

“I’m very sorry,” agreed Damon.

“Sorry, doesn’t change anything,” I said. Turning away I walked towards the abandoned, falling down building and sat on the steps. “I’m just very sad that my father doesn’t know what happened to me. He must be worried sick.”

“I’m sure they’re out looking for you,” assured Damon.

“I don’t want them to find me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Four subscribers and one star already?! I was amazed. Thanks so much everybody. And thank you to the wonderful
lizi4real
for commenting on my story.