Cosmic Love

Transitioning

We arrived back at Elena’s house where Stefan would probably answer more questions. As soon as we walked into the house Matt yelled, “Damn Vick.”

“What’s going on?” asked Elena walking into the living room with Stefan and I following. I could sense it right when I stepped into the kitchen and I think Stefan could too. Our gaze immediately traveled to Vicki.

“Elena, back up,” said Stefan immediately moving her away from Vicki. I watched, ready to jump in. Stefan made Vicki pay attention to him and spoke in a soothing tone. “Look at me,” he said gently. “Focus. You’re going to be fine. Everything’s going to be fine.” I could tell he put a little compulsion in there. “Guys, take her up to bed, shut the blinds. She’s going to be okay.”

Matt and Jeremy moved forward to take her upstairs. I’m guessing they put her in Jeremy’s room. Stefan watched them go upstairs before coming back into the kitchen. “You know what’s wrong with her?” asked Elena to Stefan.

“Yeah,” he said distressed at the situation. I could feel myself beginning to freak out too. How could he? We were supposed to remain hidden, undetected. She could blow everything. Plus Jeremy was up there with her and I didn’t want him being hurt. I would kill her before I let that happen.

“What is it?” asked Elena.

“She’s transitioning,” said Stefan unsure of exactly what to say.

“Transitioning to what?”

“A vampire.”

“What?” breathed Elena. I don’t know how much more this girl could take.

“Damon must have gotten to her. She’s new. She hasn’t completed her transformation yet.”

“How does she do that?” asked Elena, her distress rising.

“She has to feed on human blood,” said Stefan, dropping the bomb.

“And what if she doesn’t?” It was almost like she didn’t want to hear the answer.

“She’ll die,” said Stefan and I could tell it upset him too. The only reason it bothered me was for Jeremy’s sake. “She may only have a few hours,” said Stefan as Elena paced back and forth.

“She’s upstairs with him right now,” said Elena trying to maintain her cool.

“It’s okay,” assured Stefan. “She doesn’t know what’s happening to her yet.”

“I wouldn’t let anything happen to Jeremy,” I assured Elena. She stopped and looked at me for a second before nodding and continuing her pacing.

“So when is she going to know?” asked Elena running a hand through her hair.

“Right now she doesn’t remember anything about it. A part of her is still human. But slowly, as she gets deeper into the transition, the memories will start to come back. And then she’ll know she has to make the choice.”

“The same choice you made?” asked Elena obviously judging. She gave both of us a look of disgust before even knowing the story. I felt a flash of rage surge through me before I repressed it. She’s lucky Stefan was here.

Suddenly we heard footsteps on the stairs. And then Matt shouting Vicki’s name. Everyone came to see what was going on. As Matt followed her out the front door he looked around. She was nowhere in sight.

“She was fine and then she just freaked out,” explained Jeremy.

“I’m going to go look for her,” said Matt. “Call me if you hear anything.” He ran to his truck and drove off.

“I can track her,” whispered Stefan to Elena.

“Go,” said Elena wondering why he was still there.

“I’ll stay with you, Elena,” I said. She opened her mouth to argue. “When you start to become a vampire every feeling and sense is immediately heightened. She obviously has strong feelings for your brother. She came here before.” Elena still didn’t look happy about it but nodded her head.

“Come on, let’s go inside the house and clean up,” I said louder so that both her and Jeremy could hear me. “There’s not much else we can do.” Walking into the house made me realize just how much of a mess Vicki had made of the place. There was food all over with open containers and half eaten food, some on the floor.

With a sigh I began to help Jeremy and Elena clean up. As the daylight dwindled and darkness set in each one of became more and more worried. Our nerves were on edge and I knew any sound would make Elena jump out of her skin.

“Maybe we should check in with Matt,” said Jeremy as he stood impatiently by the sink. Elena thrust a handful of dishes towards him and he seemed to take them without thinking.

“He’ll call when he finds her,” said Elena moving to gather more dishes. Jeremy put his dishes in the sink and turned around to argue with Elena. I put my dishes in behind him.

“Well what are we supposed to do?” asked Jeremy.

“We wait,” said Elena. “We’re supposed to wait.” She sounded like she was on the edge of losing it. Tears might spill any second. The line she said was like one she’d rehearsed over and over in her head. It was true though. There was nothing that either of them could do but get in the way.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with her,” said Jeremy as Elena handed him more dishes. It was obvious, the concern in his voice.

“She’ll be fine,” assured Elena. I winced but nobody saw. She would be anything but fine. “We’ll all be fine.” I could tell it was more a line for herself than Jeremy. Jeremy looked frustrated and ready to argue some more but then a doorbell sounded.

Elena quickly moved to answer the door, Jeremy right behind her. I put the dishes I had been holding in the sink and then moved to the hallway. “Jeremy, go upstairs,” said Elena. She left no room for arguing and Jeremy silently moved up to his room.

In the doorway stood Damon. Elena looked angry and scared that he was on her doorstep. I could tell just by her posture and voice. “You’re afraid of me,” mused Damon. “I’m going to go on a limb here and guess. Stefan finally fessed up.”

“Stay away from me,” said Elena with as much strength as she could muster.

“Hey, hey, hey,” chided Damon. “There’s no need to be rude. I’m just looking for Stefan. May I come in? Oh wait, of course I can. I’ve been invited.” With a smile Damon stepped into the house and closed the door behind him. I stepped out of the hallway and towards Elena where Damon could see me. “Hello, Emma,” he said smiling at me and walking towards me a couple steps. “Playing babysitter?”

“Funny,” I remarked with no humor. On my face was settled a glare. “I thought you wanted to remain inconspicuous,” I shot at him, my voice filled with venom. For a second he looked sorry but just as quick as someone would blink it was gone.

“We can cut to the chase if you want. I’m not going to kill you right now. That wouldn’t serve my greater agenda.” He folded his arms and shot a quick wink towards me. If I was a dog, the hair on my neck would be standing up straight. “So, where’s Stefan?” Damon asked again. By his voice you knew he wasn’t going to ask again, at least not nicely.

“He’s out looking for Vicki,” Elena said. This time her voice showed how much she hated and disapproved of what he’d done.

“Don’t look at me with those judgy little eyes,” said Damon walking towards Elena and pressing her back against the banister for the stairs. “Girl’s going to thank me for what I did to her.”

“Did you thank Katherine?” Elena spat back. After a second or two Damon backed off and moved away.

“Got the whole life story, huh?” said Damon. I could tell he wasn’t happy about it.

“I got enough,” said Elena.

“Oh, I doubt that,” mused Damon. It was true. There’s a whole other side to Damon and Stefan that she doesn’t know. She doesn’t know that Damon didn’t choose. She doesn’t know that I didn’t choose. She just immediately jumps to conclusions like every other human. “Tell my brother I’m looking for him,” said Damon going to the door.

With a cheeky smile he opened the door and went out. Just before he shut the door though he stopped and poked his head back in. “Tip for later,” he said. “Be careful who you invite in the house.” Then he closed the door and left.

“Why didn’t you stop him?” asked Elena. She immediately turned on me, accusing. I felt myself bristle back in defiance and outrage.

“He wasn’t go to hurt you,” I said back just as angry.

“He’s Damon. He—”

“You don’t know him, so don’t pretend you do. Don’t sit there on your pedestal and think you’re so above and greater than everyone else. Every heart, every person, has a story. Don’t pretend you know his.” Elena looked like I’d slapped her in the face. I couldn’t stand to be near her anymore so I followed Damon out of the house.

Once I got out, Damon was nowhere to be found. Biting my lip I got in my car and drove back to the boarding house. I took a shower and got in shorts and a t-shirt. I was towel drying my hair when I heard the front door open and close.

Then I heard voices, Stefan’s, Damon’s, and Vicki’s. I went downstairs to talk to them. Stefan was leading Vicki up the stairs and to a bedroom as I came down. He gave me a look not to say anything and Vicki looked ready to fall asleep any second.

I continued downstairs and found Damon with a glass of blood, examining something in front of the fire. “I see you both found her,” I commented. “And that she’s fed.” I was somewhat surprised Damon would help bring her in.

“I couldn’t have her running around chewing on people, now could I?” he said practically reading my mind. I took a seat beside him, facing sideways on the couch so I could read his face.

“What’s that?” I asked nodding towards the thing that looked like a pocket watch.

“It’s a very old compass,” he mused.

“Why do you have it?”

“Because Logan Fell had it when I killed him.”

“You what?!” I shrieked. “He’s the news guy! How are you going to cover this one up?! What were you thinking?! Are you—”

“He shot Stefan with a wooden bullet,” Damon said immediately cutting off anymore that I had to say. Instead I sat there, shocked but subdued. I should have known.

“They know,” I said simply.

“They know,” agreed Damon taking a drink from his glass.