Relapse.

Chapter 12.

Mike looked at the run down building in front of him. “She’s here?” he asked. Riley nodded.

“It’s....well, maybe’s it’s better if you don’t know,” Riley sighed. She started to walk into the building and Mike followed. Riley stopped short and turned to face him. “Mike, I’m going to warn you now. Ruby will look and act every different,” she said.

“I know, can we just go find her?” he asked. Riley nodded and walked inside. Mike saw a guy sleeping, or passed out, behind a counter. They walked past him and to a staircase. They walked up a flight or two until they got to a room, labeled 6B. Riley tried to open the door.

“Damn! It’s locked!” Riley groaned. Mike pushed her behind him.

“What are you doing?” she asked. Mike kicked the door and it splintered, leaving the doorway open.

“That,” he said shortly. They both walked in and saw Ruby, on the bed, her sleeves pushed up, and a beer in her hand. She looked at the two.

“Ruby?” Mike asked softly. She took a sip of her beer.

“What?” she slurred. Mike sat on the bed next to Ruby. He pried the bottle out of her hand.

“Mike, what are you doing here?” she asked.

“I care about you,” Mike said.

“Could have fooled me,” Ruby slurred.

“I’m sorry,” Mike mumbled. “But people depend on you. You have to come with us,” Mike said. Ruby looked at him.

“I need this,” he said.

“No. You don’t. You went on without it once, you can do it again,” he whispered.

“I...I’ll try. Only if you promise me you won’t be mad at me for lying or any of this,” Ruby slurred. Mike sighed.

“I promise,” he said.