Status: Completed

Ever After Never Came

The Rest Is Still Unwritten

The airport was oddly empty for this time of day. The sound of my footsteps echoed as I entered with my suitcase, the wheels making a ridiculous clack-clack sound every second.

I had slipped out after everyone went to preform. I’m sure Vinny would be the first to notice my absence. He’d have no help with merch. I felt bad about it, but honestly I couldn’t stay. I’d left a note for each of the boys and the entire crew, but that was about it as far as goodbyes went. Yesterday’s battle with Jack had been my breaking point.

I printed out my ticket, scanning the terminal number and departure time. I had an hour to get through the security check. I walked mindlessly toward the security booth, laying down all my things in the bin provided and slipping off my flip-flops. I threw my phone in, having turned it off. There wasn’t really anyone to speak to anymore.

I found myself seated in the terminal, mostly by myself. I never had felt so alone. I considered calling my family, but I didn’t want to explain what had happened. I couldn’t call Joyce; she would hate me for what I’d done to her son, rightfully so. I couldn’t call Lisa; she hated me, also rightfully so. I was alone, completely alone. What was I going to do?

“Flight 280 to Baltimore, Maryland is now boarding.” The voice over the speaker snapped me out of my thoughts. I stood, grabbing my purse as I boarded. I looked back at the empty terminal I was leaving, feeling like maybe this was the worst decision of my life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jack

I’m sorry I left, but it was the only thing I could do. I’m so sorry to all of you. Jack, Alex, I’m so sorry I played with your heart. Zack and Rian, I’m sorry you were in the middle. Kara, hopefully I’ll talk to you soon… someday. Vinny, sorry I ran out and didn’t help you with merch. Hope that the fans didn’t give you too much of a headache. Flyzik, Colussy, thanks for putting up with me.

I doubt I’ll be seeing you guys again. I wish you all the best, but I can’t be along for the ride anymore. Not when all I seem to do is cause trouble. Don’t try to call or find me.

- Abby


I reread the letter so many times I had the entire note memorized. She was gone. And it was probably better this way.

“Jack, hurry up, you guys got to be on camera in five minutes,” Flyzik reminded me for the billionth time. He saw the letter in my hand. “Still reading it?”

I shrugged. Honestly, I wasn’t sure how I felt. I loved her; I missed her, even if she did hurt me. I didn’t realize how much I needed her until we were back on the bus a few hours ago.

I assumed she was in her bunk and I wouldn’t have bothered to check on her but I needed my hoodie. When I checked the bunk, she wasn’t there. None of her items were. I checked the drawers, nothing; the bathroom, nothing. I had an odd sensation in the pit of my stomach, like some sort of dread. I asked the rest of the band if they’d seen her. I even called Vinny; she would be working merch if anything. But she wasn’t, she wasn’t anywhere. And when we realized she was gone, it hurt. But I wasn’t sure if I was hurt because she left or because I could see the same pain I was feeling in Alex’s eyes.

I scoffed, remembering the broken look on his face. It was there for only a fraction of a second, but I saw it. My best friend hooked up with my girlfriend, and he didn’t even care. I wanted to punch him out, and I just might have if I hadn’t had to perform. He was pretty damn lucky. How could he do that to me? I felt so used and betrayed. Yes I cheated, but at least it wasn’t Abby’s best friend.

I think that’s probably what hurt the most. That and knowing that she couldn’t even face me long enough to say goodbye. I sighed, readjusting my shirt as I stood up ready to pretend that the band was better than ever and that All Time Low was riding on the ultimate high.

It was too hard trying to pretend that I didn’t miss her.
~*~*~*~

Alex
The interview went pretty well, considering I was quieter than usual. Jack and Rian did most of the talking and even Zack threw in his two cents worth. I noticed Jack glaring at me every once in a while but I couldn’t help it. Abby was gone and it wasn’t a good thing for me. Lisa called me over and over again, I’m sure to yell at me. I ignored all her phone calls, hoping she’d take a hint.

I tried calling Abby, but her phone was turned off. She was more than likely going home, meaning I’d see her again as soon as tour was done. I sent her emails, text messages and tweets. Only time would tell if she really was gone. How’d everything get so screwed up? Jack and I were not on speaking terms and Rian and Zack constantly had to choose sides. I knew it wasn’t fair to them, but Jack wanted nothing to do with me and I couldn’t blame him.

“Alex, you’ve got to suck it up man,” Rian scolded. “I miss her too, but she’s gone and you’ve just got to deal. We’ve got a few more weeks and then you’ll get to see her when we go home.”

“What if she won’t talk to me?” I asked. Jack had already said he was done with her, so maybe I had a chance, if she’d take me. I hoped I could make her realize that we were meant to be.

Rian shrugged. “I don’t know man, but seriously morale is low. Get it together.”

“You think Jack meant it?”

“Meant what?”

“That he was done with Abby?” I clarified.

Rian pursed his lips. “Honestly? No. He loved her. That doesn’t just go away. I think he’s saying he’s done so that he doesn’t hurt as much.”

I nodded slowly, thinking about what he said.

“Look, I know you have feelings for her, but back off. She’s Jack’s ex and you’ve already screwed her. You’re the reason they broke up, so just back off and let her go. It’s in your best interest. Do you even care about Jack?” Rian asked.

“Of course I do! He’s my best friend,” I answered.

“Then act like it. Let her go.” Rian walked away, leaving me to think about what he’d said. He had a point. I hated that me and Jack were fighting, but I also deserved the silent treatment. I lay back in my bunk staring at the ceiling. Why was everything so complicated?
~*~*~*~

Abby

I wandered through the empty space that I would be calling home soon. It was so foreign to me, being alone. I’d finally told Adam and Aimee the entire story and with their help I was moving into my new place. My parents still weren’t sure about what happened, but they let it go once they realized I wasn’t going to tell them. I was twenty, going on twenty-one. I was an adult.

It was a long way from home, but honestly that was part of the appeal. Santa Monica, California was far away from Baltimore, far away from Lisa, Jack and Alex. I needed a new start in life. I’d screwed up way to many times. This would be good for me, very good for me.

I had tons of work to do, but with Adam and Aimee’s help, we’d finished unpacking and getting my apartment ready within a week.

“So, you all set?” Adam asked, lying in between me and Aimee on the bed. We’d worked so hard.

“Yep,” I answered.

“My little sister is all grown up,” Aimee teased. “You’re on your own here. Are you sure about this?”

I stared at the ceiling, tracing out the designs. “Yep.”

“You positive?” Adam emphasized. “You’re not going to be close anymore… you’re far away from us.”

“I know, but you can always come visit me for a few months,” I said. “I need this, you guys.”

And it was true. I needed to start a new chapter in my life. I was only twenty; I had the world at my fingertips. I just needed to figure out how to get past all the bad things in life and make it worth it. All the problems I’d ever been through molded me into the person I was. I just had to help it mold me into the person I wanted to be.

This wasn’t going to be easy, but I wasn’t going to give up. I was going to fight back with everything I had.

And, I was going to win.
♠ ♠ ♠
So guys, this is the end of this story. I know, I know! So short. But here's the good news.
There will be another sequel, but this time I'm co writing it with my dear friend, Regan. I can't tell you when it'll be up, but I can tell you that it will be soon.

Thanks for sticking with me so far and I hope you stick with me once more. The new story will be called "The Way We Talk." Keep your eyes out for it.

Thank you to my faithful commenters. You all are the best.