The End Of Book Search

II

The party was a bore. Everyone talked about the recent books they had read and ones they had hoped to read. Books Steve had read already. Nothing was going his way today. A man approached him and started to tell his childhood.

“I used to feel alone when I was younger. I never knew what to do with myself, I felt like leaving everything. I used to go to this park in order to get away from it all. To feel better… Withrow Park it had been called,” the man told him.

“Thank you for that. It was a delightful story.”

Steve turned and left the man. The party seemed to last forever, but when it finally ended Steve told Rose that he was exhausted and went to bed.

* * *

Now I’m here he thought. He opens the door and sees Rose standing there.

“Why have you been acting so strange these past few days?” she asks. She always got straight to the point, a quality Steve admired.

Steve decided that now would be a good time for a cigarette.

“We need to talk”

“About what?” she asks.

“I saw you and Jermaine in the coffee shop.”

“Interesting.”

“Interesting? No, not really.”

“What do you want me to say? There is nothing that will make you feel any better; you have made up your mind.”

Steve didn’t know what to say. He hadn’t expected it to go like this.

“You’re supposed to be upset. Perhaps a tear or something so I don’t feel like this was a one-sided relationship,” Steve says.

“As I said: there is nothing I can say that will make you feel better.”

Rose started getting all her stuff ready and placing it in bags.

“Are you leaving?” Steve asked.

“Yes, I’m leaving. This isn’t working, so it’s for the best,” Rose opened the front door and before leaving turned to Steve and said

“It was fun while it lasted,” then closed the door and was gone.

I don’t understand what happened he thought. Who broke up with whom? He sat down on his couch and lit a cigarette. As Steve lay there he realized that the Ink Spots were still playing in the background “Your Feet’s too Big”. Steve smiled. How could such a funny song be playing at a time like this he wondered. There was nothing to do so Steve just lay there on the couch and eventually fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)