Courtly Matters

Chapter 16

I hurried out of her room not understanding the bevy of emotions that were present. So much was being thrust upon me and I was only a mere fifteen. I entered my chambers and sat on my bed and cried. I cried for my parents. I cried for the Queen. I cried because I could not be with my love openly and freely.

“Don’t cry Miss” I heard a meek voice say.

I turned around quickly. It was the same laundress from earlier.

“I did not intend to disturb you miss” She said looking downward

“No it is alright. I just thought I was alone. Your name is Gretchen I presume? You escorted me to the Queen’s chamber before we broke our fast.” I said trying to encourage her with a warm smile.

“Yes my lady.” She said as she dipped into a curtsey.

“Please do not treat me like I am of noble blood. I am just like you.”

“Miss Walker you are but of the noblest blood by both of your parents. We are not alike.”

“Blood has nothing to do with how we differ. You seem wiser beyond your years. I envy that.”

“My mother and sisters have seen the comings and going of this court. My grandmother was the governess to the King. The women in my family have told me stories of this court. I know all their secrets.”

“And that is why I envy you. You have guidance. Strong women who have guided you. I am being used as a pawn in a game far too great for me to understand. Paying for others mistakes. All I ask for is a friend. Will you be my friend Miss Gretchen?”

Her faced blushed as red as her hair. “Miss Walker I am honored by your request and I will try my hardest. My mother has always told me to be wary of the maids. She said they are all trite and mean spirited” she said as her voice grew soft.

“I am not like them. I am not here to advance in any social game. I just want to live my life the way I see fit. Please Miss Gretchen I beg of thee.”

“You are right Miss Walker you are not like the rest. I will visit when I can but my work keeps me busy. Is there anything I can do for you my lady?”

“Yes you may start by calling me Candace. Next I’d like to know what you know of my grandfather” I asked in hopes of learning more.

“Master Avery Walker was a great man. He served under the reign of King Peter I. He and the King had shared a governess, my great grandmother, and when he took the throne your grandfather was the first advisor he appointed. They had sons together, your father and the current king. They followed suit and became as close as brothers” She informed me.

“The Queen spoke of me having my grandfather’s eyes. Did she know him?”

“No my lady she did not. Your grandfather and King Peter I both were killed in battle. Your father was sent back to the country to help your mother and King Peter II took the throne. He appointed your Uncle Beckett as his first advisor which hurt your father deeply. Beckett was the one who arranged the marriage between the King and Queen Catherine” She continued.

“Then how can she know whose eyes I have?” I wondered aloud.

“I am not sure Miss Walker. But for now you should rest. Supper will be served shortly” She said as she left me alone in my sitting room.
♠ ♠ ♠
After a year I am back... It feels good :)