Status: Complete

Just Listen

One

"Why are you so angry with me?" His angry voice startled me, causing me to jump slightly before turning to him with a harsh glare, the anger in our eyes could have started a fire around us easily. I stood slowly from the mattress and ran my hands along my jeans smoothly, trying to compose myself.

"You dont understand how you make me feel Milan." He rolled his eyes at my comment and rested his body against the wall, and annoyed look plastered on his face making me want to scream at him, but instead I pulled on the sleeves of my sweater and chewed on my lip watching him as he fumed.

"Well explain then, because I don't see what I'm doing so wrong in this relationship Abby. All I see is you getting mad over every little thing I do." He explained, shaking his head as if everything I was saying was completely ludicrous. I sighed and moved toward him angrily, my feet hitting the floor the only noise in the otherwise quiet room.

"That's the big problem,you don't see what you're doing wrong! Milan you're always gone, and I get that's a part of your job but it would be nice to see you when you're in Boston sometimes. You flirt with other girls right in front of me! I put up with it but I'm tired of fighting, I'm tired of your teammates sympathetic looks and my own family asking what I see in you. Do you know that my sister practically begged me to come home the other night?" Seeing his eyes flare with a mixture of sadness and anger I pushed away the smile that was threatening to fill my face seeing that something finally made it through to him.

"It's not like I sleep with them, I come home to you every night, whats the big deal with buying a girl a drink?" Milan said nonchalantly, making me scoff and rest my hand on my hip. His face scrunched knowing that every time he did something wrong during a fight this stance usually meant he was in trouble.

"Not a big deal? It's a HUGE deal if you have a girlfriend! They suddenly think its cool to grind all over you and you seem to get off on that. Tell me what happens when you go out on road trips, and tell me the truth, how many girls do you sleep with in the duration of the trip?" the slight skip in his eyes and the way he gulped when I asked him made me know the truth wasn't going to be what I wanted to hear but I held my ground with my mind already made up about his answer.

"Okay dont get mad, because you're the only person that matters." My chest heaved as he started talking, "maybe 2 a city. But not all the time I swear, and they mean nothing!"

I turned, walking out of the door of our bedroom and into the living room of the condo, my head spinning. Milan's hand wound around my wrist, pulling me back toward him with force, almost slamming me against his chest, "let go of me."

"No, Abby I love you and you know that, and Ive been a crappy boyfriend but please just let me make it up to you. Give me another chance." I snorted at his comment, pulling my arm out of his grasp and stared at him.

"I've given you plenty of chances. Im tired of fighting, I'm tired of the lying. If I ask you something will you truthfully answer me?" When he nodded I took a breath and spoke again, "did you sleep with Cristy?" I asked, weeks ago rumors started about Milan and the teams trainer and I had chosen to ignore them but I knew something was going on, I could tell by the way she looked at him and more times than none I felt like slapping the look off her face.

"Yes. Once and it was a huge mistake." With his final word I broke down, tears spilling from my eyes as I caught my breath and turned around so he couldnt see me cry, though he only walked around me to face me once more, wiping the tears from my cheeks with his thumbs. I wanted more than anything to pull away and leave, to go home but my legs were weak and my stomach was turning.

"Why? Why was I not good enough?" I asked through sobs, realizing that everything I had thought was true and there was no way to take it all back, to keep going on with how I was living, knowing but not saying.

"You are, I was just stupid and I was such an idiot, Im so sorry. You're amazing, I dont deserve you." He spoke softly, his eyes full of hurt. I stared at him for a moment, brushing a stray piece of hair from my face.

"You're right, but I cant ignore how hard you try." I told him, with a slight smile on my face. Milan searched my face nervously.

"Forgive me Abby, please Im so sorry, and I made a mistake but I'm never going to make that mistake again I promise." He asked with a grin as I nodded my head. His arms wrapped around me tightly, spinning me around as I let out a quiet shriek.

"Guys look up." Zdeno Chara's choppy English broke out from behind us, the rest of their team and their significant others dressed in red and black, both Milan and I looked up and laughed at the mistletoe that hung by the door.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him close to me as our lips inched closer together, a smile on his face as he pressed his lips eagerly to mine, dipping me back slightly causing cat-calls to be made by his teammates.

"Promise?" I asked as we pulled apart, both of us breathing heavily.

"Promise."

***

Years down the road I was glad I had chosen that final chance, I hadnt seen anyone change the way they act so fast. Suddenly Milan only went out with the guys on birthdays or after a huge win, he normally opted to stay home or go out with me. I hadnt seen or heard of him being with another girl and he never once pushed my limits if we fought. He knew when he dug himself into a hole and wasnt going to get back out. And it was days like today that I was glad I finally got through.

"Well Mrs. Lucic I say we head home, baby's asleep." Milan said quietly, looking down at the small boy in his arms with his fathers jersey on his tiny little body. The four year old was in fact fast asleep. I nodded, reaching out for him when Milan shook his head, "he's too heavy for you right now momma."

Rolling my eyes I walked with Milan to the truck, his arm wrapped around my waist, his hand resting on the side of my growing belly. By the time we arrived home Aidan had woken up and now demanded that his father read him a story before bed. I stood, leaning against the door frame as Milan closed the book, setting it down on the floor and leaned over, giving our son a kiss on the forehead, pulling his blankets up before leaving the room, flipping off the light and closing the door slightly.

"I really hope it's a girl Abby. I love Aidan but a baby girl would be nice, she has to look like you though." I giggled at his comment. We had both decided we wanted the sex to be a surprise and though that made it extra hard to get clothing and the nursery together we knew it would be special in the end.

"I know baby. I know."

***

When the laid the baby wrapped in light blue on my chest I looked over to Milan smiling. Tears filled his eyes as he ran his large hand over the small baby's back. His eyes filled with pride and happiness. I watched as he sat down slowly, scooting the chair closer to the hospital bed and pressed his lips to my forehead.

"You know, Im super happy he's here but next time we need to have a girl." He joked, causing me to giggle and look down at the baby on my chest, his bright blue eyes, which he got from me, peeking up at us,"he looks like his mom."

"No, he's got your hair, and your smile. He really only has my eyes babe." Milan nodded in agreement and smiled, opening his arms as Aidan ran toward him from the door where Patrice Bergeron stood with a smile, as he wandered toward me, half of the Bruins team following him, all staring down at the small baby.

"What's his name?" Blake Wheeler asked, reaching over and running a hand over the baby's smooth skin. I smiled, looking at Milan who only looked at his two teammates with a proud smile.

"Jesse Blake Lucic." Blake smiled at us and let out an enthusiastic 'woot' causing us to laugh at him. Milan and I had decided that since Aidan had Patrice's version of an English middle name, Patrick, and Blake had pressed us about naming him Blake cause it was a 'sweet name' to go with Blake for a middle name.

I looked back up at Milan, who pressed his lips against mine quickly, making Aidan let out a yuck, causing both of us to giggle. Milan took Jesse from my arms and set him carefully in his big brothers arms, making both his parents smile and snap pictures of their two grandchildren. We were one happy family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my favorite, wish me luck?