Firework

Drifting Through The Wind, Wanting To Start Again?

“I’m seriously going to kill him,” I pouted, crawling out of the canoe while Sting laughed, “You’re next pretty boy!”

“This place is huge,” Riley interjected, trying to change the subject, “Maybe we should switch camps.”

“Eli and Caitlin would kill us,” I said rolling my eyes as we walked down the dock. Eli nodded with a stupidly large grin. I clutched the strap of my bass case closely.

“Just who were we looking for,” Zane’s voice chuckled from the building to our left. We all snapped our heads to see Zane with his guitar slung on his back with his sister, Dana.

“Does this mean that we’ll have to keep crossing the lake to practice?” Riley moaned, shoving his hands into the pockets of his hoodie.

“How about we head down to the bonfire – betcha going to enjoy it,” Dana winked, heading off ahead of us. I grabbed Zane by the strap and pulled him along with us.

“So what does Axel have planned this time?” I asked as we neared the bright moving lights.

Zane shrugged, “Like hell if I know. We didn’t even know we were coming until we showed up yesterday. I honestly thought I was going to Camp Rock with you three.”

“You can’t split up a band – I’m sure your Dad’ll understand.” Sting said slowly as we found an empty row of seats. “Or just pack up everything and hide out in our cabin.”

“I like the last option,” I smirked as I sat in the aisle seat.

“Welcome Camp Rockers to our Bonfire. I’d like to welcome all you rockers to Camp Star! Now, you all don’t want to hear a speech from me. It’s all about – singing. Now does anyone have anything they’d like to play. Now, Camp Rockers, don’ be shy.” Axel spoke into his mic. Mitchie stood up with our roommates and went to the stage.

“Come on Aurora – you’re our bass too.” Caitlyn smiled into the microphone as she waved me down. Sting and Zane pushed me out of my seat. I quickly hopped down the steps so I wouldn’t keep anyone waiting, and broke open my case, slung it onto me and plugged it into the amp. I stared at the back of Mitchie’s head. Once Mitchie started strumming, the beat came easily. It was a sweet song, obviously about her relationship with her boyfriend.

“That, was sweet – now – anyone else have something to play?” Axel asked once Mitchie strummed her last cord. My heart fell as Zane ran from our seats.

“We, known as We Are The In Crowd, would like to go.” He said into the microphone before handing it back to his Father and proceeded to open his guitar case while the others got onto the stage. Mitchie and the others I had met left the stage while the rest of my band rushed onto the stage. Riley stood behind the piano on the raised platform with Sting beside him at the drums. Zane pulled me to the front while wheeling the amp behind me, I gulped.

The boys started our best song – unfortunately. Fortunately, I was not the only one with vocals in the song. I gulped as my first words were about to come. I opened my mouth, “If this is what you think is honest – honestly I think I’m going to freak out,” I started.

“This isn’t where I wanna be. Wanna be. I think I’ll let myself out,” Zane sang from my right.

I just stood there as they played, my mouth hanging open with no words coming out. I turned, unplugged my bass from the amp and ran. I did not grab my case. I did not grab my bag. I just took what was on my person and ran. I ran right off of the camp ground and onto the street Eli and I had traveled on earlier. I leaned over – huffing. I screamed, “I fucking hate this!”

When I returned to my bunk finally, the boys must have brought the things I had left behind since they were on the floor in front of my bed. I sighed, not wanting to face my sleeping roommates if I woke them up – or Caitlyn’s wrath. I stared down at my watch for what must have been the hundredth time since I had left. Four thirty five in the morning. I gently took off my shoes and slunk through the door, placing my bass on my bed softly. I cursed under my breath as a floor board creaked under my feet. I slipped my shoes back on and began walking around the camp site, finding a small little enclosed space between some heavy brush that shadowed me from everything.

[Splash]

“You look dead,” Eli said plainly as I sat down at the breakfast table.

“Do you want an early morning,” I broke out into a yawn.

“Where the hell did you go last night,” Sting asked, chowing down on a slice of bacon.

I picked up my fork and pushed my eggs around the plate, “Accidently took the long way around.” We were all interrupted by a large clang of metal on glass. I saw Brown stand up onto a bench as he cleared his throat. He did not look please. Thoughts started to run through my head. He’s going to kick me out of camp since I can not sing in front of people.

“I hope that you all are enjoying your breakfast this morning. Fortunately we lost very few campers. But, after Camp Star’s stunt last night we have lost most of our staff. I regretfully have to close camp for the summer. I will start calling parents to let them know.” Brown turned his head to the ground and left through the open double doors of the cafeteria.

“Bet you’re happy,” Caitlyn mused, flicking the back of my head. I winched before I lashed around to send her a glare.

Mitchie ran over to us with what I had come to guess was her typical large smile. “Guys, I have a great idea on how we can stay here.”

Eli pouted out his bottom lip slightly and placed a hand under his chin, He motioned to Mitchie, “Do indulge me.” I picked up my orange juice.

“We can be the counselors!” She giggled. My eyes went wide as I started to coke on my juice. I slammed the glass on the table coughing into my lap.

“Oh, can I teach piano?” Riley asked. He coughed into his fist, “I mean. Piano’s all I do girl.”

“And our Aurora can teach Bass,” Eli smiled, hitting my shoulder roughly.

“I was actually hoping that you could teach improving as well.” Mitchie smiled shyly.

How could I possibly say yes? “I’ll help.” Idiot.

“Great! And if you guys would like to help as well – that would be fantastic!”