Vengeance

For Old Times' Sake

Gena sat on a couch at Syn’s headquarter, once again comforted by the man she loathed so much. The origin of her tears was a mix of worry and great relief as Zacky Vengeance once again had managed to escape from Synyster’s men. She didn’t know how much longer she could keep this up. She wanted it all over with, so things could get back to the way they once used to be, though they never entirely would.

Protected by the darkness, Gena went to place a handwritten note on the usual spot, behind the loose brick of an old abandoned building. She found a folded piece of paper and slipped it into her pocket, replacing it with her own note before putting back the loose brick.

Later that same night, Zacky limped over to the loose brick to pick up Gena’s note. He had hurt his knee badly when one of Synyster’s men, determined to stop him from escaping, had stomped on it with a heavy boot. His knee was swollen as it had filled up with blood, and it was a painful walk he had undertaken to fetch Gena’s message.

Her message read:
Thursday 3am, the bay by boat. Be careful.
My love is Vengeance.


Zacky’s note to Gena was a bit longer, and it contained a gift. It was a silver necklace with a sparrow charm. His note read:
"Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come? Why should my heart be lonely when I know with the source I am one? I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free, the eye of Source is on the sparrow, I know Source is watching me."
It used to be K’s. Keep it close to your heart and never forget; you’re not ever alone and He’s watching over you.
My love is you, always has been.


Tears filled Gena’s eyes as she put the silver necklace on and hid the note amongst the others inside a photo frame. The picture in the frame was of her and Kendra, who had been her best friend since childhood. “I love you Kendra,” she whispered as she put the frame back on the bedside table and lay down on her bed to stare up at the ceiling.

---

Thursday night came. Vengeance and Johnny lay hidden by the bay, impatiently waiting for things to start happening. It was chilly outside and they’d been waiting for what felt like ages.

“I’m freezing my hands off, what time is it?” Johnny asked, frantically rubbing his hands together, blowing his warm breath at them.

“A few minutes past three,” Zacky replied shortly after a quick glance at his digital watch. “They should be here anytime now.”

Right then a black SUV appeared on the gravel parking. “Finally,” Johnny muttered as he soundlessly got up on his feet to sneak closer, closely followed by Zacky. Eventually the awaited boat with illegal goods approached the bay.

Zacky dreaded what he was about to do and made the sign of the cross glancing up at the starlit sky before he loaded his gun and aimed at the man in charge of the motor boat. Reluctantly, Zacky pulled the trigger and shot the man in the shoulder so he lost control over the boat and seconds later it crashed and burst into flames. Penetrating screams of pain from the people on the boat burst through the night. Zacky prayed for their survival as he watched them throw themselves into the icy cold water.

“Zacky, what the fuck are you doing? Run!” Johnny’s panicked voice snapped him out of it, and he looked up to see Synyster’s men coming at them with handguns.

“Johnny, for fuck’s sake run!” he shouted desperately at Johnny who was pulling him back up on his feet. Johnny, who knew that due to his injured knee Zacky couldn’t run as fast, refused to leave his side. Johnny aimed his gun at the approaching men and stared gravely at Zacky, shaking his head.

“I’ll hold them back for you. Just run, Zacky. I’ll be right behind you,” Johnny insisted with a definite expression on his face. Zacky ignored the sharp pain in his right knee and ran as fast as he possibly could. They had almost reached their car when Zacky heard a gunshot behind him and looked back to see Johnny lying motionless on the ground. Zacky’s heart seemed to skip a beat at the sight and he stopped abruptly, causing his injured knee to twitch.

One of Synyster’s men stood hovering over Johnny, aiming his gun at his head about to finish him off. “No,” Zacky protested, and the man looked up at him in surprise. “Please, spare his life and kill me instead,” Zacky begged as he limped forward. He realized he was staring into the hazel eyes of a man that once used to be one of his closest friends, and also a friend of Johnny’s. “Matt, spare his life and get him to the hospital... f-for old times’ sake.”

Matt hesitated for a moment before lowering his gun with a short nod. Leaving Johnny on the ground behind him, he walked over to Zacky. “Give me your gun,” he ordered as the rest of Synyster’s closest men approached them. Zacky handed over the gun before receiving a punch on the head by one of Syn’s men which left him unconscious.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading!
And thanks Christ! and KDRL for commenting - it really means a lot to me.