Our Love Isn't Perfect, But It's True

Chapter 19

I stared up at the crazy, completely and utterly insane stalker above me, helpless to him. Then a thought sparked in my mind, and I realized something that may save the people I cared about most: if I fought Psycho, maybe it would keep him away from them long enough to unbind themselves and get away.

So, I jumped to my feet and went to slam my fist into Psycho's face, all within a split second. The problem was he stopped my hand with his, and then used the other to slam me into the wall once again. The gun uncomfortably pressed into my back, the sound of slamming metal against the wall muffled by my hoodie.

"Ah, ah, ah, dear. I don't think you want to do that. Not yet, anyway," Psycho stated, before gesturing broadly to the area behind him. The area where my friends were leaning against the wall. Everywhere else was pitch black. Then, from the shadows stepped a dark silhouette, a figure I recognized from our close contact a while back.

"Dagger," I hissed, struggling against Psycho's much stronger grip around my throat. The situation brought back a nightmarish deja vu moment that started shooting adrenaline through my veins.

Dagger grinned about as maniacally as Psycho did, but with a more teenagerish face. It was easy to see he had taught Dagger well. I hadn't notice Psycho had been slowly lifting me until my feet left the ground. He then let go and I fell in a crumpled heap. I hopped back up, ignoring the pain and keeping my back to the wall to somewhat defend myself. But, Psycho had already turned away from me. The fact that he did caught me off-guard, until I realized Dagger was watching me meticulously.

I was about to strike forward on Psycho's turned back, when Dagger raised a malicious device and pointed randomly in the direction of the wall the others were against. A loud crack sounded, causing everyone (except Dagger and Psycho, of course) to jump. I noticed a new small hole just to the right of Alexandra's head. It took a moment for me to realize it was a bullet hole, and Dagger had a gun. He lowered it back to his side.

The stakes have been raised.

"McCartney, I suppose you want to how I was able to capture your friends and bring them here. You probably already know I didn't do it alone, obviously. But, I did know you would come after me, but it was quite a catch to see your little followers helping as well. And you? Well you just fell right into my little game by coming here. I expected to have to tell you, but you tried to play the smart strategist, didn't you? And how do you think that's working now, love?" Psycho taunted, no doubt a smirk on his face as he stared at the four boys and two girls he had taken prisoner.

I took and risk and stepped a little ways towards Psycho, causing Dagger to raise his gun back in the direction of the wall, but not pulling the trigger.

"I want to know why, Psycho. Why are you so insane that one loss would send you on a violent rampage, hurting innocent people?" I asked, my voice deadly calm and steady. I could tell that had taken him aback by the way Psycho slightly winced at my words.

"There is no such then as an innocent person, McCartney," he replied, his tone slowly increasing in both pitch and anger. All of a sudden Psycho spun around and slammed a fist into my gut. It knocked the air out of me, and I heard a gasp. I looked up and saw everyone conscious and watching.

Kris had kept up his dangerous and defiant facade, but I could see the flicker of fright behind his eyes. Alex, who had always been my strongest right-hand female fighter, was nothing but freaked from the bullet that could have hit and killed her. Trent, whom I should have left with Josie, was eyeing me, not so sure what to think. Tyler and Ethan, I knew they were both scared for their lives, but I saw the lightness of concern in their eyes as they watched my stand-off with Psycho. Smokey stared at me with wide, innocent eyes. And for the first time in my life, I saw fear clear in her smoky grey eyes.

Psycho frowned angrily when I didn't hit him back, and threw a right-hook, slamming into my cheek and snapping my head sideways. Psycho paused momentarily, but I said nothing nor did anything. Deeply angered, Psycho began throwing random hits. Left-hook, uppercut, right-hook, straight right, left jab. So many punches later, I felt my back hit the wall once again, and the distinct metallic taste of blood filled my mouth.

"Fight back!" he roared, panting more than I. "You wanted a fight so much merely moments before. Why won't you fight back now?" I reached up and wiped my mouth, looking down at the blood staining my sleeve. I turned my head and spit out the excess blood on to the concrete floor.

"Let them all go, and I'll fight back. We can have a full-out, no-rules fight. If you just let them all leave without hurting them anymore, I will fight you. Scouts honor." My feeble attempt at humor didn't phase him.

Psycho gave me his signature grin and spoke, "Pick three." That made me flinch in shock. I shook my head, glaring harshly at him.

"No, it's all or nothing," I answered.

"No," Psycho retorted, "It's three or I kill them all. Half of them goes, half stays. Make you choice." I froze, picking through his words. Was he planning on killing the ones that I didn't pick? I glanced at where my friends, my loved ones sat, helpless and injured. Kris and Alex nodded. I knew from the start they were strong enough to stay, so I gave a barely noticeable nod in reply.

As my eyes drifted down the row, I saw Trent and Smokey as the most injured. That left the last pick between Ethan and Tyler. My brother and my boyfriend. Both whom I loved dearly, and had been through so much with. Tyler stared at me with begging eyes, wanting me to pick anyone other than him. Ethan simply dropped his head, and I knew what that meant.

"Smokey, Trent and..." I paused, turning my eyes to Psycho's, "Ethan." Ethan's head shot up, staring at me in shock. He had expected not to be chosen. Tyler smiled sadly and nodded, approving.

Psycho scoffed, "Not picking your precious Tyler? I have to say McCartney, I underestimated you. I'll make you a deal, depending on how long the fight lasts, I'll let the rest go, one at a time."

I held my breath as Dagger whipped out a blade and leaned down. Yet, he only cut the tape binding Trent, Smokey and Ethan, and ripped it from their mouths. Dagger forced them to stand and shoved the towards the stairs Tyler and I had came down earlier.

They all looked back and called out to me and the still-captive three. I shot them a strong smile, hoping it would comfort them enough. When they were gone and safe, with Dagger back in his spot, leaning against the wall beside Kris, I exhaled and took a fighting stance.

Psycho struck forward first, I usually don't make the first move. He came out with a simple right hook. However, since that was his dominant hand, Psycho could put a lot of power behind the move. I ducked and threw a counterpunch directly into his gut as he had to me, hearing the satisfying 'oof' escape from Psycho.

I spun around him and dodged another attack. "So, what's your real name?" I asked, trying to throw him off, but actually curious. Psycho looked taken aback for a moment, allowing me to hit him again in the back of the neck with a sort of karate chop motion.

Psycho groaned and turned on me, shoving me roughly to the floor and kicking me. I rolled over and stood up, glaring at him. Psycho just laughed. "No rules, remember? And my name is... Matthew Wilsons." He had hesitated. He wasn't used to the name anymore.

Right as I swung, he took a step back, causing me to lose my balance and stumble. "Dagger, take the girl. But don't cut her binds until you get to the top of the stairs." I watched with a spark of happiness as Alex was yanked from the floor and pushed to the staircase.

Psycho took my distraction as an opportunity to attack. My head snapped to up, more blood filling my mouth as he shot a left jab to my side and an uppercut to my face. I coughed, nearly choking on my own blood, and quickly spit it out.

I was getting more and more tired by the minute. Psycho kept pulling off moves I had never seen or heard of, and it was getting harder and harder to keep up. Sweat was dripping down my body, as well as his. Finally, after what seemed like forever, Dagger took Kris and released him. Leaving just Psycho, Dagger, Tyler and me.

I decided on whim to pause and take a step away from them and another towards Tyler. "This is it. You either let him go now, or i won't fight," I hissed. I didn't understand why it was so important for him to fight me again, but I was tired of him having hostages. Psycho let out an intimidating roar and shook his head.

"No! You either fight or else," he shouted, getting up in my face and lightly shoving me. I shook my head and dodged away from him. Psycho growled and spun around to say something to Dagger. But, instead, he got a mischievous and insane grin adorning his face. Psycho stepped forward to him and took the gun from Dagger. This was the first time I saw fear in Dagger's eyes. Psycho turned to face me and leveled the gun directly at Tyler.

"I will kill him," he stated. My face fell and I looked deep into Tyler's eyes. He was concerned for me, not for himself like he should be. And he was defiant. He didn't want me to give in for him. But I definitely saw the fright that was clear in his expression. I sighed and fell to my knees.

"No," I said, "Let him go. I'll take the fall. You can kill me. Just please, let him go." I didn't like the defenseless, hopeless, helpless tone of my voice. Psycho laughed, causing Dagger to laugh dishonestly and concerned from behind him. I met Dagger's eyes and silently willed him to undo Tyler, but it was no use. Psycho stared a met for a moment, contemplating his next move. Then, he grinned again and directed the gun at me.

"Ok," he snapped. Psycho looked as though he was going to speak again, but the loud sounds of sirens filled the air. That momentary distraction gave me the opportunity to yank the gun out from the waistband of my jeans and point it at Psycho.

Right at that moment, Psycho noticed the weapon and, with wide eyes, our guns simultaneously went off. I dropped my gun at my side almost immediately afterwards. My eyes never left Psycho's as he stared with blank confusion before collapsing to the floor. A bullet wound had been place randomly on his forehand, a true kill shot.

Everything else suddenly became a blur. I felt a warm sticky substance sliding down my neck. Dagger cut Tyler from his bonds then suddenly disappeared out what seemed to be a back door. Tyler rushed over and lowered me to the floor. Lights flashed and before I knew it, I was surrounded by strange people in uniforms I didn't fully recognize.

And then, it all went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
PLEASE READ:

Ok guys, big announcement! Next chapter is the final chapter of this story. I know, it's a little sad, but hath no fear! I'm writing TWO, yes TWO new stories called "Close to the Edge, But I'm Not Ready to Jump" and "Fighting Fate" which will have links posted in the final chapter of this story. So please, check them out.