Clemency

Jade

It was a good thing Aaron had football practice today, I thought, because I didn't want him to be around for my defense lessons with Carrick. I was sure to make a fool of myself. Why on earth had I ever agreed to this? I must have been crazy.

But knowing how absurd this was didn't make me any less excited. There was something about Carrick, something that drew me closer. If defense lessons were what it took to have him spend time with me, then defense lessons I would have. Besides, who knew? Maybe I would actually learn something useful.

I had forty-five minutes before Carrick was supposed to arrive. What to do?

In the end, I lay down on the swing we had on our front porch and let the drifting motion soothe my nerves. I hummed a lullaby and let my mind wander. It was actually sort of nice, not to be doing anything in particular. Breathing in deep, I let myself enjoy the scents of autumn all around me. The decaying leaves, the spices wafting toward me from the neighbor's kitchen, the faint smell of apples from our tree…

And for the first time in too long, I was at peace.

- - -

"Jade? Jade…" Someone was shaking my shoulder. I groaned and rolled over, right off of the bench. Warm, strong arms caught me before I hit the ground. My eyes snapped open.

"Well, this is embarrassing," I muttered, struggling to get to my feet. Carrick laughed, but I could tell from the look in his eyes that he was angry about something.

"You shouldn't be putting yourself in such a vulnerable position. Anyone could have waltzed right over and kidnapped you or worse." Jeez. And I had always thought that Aaron was protective.

"Well, no one did, so no harm done." As soon as the words left my mouth, I knew that they were the exact wrong ones to say.

"Jade, please listen to me when I say that this town is infinitely more dangerous to you than your last. The same rules don't apply. Only sleep behind locked doors." I studied his expression. He really meant it. I wasn't sure how I felt about that. There was certainly some part of me that was thrilled and terrified by the prospect of danger. And then there was the part that was confused. Why did he care so much?

His hand came up and tucked the pendant back under my shirt. I shivered as his hands barely rubbed at the bare skin showing above my shirt line.

"Thanks," I whispered, staring down at my shoes because it was easier than meeting his gaze.

Carrick coughed and took a step back. "Well. We'd better get to work. It would probably be best if we took this to your backyard, so that you won't trip over all of these apples. Besides, this way any nosy neighbors won't be able to watch." He flashed a quick grin.

"Now," Carrick began as we walked around the house, "we're just going to do some basic things today. How to get out of someone's grip, the best way to temporarily incapacitate someone so that you'll have time to run. Things like that."

"Doesn't sound too hard," I lied. Carrick gave me the same look he did every time I was less than honest with him, and I winced. Thankfully, he didn't say anything about it this time.

"Don't worry, Jade. It's not." He walked out into the middle of the yard and motioned for me to join him. The instant I was near enough, he sprang toward me and drew me close, with one arm wrapped around my stomach and the other holding a stick to my neck. My heart tripped, then sped up.

"Pretend for me that this is a knife," Carrick whispered. "How do you get away?"

"I don't," I said honestly.

Carrick chuckled. "Twist for me to the right, and bring your knee up. Go on, do it. You're not going to hurt me. Not for long, anyway. I'm a quick healer, and most attackers would be male, so this will work." Well, this was uncomfortable, to say the least. After all, I had only met him yesterday. But I did as I was told.

And so it continued, and I began to feel well-rehearsed. I even stopped blushing when he asked me to knee him in the groin, which I felt was huge progress.

I lost track of time, so I honestly didn't know how long he kept drilling me before he finally pulled away and said, "I think that's enough for today."

"Are you sure?" I asked, reluctant for him to leave. There really wasn't much to do around here, and it was going to be dark soon, which meant I shouldn't be going anywhere.

Carrick smiled lightly at this and said, "Yeah, I'm sure. Besides, didn't I promise you dinner? I was going to bring wings over, but I didn't want them to get cold and you shouldn't be exercising on a full stomach. You'd get sick. So I'll take you to a wing joint instead. I know a good place not too far from here."

I looked doubtfully at the sun, which was hanging low in the sky. "Didn't you tell me that I can't be going out when it's dark? It will be soon."

Now Carrick was grinning. "Thank goodness you were listening. That still applies- unless you're with me. I can protect you."

"What about Aaron? He's pushing his way into being the starting quarterback. I'd say he can defend me."

"No," was all Carrick said. "It would be a huge risk. If you ever need to go anywhere and it's dark, just give me a call." Carrick started walking toward his car, and I followed.

"I don't know your phone number," I pointed out. He opened the passenger door for me and I hid a smile. Most boys weren't nearly so gentlemanly.

Carrick took his good time answering, and it wasn't until we were halfway down my street that he said, "Let me see your cell phone for a minute."

I had already learned that it wasn't a good idea to question him, and I did as he asked. Still, I couldn't help but say, "You really shouldn't be playing around with phones while you're driving. If we crash, these defense lessons will be for nothing."

Carrick laughed aloud, as if the possibility alone was ridiculous. "Don't worry about that."

I rolled my eyes. I didn't understand him, not at all. It was like he thought he was something entirely other. Like he was invincible. "Fine. But don't expect me not to rub it in when we're in a ditch somewhere and your nice car's all busted up."

Of course, that didn't happen, and soon enough we were sitting in a restaurant I'd never heard of, looking at menus.

The waitress was Marie Berry, the girl who had helped me out on the first day. When she saw me, she grinned. "Jade! How are you?"

I smiled- it was nice to be recognized, especially in a new town. But before I had the chance to answer her, Carrick made a funny sound, like a wordless warning. Her head snapped toward him and she hissed.

"What's he doing here?" she asked in a voice that was shockingly hostile.

"What's wrong? He's a friend."

"Back off," Carrick said quietly. Marie flipped her hair and strode off, but the look on her face before she did said this, whatever it was, wasn't over.

"What the heck was that?" I demanded.

"Jade, you shouldn't be friends with her. In fact, you should stay far, far away," Carrick told me seriously, completely ignoring my question.

I stared at him in disbelief. "Who do you think you are? You can't just order me around like this. I refuse to let you waltz into my life and take over, Carrick."

"It's for your own good," he argued, seeming genuinely perplexed as to why I was upset. I studied his face, looking for even the smallest hint of regret or understanding, but I couldn't find any.

This argument was going nowhere. I stood and left him sitting there, running out into the cold, dark night.