Clemency

Carrick

Never before had trailing someone for the sake of their protection bothered me. Granted, they usually had known I was there, but even in the cases where, like Jade, the subjects were clueless, I had never thought of what I was doing as wrong. But if it wasn't wrong, why did I feel so guilty?

Though I did my best to see her by more traditional means- face-to-face- it didn't always work out. In the mornings, I stayed seated under Jade's window. One astonishing morning, I heard her mumbling to herself.

"And here I promised myself I would do laundry last night, because I knew- I knew! That this would happen. I have absolutely nothing to wear. That's a lie. I have plenty to wear, but none of it fits right, or it's not weather appropriate, or it's just plain unflattering. And I know I shouldn't care about these things. I try my best not to. But ever since… Well, I kind of do." I was baffled, to say the least. What could possibly motivate her to ramble to herself?

But I was more amused than confused. Was that really what she was thinking, those times in class when she zoned out? Oh, what I wouldn't give to be a mind reader like Colum, my boss, was, times like those. Then she would catch my eye and flash a quick half-smile…

It was at one of those times that I realized I was in trouble. It was then that I realized that I had no business watching over her. Getting emotionally attached meant that it would be harder to be clear-minded, to make the quick, rational decisions that this job required. I should have pulled myself out right then, and had Colum find someone else. But I just couldn't do it.

On Friday, I let Jade have another break from her defense lessons. I couldn't push it, or she would refuse to learn. She didn't know, not yet, of their importance. If I had my way, she never would. Jade didn't belong in my world. She shouldn't be pulled into it.

And she was going to be going to the mall with some friend of hers. I was going, too, of course, but she didn't exactly know that. I planned to follow at a discreet distance, just close enough that I could be sure to reach her in case of trouble. I shuddered to think of the consequences if she caught me- and with her senses improving daily, it was a real possibility.

Of course, my plans to keep hidden dissipated as soon as I saw who she was meeting- what was Jade doing with Marie? Had I not told her to stay away from that girl? But then, I knew that Jade hadn't taken that particular warning seriously.

I felt my skin prickle and my stomach clench tight. If I was capable of hyperventilating, I would have been.

Hard as it is to admit, I panicked. Did I keep following, or did I try to pull her away immediately. My logic told me that the first option was better, but something else in me simply couldn't accept it. Jade was in danger. It didn't matter to me if the price of her safety was our friendship- because I knew she would be furious with me. "Jade!" I called out.

She spun around, and Marie snarled, gripping Jane's arm. "Don't come any closer," she warned.

Jade glanced back at her before turning to me. "What are you doing here?" She looked more confused than angry so far.

"I actually came here looking for you because of that math test tomorrow. I know I said I'd give you the night off, but I just don't understand the material. And if I don't get an A in the course, I'll have my car taken away." Of course, the lie didn't sit right, but I knew that Jade was the kind of person who would feel real sympathy for a friend in need of help.

She looked reluctant. "Marie, would you mind terribly if I helped him out? I did promise to tutor him in math, and I'm sure you have loads of other people who would love to help you pick out your dress- all of them with much better style, I might add." Marie huffed, but she nodded.

"Fine. But next weekend, you're going to make it up to me. How about a movie night?" I shook my head when Jade turned to face her. I should have known she wouldn't make this easy on me.

Why was Jade even being targeted by Marie? There was no way she knew that Jade had the Stone, or she wouldn't be playing so nice.

It was a mystery for another day. Just then, I was simply happy to have successfully pulled Jade away.

"I'll make it up to you," I told her as I led her out to the parking lot, slinging my arm around her shoulder and drawing her close. It was an indulgence, and one I couldn't afford to get used to. Still, it calmed the nerves left over from that encounter with Marie.

Jade stiffened for a moment, but then she relaxed against me. "How?"

"Ice cream?"

"To be fair, I should let you know that I'm half starved. You'd better be prepared to buy a lot of ice cream," she warned. I knew that she was only half joking. I didn't know whether Jade had always had such a healthy appetite or whether it was because of the changes being affected by the Stone, but it was incredible, how much such a small girl could eat.

Incredible. That was just one of the words I could use to describe her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so, so very sorry about how long this took to get up. I know you don't want to hear (read?) excuses, but… well, there were finals, then there was a death in the family, then it was the holidays and I was working and busy and…

Well, no matter. It's up now, and I hope you forgive me. It's safe to start expecting regular updates once more. Thank you so, so much for your patience.

-Cait