Status: It's a work in progress... I wrote the base story about a year and a half ago, and now I'm revising it and putting it on here.

Sapphire Flyer

Chapter Four

[Chapter Four]

The door to the room Kanna was in swung open, and it made her jump almost out of the bed and onto her ankle. She swung her head just in time to see Ryukashiin leading another man into the room. She knew him instantly as Captain Aruichi.

"Captain..." Kanna's voice was a dry whisper. She felt her stomach jump into her throat, her eyes were wide with shock and feelings of betrayl comsumed her. She opened her mouth to speak, but Ryukashiin held up a hand to silence her."

"It's alright," he said reassuringly, and then motioned toward Aruichi, "he's an old friend. He means you no harm, I promise." Kanna felt her stomach churn a little. Ryukashiin saw the look that crossed her face. "I promise to you on my honor that he is not here to harm you or to take you back there."

"His words are true, Kanna," Captain Aruichi said in a tone that could leave no doubt. "Although we serve the Emperor, you have forgotten that we are still mercenaries. We have friends other than the ones we serve with, and we, unlike Provencal Soldiers, have hearts and souls. I knew there was something up with the Emperor keeping you in there for so long. I could see in his eyes that he was up to something horrid, but what, I don't know.

"If you still doubt me, then hear this: I have hard you plotting with the servants assigned to you about an escape on a rainy night and ever since then, I've personally patrolled the corridors of the Palace to help aid in your escape. Think about all of the things that were so easy last night."

Kanna thought for a moment. He was right, she realized. There were no guards in the corridors as she crept through them, almost all of the torches that ran along the route she had planned to take had been extinguished, and the main gate had been unlocked. She broke her gaze from the Captain and lowered it to the floor.

She bit her lower lip.

"His presence here is by complete accident," Ryu stated gently. He knelt down to look her in the eyes. "I understand that it may be difficult for you to trust me because we just met and you have no idea who I am," he inhaled deeply, "but I would trust my life with this man, and I know that he would keep you being here a close secret."
♠ ♠ ♠
il progresso รจ promettente "Progress is Promising" (Italian)