Status: complete

DaySleeper

thirty

Maggie has been writing me a lot. Her e-mails to me consist of plans to rebuild the shelter. A group of women who lived at the shelter when it opened have started planning a fundraiser. One of them, a surgeon, is talking about hosting a party to raise money.

Maggie says it may take awhile to get all the money that will be needed to rebuild. It may take months. She hopes it will be ready again soon.

Most of the residents were placed in other shelters, she informs me. Janelle and the boys are safe, staying at a nice shelter in another city. Janelle hopes to have a home before the shelter is done being rebuilt.

I will probably not see them again for a long time.

~~
My therapist mentions that I am looking thin. I stare at him.

“I’ve been looking thin for nearly six months now.”

“Perhaps you’d do better at an inpatient clinic?”

“I wouldn’t.”

“You’re so sure?”

I look at him.

“I’d like to be transferred to a new therapist.”

He’s on the phone with a colleague of his by the end of the meeting, and Rebecca is more than happy to take me to another clinic next week.

~~
I go with Rebecca the next day to her ultrasound appointment.

She smiles softly at the beating heart on the monitor. I stare in awe, or something close, at least.

“It’s a boy,” she tells me. I smile.

“What will you name him?”

She blinks once.

“Warner.”

~~
My new therapist is a young woman. She’s most likely a little under 30, and pretty, in a plain way. She smiles sincerely at me when I speak, and she doesn’t give me looks, like the last guy. I rant about him for awhile.

“Well, I guess it’s good that you transferred then. A bad therapist can do more harm than the worst mental illnesses, in many cases.”

I tell her about Kane. She nods throughout and asks me if I hate him.

“Yes.” I say.

“Is that healthy?”

“To hate him?”

“Yes.”

“Yes. I think so. I mean, if I still loved him, I’d run back to him again. And then I’d let him beat me down again, and then I’d wish he’d kill me. I’d rather be alone and miserable right now that with him.”

“That’s an interesting way to look at it.”

“Thanks?”

“It wasn’t an insult,” she assures me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all! I think things get better in a few more chapters (:
Thank you to MyCornerOfTheWoods, boomshakalaka, holly.is.awkward, Lovecrush1, and Stickers.Attack.Face for commenting.
That's only 5. 7 and you get an update, remember?

xoxo,
Ann Silex