Status: complete

DaySleeper

thirty one

It is April.

Not two months ago, Avid and I were Valentines. We haven’t spoken since the day I left. Alice tells me sometimes that he seems okay. I know she says it so I will not worry, but it hurts. I wish he missed me.

~~
Rebecca is nearing her due date, which is May 15th. I wonder what it will be like with me here, and their baby. I feel kind of bad. I am sleeping in the nursery.

I stare down at my plate. Rebecca and James continue to talk about their days, prompting me sometimes.

“Guys?” I say. They stop talking and look to me.

“Yeah?”

“I think I’ll move to the couch when the due date gets closer.”

“You don’t have to—” Rebecca says.

“That’s very generous, but—” James speaks.

“No,” I say, “I want to. Besides, I won’t be here too much longer. I’ll probably be out by… Well, I am trying to leave soon. I want you two to have the normal family.”

“You can stay as long as you want,” James says.

“I know,” I reply, “I don’t want to stay much longer though. I need to go back.”

~~
Maggie has written me again, telling me that the insurance will be covering some of the cost to rebuild the shelter. She says that the fundraisers are going well, and they hope to be able to build the shelter up, better than before, with the help of the community.

I am happy to hear. I hope I can go back soon. I am dying to go back.

~~
My therapist, Mary, and I talk again today about the shelter. She is interested to know about the people, and I am happy to tell her about everyone.

I mention Avid, and grow quiet.

“What?” she asks.

“I miss him.”

“Have you spoken with him?”

“He’s doing fine without me. I wouldn’t want to fuck it up.”

She frowns.

“Anyways,” I say, “I’ve been on this medication for four weeks… shouldn’t I be feeling… better?”

“Yes and no,” she says, “You probably will not start feeling markedly better for two or three more weeks. Then we’ll switch you if it’s still not working. It can be complicated.”

“I know,” I say.

“And, you know, a lot of it has to do with you helping it. You can’t depend on outside forces to help you always. Everyone has to feel powerful.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A short chapter.
I have 40 subscribers on this story.
1. Thank you all so much.
2. Why are you being such turds about commenting? If I get 7 comments, you get an update. Simple!

Anyways, thank you to holly.is.awkward, MyCornerOfTheWoods, boomshakalaka, Lovecrush1, Stickers.Attack.Face, and Gates of Delirium for commenting!

xoxo,
Ann Silex

PS: I know the story has gotten very slow in pace, but in about 5 chapters, it's fast again. You can either wait five weeks for it to be fast, or you can be proactive. The power is in the hands of the people.