Status: complete

DaySleeper

forty one

The construction will be done today. Through all the drama, it has gotten done. We are prickling with excitement.

In one week, a celebratory party will be held for all the investors and workers and volunteers. So, we have one week to get all the furniture in, paint the kitchen, and a few other, small things. Professionals are painting tomorrow while we move in the beds and get them all set up.

As they’re still hard at work today, this is our last day to enjoy some free time before we’re back to working all day, every day, until the shelter re-opens.

Alice comes over to spend the day with me before we have our volunteer meeting at five. I am guessing that it has something to do with where everyone is going, because I am pretty sure that everyone is moving out. We don’t need this many people working with us.
With four hours until the meeting, Alice and I sit on the front porch, watching the final pieces going inside the shelter.

“Avid and I kissed last night,” I tell her. She spins and grabs me, screaming. “Alice!” I cry out.
“I am so happy for you!” she squeals. I laugh, and beg her to calm down.

“It’s no big deal,” I say.

“It’s the biggest deal ever,” she assures me. I roll my eyes. After a moment, she changes the topic. “Did you quit smoking?”

“I’m trying. Let’s not talk about it,” I say. She seals her lips and locks them. I find myself giggling a little bit.

“Anyways,” she says, “Back to you and Avid.”

I sigh.

“I’m sorry, I’m excited!” she laughs, grabbing my hands. “You never look so happy as when you two are bumping nasties.”

“Alice!” I scold, slapping her, “We don’t!”

“Whatever,” she says, rubbing the spot where I hit her absently, “I am just saying.”

“I know.”

I stare at the spot where I hit her.

“I’m sorry,” I say. She glances down.

“It doesn’t hurt, honey,” she promises, patting my leg. I nod.

“Good.”

She looks at me, chewing her lip.

“How are you doing, since… since Kane?”

I sigh, and rub my face.

“I loved him, you know? I feel… terrible. If I had stayed, he’d be alive right now.”

Alice blinks a few times.

“Would you be though?”

My eyes begin to fill with water.

“I doubt it.”

“Then you did the right thing. It’s not your job to protect everyone, all the time.”

“I know,” I say. She gives me a look. “I really know,” I promise, “but I can’t help but think about it.”

“Don’t blame yourself. I love you.”

“I love you too,” I reply, and she wraps her arms around me. I lean into her shoulder and watch the droplets of water sink into the fabric of her shirt.

I lean back and wipe my eyes.

“Let’s do something,” I say. She nods, and smiles.

“Yeah,” she agrees quietly. The door opens behind us, and we turn to see Ethel watching us.

“You two want to walk to the store and get me some eggs?” Ethel asks.

“What for?” Alice replies. I shove her lightly

“Don’t be a douche,” I warn her.

“I’m making cake,” Ethel says, glaring at Alice.

“Sorry,” Alice murmurs. I roll my eyes.

“A dozen?” I ask Ethel, standing up and wiping my pants free from dirt.

“Yes, dear,” she replies, and kisses my cheek quickly. As she walks back into the house, she calls over her shoulder, “Don’t be too late, okay? I want to have it done by the meeting!”

I lean in the door, pull four dollars from the money jar and call out a goodbye.

“Where are you going?” Avid calls down the steps.

“The store,” I yell back.

“Want to go with him?” Alice calls to him. I glare at her. “I’m not going with you,” she says loudly to me.

“Alice—!” I complain.

“Coming!” Avid says, jogging down the steps, his shoes already on.

I smile up at him.

“Now you’ll go!” Ethel yells from the kitchen.

“Calm down, old lady! I am coming to help you!” Alice says loudly. I step out the front door. Avid follows. I can hear Alice and Ethel pretending to bicker in the kitchen still.

“She’s one in a million,” I comment, rolling my eyes. Avid laughs. We reach the sidewalk and turn towards the grocery store.

“I have to agree. They both are,” he says. We cross the intersection quickly.

“I’ll miss them,” I sigh. He stops walking.

“Where are you going?” he asks.

“I don’t know,” I reply, “But I figured that we were having this meeting to talk about everyone moving out soon.”

“Why would you?” he asks me. I shift my weight from my right to my left foot.

“I—I don’t know,” I reply.

“We’re not asking you to leave. Why would we?”

“Well,” I say, feeling sufficiently awkward, “I thought this was like… a summer gig.”

“Yeah, for new volunteers,” he says.

“I am a new volunteer.”

“You know what I mean,” he sighs, “Do you want to leave?”

“Of course not,” I promise him earnestly. He smiles.

“Then don’t talk like you’re going,” he begs, “It might kill me this time.”

I stand on my tiptoes and kiss him quickly.

“Sorry,” I say.

“Don’t be,” he says, grinning widely. I return the expression, taking his hand.

“Let’s go. Ethel might kill us if we take too long to fetch eggs.” I remind Avid. He laughs, pulling my hand and spinning me back into him, kissing me hard.

“I’m not afraid of her,” he promises. My face is burning.

“You should be.”

We both laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
i can't even tell who commented, because I'm sick. There.
So, an update because I think I counted 10...
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

xoxo,
ann silex