Status: complete

DaySleeper

forty four

The next five days are a blur as we finish painting, help move in things, and get everything set back up in Ethel’s office. She really is quite particular about how she likes things.
But finally the day of the celebration dinner arrives. Our house is frenzied.

Jade, Matt, and Greg are all moving out tomorrow, so their bags are packed, but for their fanciest clothes, saved for this special occasion. Mrs. Howan will be here for it, and she’ll be making a speech, as will Maggie, who is as nervous as I’ve ever seen her, over anything, honestly.

We are all expected to help set up, and then go get ready in the twenty minutes before the dinner. It isn’t really a problem for me, Avid, Greg, or Matt, as we don’t wear makeup, or really do our hair, but Ethel, Jade, and Maggie are flustered over it.
I think Maggie might have a heart attack.

Avid and I are the first ones to start setting up, and the last ones in there, finishing. Maggie, Ethel, and Jade helped for fifteen minutes before sprinting back across the street to get ready. Greg and Matt got lazy, so Avid and I finished putting down the plates and tablecloths.
We walk back across the street lazily. I just have to change my shirt and put on my tie. Avid apparently doesn’t feel rushed either, as he seems content to walk as slowly as I am. We head inside, where Maggie and Jade are running around, the backs of their dresses undone, looking for their shoes, which I remember seeing in the kitchen.

“Kitchen!” I yell as I walk in. Maggie sprints off, and I grab Jade by the arm, pulling her over and spinning her so I can zip her up. “You look lovely. Don’t stress out.” I tell her. She pats me on the cheek and says she’ll miss me, before she follows Maggie into the kitchen to fetch her shoes. I hear her offer to zip her up as well. Avid and I glance at each other and go upstairs, Avid leading the way. Greg and Matt are in my room, all ready.

“Why are you two in here?” Avid asks.

“The girls are crazy. And Ethel has locked herself in her room.”

“Girls.” Matt says, rolling his eyes. I laugh a bit.

“Out,” I order, “I have to get dressed.”

“Please let us stay! We all have the same bits!” Greg begs.

“I don’t care,” I reply, shoving Matt towards the door, he follows Avid out and declares that he’ll watch Avid change then. Greg follows without being pushed and promises to keep an eye on Matt. “Thanks?” I say.

I close the door and tug my tee shirt over my head. I pull a white shirt from my bag and pull it on, and then grab my button up from the hanger, buttoning it up quickly. I leave my shirt un-tucked, deciding that I don’t take myself that seriously, and toss my tie back over my head and loop it quickly into a double-Windsor knot. I tighten it, flatten my collar and slip on my dress shoes.

As I open the door, Avid emerges, in his dress pants, a grey vest and a white button up shirt, tucked.

“You look dapper,” I joke, kissing him on the cheek.

“As do you,” he smiles.

I smile back.

“Let’s go. The dinner is starting in five minutes.” He says. I nod and turn around, heading down the steps. Maggie and Jade are waiting at the door.

“Boys take so long to get ready.” Maggie jokes.

I scoff.

“Let’s go ladies,” Avid says.

“Wait for me!” Ethel calls from upstairs. We turn as she makes her way down the steps in a red dress and pearls.

“Way to make a princess entrance,” Jade says. Ethel scowls briefly. I laugh.

“Come on, guys,” Maggie says, “We really do have to go.”

I hold the door for everyone, including Ethel, who tells me I look very grown-up, and handsome. I smile widely. As she walks past me, I count the heads on the sidewalk and determine that everyone has left the building. I reach in and hit the lights, before closing both the main door and the screen door. Avid has waited for me at the bottom of the steps as everyone else crossed the street to join the small crowd entering the building. Mike has been cooking for hours, and I can smell it once I enter. We all find seats at the tables. Avid pulls out a chair for me at the table where Alice and Jade are sitting.

“I'm hungry. When do we eat?” Alice asks loudly. I shush her.

“They’re making speeches, and then we’ll eat.” I tell her. She groans.

“Patience is a virtue,” I mumble. She glares at me.

Eventually, people stop trickling into the room and the front door is closed. The darkened room is lit by a few shaded lights and candles in the center of every table.

“Thank you all so much for coming.” A voice says. I look up to where a small stage has been erected. The thing is less than four feet by four feet, but makes it easier to see the speaker, who I recognize as Mrs. Howan.

“Who’s that?” Alice whispers.

“I am Mrs. Elizabeth Howan, the owner of this fine building you are in,” she introduces herself. Alice looks a bit bashful, even though it’s clear that that was planned, and not a response to Alice’s loud whisper.

A round of applause sounds. She smiles politely, and waves her hand.

“I know a lot of you may not know me. I’ve been the owner of this domestic abuse shelter for thirty-three years. I moved out of the city about ten years ago, but I have a great staff here to keep things running smoothly while I am gone. Let’s give them a hand.”

Everyone claps again, and I am reminded of school assemblies. I smirk into my hand. After we all quiet down, she begins again.

“My mother was the victim of domestic abuse, by my father, and I was lucky to not fall into that pattern as an adult. When this building was up for sale, dirt cheap, I had to buy it and convert it to a shelter for the domestically abused. Women had few safe places to go in this city to get away from abusive partners. We are the second oldest, in operation, abuse shelter in the entire city.”

Another round of applause sounds. Jade is clapping lazily.

Again, Mrs. Howan continues.

“Five years ago, we became the only shelter in the area to accept men into our shelter. We are still the only one, and it’s something we’re very proud of.”

Yet another round of applause sounds. Alice claps me on the back. I roll my eyes, clapping.

“When the fire destroyed the building, the damage was so great that we worried we would not reopen. Our head volunteer here, Maggie, reminded me that people needed us here. People with teenage children, men, and women who called this place home needed us here. So with a lot of her help, we started the fundraising. I would like to say thank you to each and every person that donated any amount of money to help out. You have saved people’s lives, people that haven’t even been born yet, undoubtedly, and I applaud you for that.”

A massive round of applause sounds. Mrs. Howan smiles and claps along with us.

“So, without further ado, here is Maggie, the woman who made it all happen!” Mrs. Howan says over the clapping. The cheers get louder, and a few people stand. My entire table stands and we cheer loudly for Maggie who is walking to the stage now. Mrs. Howan shakes her hand before she steps up.

“Hello,” she says into the microphone, “I’m quite nervous.”

A round of laughter goes through the crowd as everyone sits down and the chairs scrape noisily against the new tiled floor.

“I’ve been working here for a few years now,” Maggie begins.

“I love you, Maggie!” someone yells. She laughs.

“Thanks,” she replies, “Anyways. I’ve been working here a few years, in addition to my full time job as a nurse. I quit over the summer so I could devote all my time to the rebuilding effort, and I am returning to my paying job in about a week or so, but that’s not what I wanted to talk about.”

A small murmur goes through the crowd.

“I gave up my job this summer, knowing I’d have that job waiting for me in the fall. I know five people that gave their summers, unsure of what was to come. My volunteers, please stand up!”

People cheer loudly. Avid pulls me to my feet. I am dumbstruck.

“Avid, he’s right over there,” Maggie says pointing to him. The crowd quiets. “Avid has been working for us for two years, without pay, full time. I have never met anyone so dedicated and honest, and hard working as this kid. He took one vacation, for a month or so and you know what he did? He went to visit his mother.”

People cheer loudly.

“Jade!” Maggie calls, gesturing to her. “Jade just graduated with her bachelors and is planning on going back to school this fall for her masters. She chose to help out here instead of taking a summer course. She’s a hero too.”

The crowd cheers again, a few people whistling. Jade blushes.

“Matt, who’s right there,” Maggie says, pointing to him across the room, “Matt is in his fourth year of school, two hours away. He moved here this summer, away from friends and family, to help us. Thank you, Matt!”

Matt waves as people cheer.

“Greg,” Maggie calls, and he waves, standing next to Matt, “Greg is a talented photographer. He was offered an internship at the local paper, but decided to help us instead. Thank you, Greg!”

Greg bows dramatically. I should have guessed he’d be a photographer.

“Last, but not least, is Cadence,” Maggie says. I am the last one standing, and people stare at me. “Cadence was staying here at the shelter when the fire happened. He saved a three year old boy from the building, suffering some pretty serious injuries. He moved out of state while we weren’t sure if we’d even rebuild, and when we asked him to come back, he came in a heartbeat. Thank you Cade.”

I am a deep red. It sounds very good of me when said that way.

People cheer very loudly, and I sit back down next to Avid, who whispers that I look cute when I am flushed.

~~
The dinner is very good, but I only eat a bit before a small child by the name of Josiah is climbing up my leg.

“Jo!” I laugh, pulling him onto my lap.

“I miss you!” he pouts.

“I miss you too,” I reply. I look up at Janelle who smiles sadly.

“We won’t be staying here anymore, Cadence,” she tells me. My heart drops.

“That’s good though,” I say. Kyle walks up. I nod hello to him.

“Josiah really misses you though,” she says. Josiah nods earnestly, looking up at me.

Avid slips out of his seat and heads off to talk to Maggie.

“I miss him too,” I admit, ruffling his hair, “But we’ll see each other around, won’t we buddy?”

Jo smiles, missing three teeth.

“Where did they go?!” I ask him, pointing to his mouth.

“Well, he swallowed one,” Kyle laughs. I gasp.

“You didn’t!” I say. Josiah nods proudly.

“Come on, honey, let’s go eat,” Janelle says, pulling Jo from my lap.

“Good to see you guys!” I call out as they walk away. Kyle waves.

Avid slips back into his seat.

“Maggie says she’s going to offer Janelle free daycare for Josiah. Here.” Avid says nonchalantly, taking a sip of water. I squeal and slap him.

“Don’t act like it’s nothing! This is so great!” I say.

He smiles at me.

“I know.” He says.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hahahahaha I have 69 subscribers.
Anyways, thank you all so much for being so supportive of this story. In the last 15 chapters or so the amount of subbies and comments has really sky rocketed. It honestly makes me so happy.
On another note, we only have about four more chapters left! I really need to get writing again so I have something to post!
:)
I honestly have 5 stories that are all around 4,000 words... not even close. Whoops!

xoxo,
Ann Silex

PS: happy easter (: