Status: complete

DaySleeper

six

I wake up when Kane gets home. My life is nothing but Kane now. His life is nothing but me. I smile at him when he comes into the bedroom, and feel it shift downward, into a frown when he goes to the window and lifts it.

“Why is this unlocked?” he demands.

“I don’t know,” I reply carefully, “I didn’t open it or anything.”

He spins on me.

“But someone did. I know why you’re in bed all the time,” he says, his eyes glinting.

“I am t-tired,” I insist. He scoffs.

“What, are you running a brothel right under my nose? I can smell other men on you!” he says.

“Kane!” I cry as he lunges at the bed, furious in an instant. “I swear to god, I am not cheating on you!” I yell, shielding my eyes.

“I wish I could believe you,” he laments. I uncover my eyes and stare at him above me, straddling my waist. I speak after a moment.

“Tell me what to do to prove it, I’ll do anything,” I promise. He smiles at me and apologizes.

“I’ll think of something,” he assures me, kissing me before climbing off. I shiver and curl up under the blankets. He pulls my body to his and holds me. He tells me I am beautiful.

~~
Kane wakes me the next day. I kind of surprised. He’s usually at work.

“I took the week off,” he explains, “We’re going on a vacation.”

I smile at him. He tells me to shower, and promises to pack my bag for me. I do as he says. He’s in a good mood; I don’t want to ruin that by being bad.

~~
We’re staying at the nicest hotel in the city. I don’t see how this is a vacation, but it’s very nice, nonetheless. We have a suite, on a floor closer to the top than I’ve ever stayed in a hotel. The place is beautiful. Kane and I get along very well here.

I’ve been staying in the hotel room, strictly, while Kane goes off for an hour or two every day. This has been the routine for the past four days.

“Babe?” Kane calls out. I call for him.

“In the bathroom!” I call back, sitting in the bathtub, full of bubbles and warm water. It’s very soothing to the bruises. I’ve relaxed monumentally.

“We’re going to the restaurant tonight,” He says as he enters the room. “As a celebration,” he adds.

“What are we celebrating?” I ask, lifting a tuft of bubble in my hand and dropping them back to the water.

“The house is done,” he says. I know I look confused. He perches on the edge of the tub. “I figured out how I could trust you,” he tells me. “It required a bit of work on the house, and it finished today. We’ll be going home tomorrow. Do you mind if we cut the vacation short? I am needed back at the office, so it’s great timing.”

I smile, and take his hand.

“That’s great,” I say, “I am happy to go home.”

He smiles and tells me to get ready for dinner. I practically jump to do as he asks’ joy bubbling in my stomach.

~~
The restaurant is beautiful, more so than the room. A grand piano sits in the corner, being played by a young woman, and the dim lights are devastatingly romantic. Kane holds my hand across the table as we eat and talk. He ordered for me, and I was a bit annoyed to be getting a salad, but he told me I am beautiful and he doesn’t want to ruin that. It was sweet.

We sit at the table, him enjoying his wine, and me sipping my water. We forgot my fake ID at the house, so I am stuck drinking in the privacy of our room. Not that I’ve wanted to drink much lately, anyway.

I finish my salad far before Kane finished his food. I sit and look at him.

“I love you,” I tell him. He swallows and smiles.

“I love you too, babe,” he tells me, squeezing my hand.

“I am glad we did this,” I confide, “I think it’s exactly what we needed.”

“I know,” he smiles, “I needed to relax.”

I smile a bit weaker. We finish and Kane pays, before escorting me back to the room.

I am so desperately happy to have things good again.

~~
We arrive back at the house around noon the next day. Kane’s going back to work at 3 o’clock. We walk in and I notice the lock on the outside of the house. I realize as he unlocks it that it can’t be opened from the inside.

“Kane—” I begin. He cuts me off.

“I want you to be safe while I am at work,” he explains, “Plus, I’ll know you haven’t been unfaithful if no one can get in. It still locks from the inside, but you need the key now.”

I silence myself, unease growing in my chest. I nod silently as we head into the kitchen. The window above the sink is marred by black metal now. I approach it.

“Every window in the house. I think they’re beautiful,” Kane says. I stare at the bars.

“They are pretty,” I say weakly. He smiles.

“Come on,” he says, taking my bag and heading upstairs. I follow him. He didn’t lie. Every window in the house is barred now. We reach the bedroom and I enter. Even our windows are barred. Maybe our windows are barred especially. Probably.

“What about if there’s a fire?” I ask.

“Well, that’s what the lock is for,” he says, leading me to the window. I examine the lock. “I’ll have the key with me, so I can trust you, so be careful with flames, okay?”

I nod mutely. I think I am going into shock. I thought it was all better now. And then this…

“You’ll be so safe too,” he says, hugging me from behind. I smile weakly up at him and nod, despite my thoughts. How can I be safe here when the only one who can get in and out is the only one who hurts me?

There's got to be something wrong with him. Like, seriously wrong with him. Two months ago, I would have voiced this concern, without fearing anything.

I don't mention it.

“Thank you,” I force out. Then again, he’s the only one who loves me.

~~
Kane is gone to work now, due back at eight o’clock. I kneel by the window and examine the bars. They curve elegantly, a sharp contrast to the harsh black metal, and I must agree that they’re beautiful. Their beauty is overshadowed by the fact that they make this house a prison, effectively.

My own elegant prison.
♠ ♠ ♠
11 subscribers :)

but only one of you have commented (thanks again)!

don't be turds.
(: