Sequel: When You Love Someone
Status: Finished. Go check out the sequel.

So Wrong, It's Right.

You Were The First To Lie

Lanie wondered down the hallways alone, her sack lunch clutched to her chest.

It's been one week since the whole thing happened between her and Sebastian and now not only is Jake not talking to her but neither is Jes or any of their other friends. She was all alone in the jungle that was high school, left to fend for herself.

Lanie thought about going into the cafeteria to sit alone and have her lunch but decided against it as she didn't feel like dealing with the looks she would most likely receive from not only her old friends, but everyone else. Everyone thought her somewhat of a slut now.

It's funny how almost half the cheer leading team has probably cheated on their boyfriend, or slept with their 'best friends' boyfriend, but the quiet girl sleeps with her gay best friends boyfriend and its like she's the one who's fucked half the school. High school makes no sense.

So, instead of facing all that, Lanie made her way down the pretty much empty halls, heading away from the cafeteria. She found herself alone in the science hallway, not a person in sight, not even a teacher.

She slid down the wall and pulled out her sandwich from her lunch bag and began to eat. She was so lost in her thoughts of how idiotic high school was that she didn't notice someone coming down the hall until they were crouched down beside her, staring at her, their bushy eyebrows creased together in concern.

"Lanie? You okay?" Mr. Gaskarth questioned his student.

"I'm fine. Just eatin' lunch." Lanie lifted her sandwich half heartedly.

"Why out here? Why not in the cafeteria with your friends?"

"I have no friends, that's why." She answered quietly, looking down at the linoleum floor, finding it rather interesting.

"They all siding with Jake, I'm guessing?" She nodded, making him sigh and place his hand on her leg, patting it gently. "Well, how about you come and have lunch with me? It's gotta be better than sitting on this cold floor." She nodded and packed up her lunch, taking the hand he was offering to her and stood up.

She followed behind him in silence as they walked to his classroom door where he unlocked the door and let them both in.

"Take a seat at my desk, I'll pull up a chair." Lanie just nodded and sat down in his comfortable desk chair, placing her lunch on top of his desk as he pulled up a chair from one of the tables, sitting across from her.

"Do you not have a lunch?" She asked, biting into her peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"Nope. I was running late this morning and didn't have time to grab anything." He responded, shrugging slightly.

"Would you like some of my sandwich? I'm not going to eat it all anyway." She suggested, looking up at him.

"Sure, if you don't mind." She smiled and shook her head before tearing the sandwich into two equal parts and handing him the un-bitten half.

"You know... you lied to me." She spoke quietly a few minutes later, making him raise an eyebrow in confusion.

"Oh, I did?" She nodded, swallowing the bite she had just taken. "How?"

"You told me last week that things would get better. They haven't. If anything, they've gotten worse." He sighed and finished up his half of the sandwich.

"Well," He swallowed and wiped his mouth on the back of his hand before continuing. "You have to give it some time. It's only been a week. Things don't just change overnight."

"Jake and I's friendship did. It ended in as little as an hour." Mr. Gaskarth sighed and ran a hand through his messed up hair.

"Well... Okay, good point. Just give everything with Jake and your friends time. I promise that soon it will be better. I know things may suck right now but eventually you and Jake will be off having fun again, just like before."

"Yeah, I really hope so." Lanie finished up her food and looked anywhere but him, landing on a picture frame of him with a blonde haired girl. His arm was around her waist, her's around his neck and both with matching happy smiles upon their faces. "Who's that?" She questioned before she could stop herself.

"My girlfriend Lisa." He answered shortly.

"Oh. She's pretty." Alex nodded, biting at his lower lip as he watched Lanie look at the picture, a depressed look on her face. "How long have you been with her?"

"We got together Junior year of high school. We just broke up a few months ago actually but a couple weeks ago I called her up and we got back together." He explained.

"Do you love her?" Lanie still had yet to look up at the man seated across from her. She was just focusing on his smiling face in the picture.

"Not as much as I used to. We're on the verge of breaking up again. She's pissed that I went out with my friends to a show on Friday instead of going to dinner with her."

"That's stupid." Alex nodded, watching the way the sunlight from the windows poured in and gleamed in Lanie's dark blonde hair.

"She get's mad at me all the time. I personally can't take it anymore but I had to stop thinking about-" He cut himself off, sealing his lips shut. He almost said stop thinking about you all the time.

"Thinking about what?" Lanie finally looked up at him, her brown eyes filled with confusion.

"Um. Oh... Nothing. It doesn't matter." Lanie continued to frown at him for a few seconds before nodding.

"Okay then. Well has being with her worked? Have you stopped thinking about whatever it is?"

"Nope." Their eyes connected for a few seconds before they both jumped as the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch.

"Well that just sucks." They both laughed.

"Yeah, that it does." They both smiled at each other before Lanie stood up, gathering up the trash for her lunch.

"Well thank you for letting me eat in here." She said as a few students began to walk in.

"Of course. Feel free to join me everyday. It's nice to have company." She nodded and threw away her trash. Mr. Gaskarth put the chair he had been sitting on back at the table, realizing that he had taken Lanie's chair. As Lanie sat down in the chair her teacher had just vacated, grabbing her bag and getting her needed things out, Jake walked into the classroom.

"Afternoon, Mr. Gaskarth." He greeted the teacher much like he did everyday before taking his seat beside Lanie quietly.

"Afternoon Jake." Alex answered, looking through a stack of papers on his desk.

"Where were you at lunch?" Lanie looked over at Jake, surprised she was even being spoken to.

"Do you really care?" Jake frowned. "If you must know, I was having lunch with someone."

"Who?" Before Lanie had the chance to answer, though she wasn't going to tell Jake anyway, Mr. Gaskarth cleared his throat making the class quiet down.

"It's now for the time you've all been dreading. Project time. You will be assigned some part of the human body to do a presentation on in two weeks."

"We get partners, right?"

"Yes, Alissa, you get partners. It will be the person you are seated next to." Alex shot Lanie a small smile.

"Well... this will be fun." Jake muttered. "I have to do a project with a backstabbing slut. Great." The few people around Jake and Lanie heard him and laughed, making Lanie blush and look down at her lap.

"I don't tolerate that kind of childish talk in my class, Jake." Mr. Gaskarth warned, doing all he could to not glare at the teen.

"Sorry, Mr. G."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so, just so you all know, I don't know when Alex and Lisa really got together or even where they met, them meeting then is purely for the sake of this story. :)

Seems like a friendship is forming. hmmm.