When You Smile, I Melt Inside

Eight |END|

Several miles away from the scene at the school, Nona stopped running and sat to rest on a park bench. She put her head in her hands and began to sob. She had never expected everything to catch up with her so quickly and so violently, although the pain of her parents' death was more apparent and more hurtful now that she found who was responsible, she felt somewhat relived. It seemed like something inside her was finally at peace, and that now she could move on, instead of clinging to the false hope of her parents still being alive. Nona smiled and stood up, she walked a little further from the park and picked some wild daises, they had been her mother's favorite flower. Nona walked until she found her destination, the cemetery. She stood at the gate for a moment before walking in, and down the rows and rows of tomb stones reading each and everyone so she didn't pass the two she was looking for. Halfway down the third row of graves, she found them. Peter and Julia Decaire. Nona smiled and set the flowers down, she sat on her knees and wiped the dirt form her parents’ tombstones. A tear rolled down her cheek.

"Hi mom and Dad, " Nona smiled "It's been a while." Nona breathed in slowly to steady herself. "Everything's alright down here" She laughed "Well besides the fact that I probably just ended my highschool career on the popularity chain. I found the girl that split us up, and I didn't do something as drastic as I thought. I just…explained myself. In note form of course, I feel so relived. I hope you can be proud of me. I met this great boy, his name is Mark. I love him, but in a brotherly sisterly kind of way, I hope he understands that. I'd hate to break his heart." Nona turned to face her mothers Tomb stone. "Hi mom, it's time for some girl talk" Nona lightly traced hearts in the mud as she spoke to her mother’s grave, "I still remember when we used to laugh about my first Crush, well first and current crush, Tom. Well he used to date Gwen, that's the girl who did this. And apparently he broke up with her for me, but I think it's just a clever ruse to hurt me again. My head is telling me it is, but my heart is telling me that this is it! My chance to get what I always wanted, the planets have aligned the stars are in my favor. But I'm not sure mom; my heart has led me astray before." Nona sighed. Talking to a grave stone got her nowhere in this predicament, but it felt good just to feel connected to her parents in someway.

"My head is saying, fool forget him my heart is saying don't let go"

Nona heard a silky voice singing to her. It sounded like her mothers; Nona closed her eyes and fell back into the damp grass, letting the slight rain hit her face.

"Hold on till the end, that's what I intend to do"

The voice sang again, getting closer and closer to Nona's ears. Only know it didn't sound like her mother, it was a voice that she heard only in her dreams. Nona sat up and came face to face with her Angel of Music. He smiled at her, which she giddily returned. He extended his hand, and she took it standing up. The boy leaned down and their lips met. In the distance Nona could see Mark and Travis with smirks on their faces, perhaps explaining herself to Mark wouldn't be as hard as she had thought. The boy leaned down to kiss Nona once again, when he pulled away Nona sang back to him.

"I'm hopelessly devoted to you."

-------------------

Tom couldn't bear to see Nona in anymore pain, so when Gwen collapsed on the floor, He quietly exited the school. A little ways ahead he saw Nona walking down the street. He began to follow her and felt someone jerk him back.

"Give her a little time" Mark quietly spoke to Tom.
"Just let her get this off her chest." Travis added.

Nona was completely unaware of the fact that not only was Travis, Mark and Tom in a band together, they were best friends. Tom had never really hung around with the group he was stuck with. When he started dating Gwen she pulled him in, he barley ever got to see Mark and Travis, only in secret. Now that Tom was free of Gwen, he could do whatever he pleased, and that included winning the affection of young Nona. Mark and Travis knew about Nona's love for Tom, and they had tried to keep in a secret from him. Mark had not wanted Nona to be hurt, but Tom found out and now there were in this situation. Tom was eager to follow Nona and spill his feelings, but Mark was hesitant. He knew how much Nona needed her space; she was like a sister to him.

The three boys walked down the street. Mark knew exactly where Nona would be. The graveyard where her parents were buried, she always talked to her parents in her sleep. It interested Mark, it made him realize all the things that he took for granted. His parents that he often stated he hated, they were there, they hugged him, cared for him and well he had never realized how much they really meant to him.

Tom had been in love with Nona from the moment he first saw her, and Nona was in love with Tom since the same day. Like most children they never got up the courage to tell one another. And when Gwen started dating Tom and Nona was in the accident, things just fell apart. Tom always used to say 'Memories fade, but true love doesn't' he just wished Nona knew that.

The three approached the edge of the cemetery and saw Nona talking to the graves. Mark patted Tom on the back and gave him a nudge. Tom walked into the cemetery and approached Nona. He softly sang to her "My head is saying, fool forget him, my heart is saying don't let go" Nona smiled and fell backwards onto the wet grass, the light rain caressing her face. Tom sang the next line of the song "Hold on till the end, that's what I intend to do" Nona sat up and looked at Tom, he smiled at her and she smiled back. He reached out her hand and helped her stand up. Tom stared into her eyes for a moment and then kissed her. Nona smiled and looked over to where Mark and Travis were standing grinning, she seemed to understand everything in an instant and Tom kissed her again. This time it was her turn to sing back. "I'm hopelessly devoted to you"

"I have something for you" Nona smiled her eyes lighting up as she reached into her pocket and pulled put a notebook. She flipped a few pages and handed it to Tom. His eyes scanned over the page and he smiled.

In the car, I just can't wait...
To pick you up on our very first date
Is it cool if I hold your hand?
Is it wrong if I think it's lame to dance?
Do you like my stupid hair?
Would you guess that I didn't know what to wear?
I'm just scared of what you think.
You make me nervous so I really can't eat

Let´s go... don't wait... this night's almost over
Honest... let´s make... this night last forever
Forever, and ever... let´s make this last forever
Forever, and ever... let´s make this last forever

When you smile, I melt inside
I'm not worthy for a minute of your time
I really wish it was only me and you
I'm jealous of everybody in the room
Please don't look at me with those eyes
Please don't hint that your capable of lies
I dreamt the thought of our very first kiss
A target that I'm probably gonna miss

"I found it in my old room" Nona smiled, "I wrote it about you so long ago, but I still feel the same." Nona blushed. Tom pushed the hair out of her eyes and kissed her again. "Nona Decaire" he pronounced loud and clear, "I love you"