‹ Prequel: Shattered Secrets

You Are Loved, Baby.

01.

"Hurry up!" I called down the basement steps to Juliann around 8:15 in the morning, "You're already late! Come on, Juliann!" I shouted once more before slamming the door shut with all my strength. I then groaned as the baby cried from the kitchen where he sat placed in his blue high chair.

I hurried in there, grinning at Bronx as I raced past him. I went over to the crying baby and lifted him into my arms to comfort him. "Shh, Blaik Baby, don't cry. It's alright," I cooed, cradling his head against my shoulder.

I glared at the 15 year old as he came sauntering into the kitchen with his backpack on, "Are we ready to go yet?" He questioned, grabbing a piece of toast from his uneaten breakfast which sat on the table.

I nodded. "Thankfully." I handed Bronx his backpack as I walked past it. The five year old took it gracefully and prodded his hair to make sure there wasn't a wisp of blonde hair out of place. "Come on, baby," I called to Bronx as I pulled my shoes on by the door. Both he and Juliann wandered over, the younger more excited for school than the other.

We all piled into the car, the baby strapped tightly into his car seat, next to Bronx's booster seat. I drove the boys towards their schools. Stopping at Juliann's first seeing as the high school was closer to our home.

"Have a good day, Junior!" I called as the melodramatic teenager slammed the car door shut and stalked off towards the barren school where kids were already in their classes. I started the car back up and hurried out of there, trying to get to Bronx's school as soon as possible. Being late was becoming a habit for us.

Bronx begged to music on the way there and after endless whining I gave in, popping a Blink-182 CD into the player, ignoring the pout on Bronx's face as the first song came on and he realized that it wasn't the album he'd been hoping for.

Bronx sat in the backseat quietly for the rest of the ride, sending me brown eyed glares through the rearview mirror. But he'd turn to make funny faces at his little brother and ruffle the dark hair that adorned the three month old's head.

Bronx would continue to glare when ever he noticed me glance back at him, but I knew that he wouldn't be angry by the time I was there to pick him up from school. As I parked my red two door car in the parking lot of Bronx's most recent elementary school, I sighed, knowing that soon enough I could go home, put the baby back in bed for a little while and relax as well.

I helped Bronx out of the car and warned him not to move before I walked over to the drivers side and lifted Blaik from his car-seat, trying not to wake him up.

Once I had Blaik cradled on my shoulder and Bronx's fingers tangled with mine I lead the duo into the silent elementary school. I smiled at the colorful walls and the art projects that hung there. The little lockers were rainbow colored, one was red, one was orange and so on until it started all over again.
I tugged Bronx into the office and smiled at the ladies who sat behind small desks.

"Can we help you?" an older lady asked, smiling at me and the baby who slept in my arms.

I smiled back and nodded, trying my hardest to act professional. "I need to sign my son in."

She nodded as well and reached for a sheet of paper from a file in the drawer closest to her. "Write his name here and the reason for being late. Then just sign it and you can take him to class." She motioned down the colorful hall.

"Thank you," I told her, releasing Bronx's hand. I turned quickly as the five year old tried to walk away and gave him a look. "Don't move, baby," I commanded, watching with a smirk as he froze and then turned back to me.

"No fair, Mommy," he pouted, sticking his tongue out at me playfully.

I shook my head at him and turned back to the sheet. "Is too."

I thanked the lady again as I handed the paper back to her and let Bronx pull me to his class and then to his little green locker in the hall. "This one's mine!" he cheered as it rattled open, making Blaik shift in his sleep.

"I remember, babes," I told him, helping him put his bag inside.

Bronx reached up to wrap his arms around my waist and I leaned down and kissed his head, my own arms wrapping around my first born. Bronx pulled away after a moment and looked at his classroom forlornly. "I've got to go, Mommy," he muttered, shifting back and forth on his heels.

I pushed a strand of his hair back in place and nodded. "I'll be here to pick you up later, Bronx," I promised, gently pushing him in the direction of the door, "Have fun, babe." I grinned and watched as he walked over to the door. With his hand on the knob, he turned and raced back over and wrapped his arms around my legs again, looking up at me with big eyes.

"I almost forgot to say goodbye to Blaik, Mommy!" he explained enthusiastically, reaching up to rub the baby's exposed hand.

I smiled softly and pressed a kiss against the top of his head as I leaned down and let him see his baby brother. He adored being a big brother and the relationship between the two of them was something to die for. Both Bronx and Juliann adored him and I couldn't be more grateful for all their help.

"Goodbye Blaik," Bronx whispered to the sleeping baby, "I love you, brothy."

Bronx wandered back until he was at the door again and he waved goodbye to both of us. I told him again that I would see him later and to have a good time and he blinked his big eyes at us and promised he would.

"I love you," he said, sounding like a little man, "Bye."

I watched until he'd gone inside and then turned back towards the car to go home. I had the whole day to spend with my little boy, and I was as excited to get to put him back to bed and take a nap of my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter one!
What do you guys think?

(Thanks for subscribing!)