Different

1/1

Ariel was her name. I went to school with her in the ninth and tenth grade. I have a feeling that Maria and I were her only friends. She was short, plump, and she was Mexican. Many kids in my school were racist against Mexicans. The kids said they were nasty and needed a job. They said terrible things to her daily, but she didn't care. She stood up for herself and never backed down. I always admired her for those reasons. Unlike her, I never had a voice. I was too afraid to stand up for myself.

One day, she brought a stuffed animal to school. It was a snow husky named Neko. Maria and I thought it was cute. Everyone else thought it was weird and of course, they made fun of her for it. They would throw Neko on the floor and stomp on him. She would just pick him up, dust him off and go about her day. She brought Neko to school everyday and each day, he would be stomped on, like a routine. It pained me to see this. I would turn away and wince.

After this abuse, Neko's fluff was poking out and one of his eyes had fell off. Ariel had to do something. She decided to speak out against bullying.

One day at lunch, she stood on top of a table, Neko in hand and said;

"This is what you have done to me each and every day since seventh grade. And I am sick of it! You're going to sit here and tell me that I deserve this? No matter my race, I do not have to put up with any of your bullshit. I am my own person and it is none of your business that I carry a stuffed animal around with me in school. You all should be ashamed. You all sicken me. What if I stomped on your face everyday? You wouldn't like it much. What if your blood started to drip out of you? What if one of your eye balls popped out? You'd be dead. I am dead because of you people and I will not take this anymore! You're all the reason I can't sleep at night. You're the reason I can't make friends. I'm too obsessed if Bobby or Sally will accept this or if Meredith and Larry will support me on that. FUCK IT! I am my own person and I'll be damned if you bring me down anymore."

Then, she hopped off and walked out of the cafeteria.

No one saw her after that. I didn't keep in touch with her or ask for her phone number. The most bravest girl in the world left and we were all swept in the after glow.
♠ ♠ ♠
True story.