Sequel: Say It Again
Status: Active Weekly

The Same Mistake

Monday, January 5 - Afternoon (1).

“Draco,” Snape’s voice rang out across the classroom.

Draco paused in packing up his Defense Against the Dark Arts book, “Yes, Professor?”

“Stay after class.”

Draco’s gaze flickered over to Ellie who was watching intently. The Granger girl was already outside, waiting for her. “Of course, Sir.”

Ellie remained frozen to the spot. “You, Ms. Loren, may leave,” Snape commented snidely. Slightly flustered, Ellie took the hint and exited the classroom speedily, shooting Draco furtive glances the whole way.

Draco stood beside his desk. If Snape had something to say to him, it would be Snape who had to move, not him. Snape’s beady eyes took in Draco’s act of defiance, a condescending look passed over his eyes. “I assume you know what I want to talk to you about.”

Draco’s heart plummeted. Anything Snape wanted to talk to him about in private was not something Draco felt like discussing. “No. Do enlighten me, Professor.”

Snape strode quickly across the classroom coming to stand within a few feet of Draco. “Though you seem to view yourself above the rest of us, I believe it is time for me to bring you back down to reality. You have thus far failed at both missions assigned to you by the Dark Lord. He does not look kindly on failure, as you might well remember since it is your own father who now sits in Azkaban and it is your house the Death Eaters now occupy.”

His words were like a rapid waterfall of icy cold water down Draco’s spin. Fire burned in his chest where he desired to retaliate against Snape, but he chose to remain silent and hear his fellow Death Eater through. “I have not forgotten.”

“Then I wonder greatly as to your failure with Ms. Loren. It was a fairly simple task assigned to you. And you spend copious amounts of time with her, yet I have not heard of your success. Why is that Draco?”

“It is a matter I am handling. Ms. Loren is proving . . . more intriguing than I originally thought,” Draco hoped his words would not arise Snape’s suspicion.

“Intriguing? That does not equate to difficult. The Dark Lord has directed me to inform you that you’re running out of time to convince Ms. Loren to join us. He has considered to seeing to matters himself.” Snape turned on his heel, signaling the end of the discussion.

“What does that mean? ‘He will see to matters himself?’” Draco demanded.

“I assume that means the Dark Lord will no longer require your service,” Snape replied without turning.

Shouldering his school bag, Draco left the classroom quickly. He had barely set foot outside the door when a pair of hands latched around his wrist yanking him into a very cramped broom closet.

“Ellie!” Draco hissed, his head slamming into a wooden bucket situated precariously on a shelf above him.

“What did he say?” Ellie whispered calmly, as though she frequently held secret conversations in broom closets.

“This is not the place to discuss it!” Draco was irritable enough as it was, then to have Ellie taking ridiculous risks of them being caught together, it was enough to put him in very foul mood.

Ellie flicked her wand at the door, “Muffliato. There, now we can speak without the danger of getting caught.”

“That is not the point!” Draco’s voice cut across her. “I am not your lap dog, you do not tell me what to do!”

Quite taken aback, Ellie dropped her arm to her side. “I was not aware I made you feel that way.” Her blue eyes took on a rather steely quality, “My sincerest apologizes.”

Draco felt a dull flush rush to his cheeks. It had not been his intention to offend Ellie, he was simply irritated and she was egging him on. Draco clenched his teeth, his heart wanted to return Ellie’s apology, but his pride rebelled against the very thought. “I forgive you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the lack of updates in recent weeks. I will sincerely try to update more frequently.
In the meantime, thank so much to Jinx Killjoy, emily calamity, laefrance164, brunettecutie04, and WriteToLive for their comments!