Sequel: Say It Again
Status: Active Weekly

The Same Mistake

Thursday, October 26.

Draco peered over the heads of his fellow students, his eyes finally landing on a pair of blue eyes and blonde hair. Ellie was speaking animatedly to one of the other Gryffindors, using her hands to describe what she was saying. He tried to imagine who Ellie would talk to if she was in Slytherin. It was nearly impossible to guess, he didn’t know enough about her character to see where she would fit. He also couldn’t begin to understand why his forming a bond with her would help the Dark Lord. But, if he had to . . . why not.

Ellie stood up, sashaying from the Great Hall with a bright smile and tantalizing swing of her hips. Draco’s thoughts raced ahead to the detention he would be serving with her that night. Should he bring up her escapade last night? Pansy was still in the Hospital Wing having her lips reduced to their normal size. Malfoy hadn’t been to see her since he dropped her off and he had no intention of seeing her until she returned.

Draco gathered up his things, following after Ellie. He left both Crabbe and Goyle confused in the Great Hall. Ellie twisted down one hallway, her skirt flipping out behind her. For no other reason than pure curiosity, Draco chased after her. But when he turned the corner, she was waiting, wand raised.

“Going to try and curse me again, Frog?” Draco sneered.

“If you fail try, try again; right?” Ellie asked sweetly.

Lifting his arms from his sides in a wide gesture, he encouraged her, “Go for it.”

Ellie used her wand to trace an air outline of him. “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be harassing some first years with your idiot friends?”

“I have better things to do.”

“Like stalking me?” she lifted her eyebrows suggestively.

“Hardly,” he scoffed. “As if you could ever pose an interest to me.”

“Is that a challenge?” she asked, a defiant smile marking her lips.

For a moment Draco feared he would not be able to come up with a retort, then, rather belatedly, he drawled with cool confidence, “I could have any girl in this school.”

Ellie sucked in her bottom lip, taking a step toward him, her wand still raised. She was very clearly invading his space, making him unflinchingly aware of her presence. She lifted her other hand, her fingers running down his smooth cheek. She leaned in, her lips barely a breath away.

“You,” her lips brushed his, “wish.”

Draco watched, utterly mesmerized as she turned and sauntered away from him without so much as a backwards glance. In those few seconds, she had turned on every part of him that had a pulse. “Bloody hell,” he wiped her taste off his lips.

XXX

Ellie’s heart was racing in her chest, nervous laughter was tickling her throat, and her mind was screaming in protest. She collapsed against her dormitory door, walking on shaky legs toward her bed. She flopped down on the soft comforter. What had she been thinking?

Crawling to the edge of her bed, she dug through the contents of her trunk, desperate to find a source of sanity. Her fingers grasped on to the frayed edges of the letter she had read so many times she knew the words by heart. Lifting it carefully from the trunk, she leaned back on her bed to read the letter. Her eyes scanned over the multiple paragraphs only picking up specific words and phrases.

Secret. Unnoticed. Don’t cause trouble. Find someone. Report back. No owls. Good Luck.

Folding the letter, she stowed it back at the bottom of her trunk. Next, she took a clean sheet of parchment and composed the letter she would never send. In it, she detailed the events that were about to occur. Then, rooting through her trunk once more, Ellie removed a tiny bottle filled with a bright blue powder. She poured only a few specks of the powder into her hand. Thick dark blue smoke curled off the paper until not a single shard of parchment was left. So it had begun.