Sequel: Say It Again
Status: Active Weekly

The Same Mistake

Thursday, October 26 - Evening (3).

Ellie rushed back to the Gryffindor common room, her long blonde locks flowing behind her. She hardly paused to state the password for the Fat lady who was highly perturbed by what she deemed a lack of respect by outsiders. Clambering through the portrait hole, Ellie cast a fleeting glance around the common room; there was no sight of either Ginny or any of the other girl’s. Elli had to cross her fingers that they weren’t all up in the dormitory.

Thankfully, no one occupied the dorm besides Jenny’s thin black cat Leroy who was lounging on Jenny’s bed. Inhaling a deep calming breath, Ellie retrieved a sheet of parchment and quill from her trunk. Ellie began to scribble frantically transcribing her strange encounter with Draco, making sure to include any details that might prove vital later on.

Once the letter was complete, Ellie quickly folded it, placed it safely into an envelope, and scrawled one name over the envelope. Not wanting to waste a moment, and avoiding the watchful gaze of Leroy, Ellie tugged on her robe, squashing the letter slightly in the process. She stuffed the letter deep within the pockets of her robe, her right hand grasping onto it tightly. With one last parting glance at Leroy, Ellie took off for the Owlery.

The Owlery was not, as Ellie had hoped, empty. Standing only a few feet from her, Harry Potter spoke in low soothing tones to his snowy white owl. The sight of his highly untidy black hair and his lean form froze Ellie to the spot. He was so alive, so very much alive. His breathing raised his chest with every breath; his shoulders were strong and hunched over as he fed the owl a treat. Ellie was riddled with the strong temptation to reach out and touch his warm flesh.

Sensing someone’s presence, Harry looked over his shoulder at Ellie. He looked at her curiously, a gaze that told Ellie he didn’t know where he knew her from. She blushed heavily, having been caught staring at him. “Hi,” she spoke lightly.

“Hello,” he nodded.

“Do you, uhm, know which owls are the schools?” she worked to make her words smooth, not coated in her accent.

“Those ones,” Harry pointed to a row of owls a floor up.

“Thanks.” Ellie ducked her head climbing the stairs to the second floor of the Owlery. Her fingers trembled as she tied the letter to an elite looking owl’s outstretched leg. As soon as the letter was secured, the owl took off with a proud hoot and as the owl soared higher, Ellie’s heart became lighter.

Wishing to give Harry time to leave so as to avoid further awkward small talk, Ellie wandered up to the higher levels of the Owlery, taking in the various types of birds and the soft hooting they used to acknowledge her as she meandered past. The tower was tall and filled with numerous open windows each spilling in the darkness of night. Outside, the first stars of night twinkled brightly in the inky sky.

“You’re in Gryffindor right?”

Ellie started at the voice. “Oui.” She coughed, “I mean, yes.”

Harry smiled pleasantly down at her. Ellie noted that he must have been somewhere around the same height as Malfoy.

When he had followed her up the steps Ellie did not know, she had been too immersed in her own thoughts to hear his footsteps. Ellie ran a nervous hand through her hair. He stepped forward into a pool of moonlight that illuminated his features and brought his lightening shape scar into sharp relief. A symbol of all the destruction wrecked on innocent families, and that same war was about to start all over again . . .

“I heard this rumor from my friend Ginny that you had detention with Draco Malfoy. Is that true?” Harry asked leaning casually against the side of the wall.

Ellie arranged her features to not betray her burning curiosity. “Yes, why?”

Harry ignored her question. “Did he say anything suspicious?”

This time Ellie couldn’t disguise her emotions. She stared at Harry in utter disbelief. “Harry, I don’t know what you mean.”

“I mean, did Malfoy act in any way that would lead you to believe he is hiding something?” Harry badgered.

Ellie’s mind was whirling with what response to use. Should she outright lie to the Chosen One or should she reveal what little she thought she knew. The echo of footsteps traveled up the stairwell, distracting them both. Ellie peered down the winding staircase and gasped.

With a look of mingled amusement and annoyance, Malfoy joined the tete-a-tete. “You might want to be more cautious with your line of questioning, Potter, some people might get the wrong idea about your intentions,” Draco sneered.

“They would be getting the right one. I know you’re hiding something; something that would be marked on your skin.” Harry pointed to Malfoy’s right arm.

Malfoy took a threatening step toward Harry, his grey eyes furious. “What’s it to you, Potter?”

Sensing the immanence of a fist fight if not a duel, Ellie placed herself between the two boys. She put her back to Malfoy, shielding him. “Harry, what you’re suggesting is crazy. What purpose would the Dark Lord have for someone as insignificant as Draco? Come on, let’s go down to dinner, please?”

Harry’s electric green eyes were boring into Malfoy’s dark ones. “Not until he shows me his arm.”
Behind her, Ellie could feel Malfoy preparing to shove her out of his way. Anxiously, she grabbed Harry’s hand in hers. “Come on!” She pulled with all her might and managed to drag him about an inch.

Malfoy laughed cruelly, egging Harry on. “Even the Frog knows you don’t stand a chance against me.”

Harry shook off Ellie’s grip, removing his wand from his pocket in the process. “I won’t even have to try when I fight you,” Harry threatened.

“No!” Ellie tried again. This time it was Malfoy’s wrist she grabbed, tugging him toward her.

Malfoy looked down at Ellie’s hand then swiftly up at Harry. “You’re not worth my time, Potter,” he smirked, moving his hand down so that he was holding Ellie’s.

Caught off guard by his actions, Ellie let Malfoy lead her back down the stairs, her palm warm where it was pressed against his. She looked over her shoulder at Harry who was still standing breathing hard with his wand drawn. He watched them go, not making a move to follow.

As soon as they were outside the Owlery, Malfoy dropped Ellie’s hand and proceeded to wipe his palm against his jeans as if to rid himself of her presence. “Leaching onto Potter now are you?” his glare cut through her.

“For someone who said I had no affect on them, you seem rather affected,” Ellie rolled her eyes, walking back toward the castle. The lights shone brightly in the castle windows welcoming her back to warmth and food.

Malfoy jogged up beside her, matching his stride with Ellie’s. “What could you possibly be going on about?”

“I spend five minutes with Harry Potter in the Owlery and somehow you end up there as well, trying to display your masculinity?” Ellie pressed onward attempting to distance herself from Draco.

“Did you meet him there? Go running to the Chosen One to tell him everything I said in detention. How adorable,” Malfoy said scathingly.

“I did not,” Ellie whirled around, her eyes bright with displeasure, “go running to tell Harry anything! I was sending a letter and he happened to be there. Whatever questions he had about you were purely his own.”

Malfoy, sounding very much a jealous boyfriend, continued, “And what did you tell poor Harry Potter? Did you tell him how you kissed me?”

Ellie cast a withering gaze a Malfoy. “I did not kiss you. You, kissed me, and I, I slapped you!” With that said, Ellie entered the castle letting the door swing shut behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Many thanks to both blueskittles and lovely bones who enjoy detention interludes as much as I do. And thanks to slowburnbaby who is always wonderful To those who subscribe, I encourage you to comment so I know whether you like the direction of the story or not =]