Status: In-Progress, updating as much as I can.

Laugh with the Sinners;Cry with the Saints

Chapter Two

I looked down at the small slip of parchment in my hand; Professor Flitwick had passed out schedules ten minutes before. Since then, I had yet to stop gaping at it. It was safe to say that I wasn’t happy with my class schedule…or better yet—my friend’s schedules.

“You’re not taking Astronomy?” I asked for what must have been the thousandth time. I saw Jamie roll her eyes.

“No, we’re not.” She told me, pulling her hair back with a tie. “You knew we weren’t; we told you that last year.”

“Well…was I upset about it then?”

Trent shrugged, “Probably. But we did tell you.”

“Well, I forgot.” I sighed. “Either way, I think you two should get your schedules changed.”

“What, no way!” Trent scoffed. “I hate astronomy, you know that.”

“But, Ravenclaws have Astronomy with the Slytherins.” I whined.

“So?” Jamie asked through a mouth of eggs.

“So, I hate Slytherins. And they’ll devour me alive if I don’t have you guys with me. And, that class is at night, they’d most likely kill me, too…twice, just for good measure.”

“They will not.” Trent insisted before downing his orange juice. “Besides it’s not like you’re going to be the only Ravenclaw in the class.” I crossed my arms across my chest and gave
a small ‘hmph’ before looking at Jamie pleadingly.

“No.” She said at once, “I’m not changing my schedule.”

It was then I knew I had lost.

--

“You guys have fun,” I smirked, “I’m off to enjoy my free period.” Jamie rolled her eyes. I was gloating; I was rubbing the whole two and a half hour break I had in their faces…and it felt good.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, good luck having fun without us,” she laughed, as her and Trent turned to walk down the corridor, waving behind them.

I turned with a skip in my step, and began to head for the Ravenclaw common room. My plan was to return to the dorms and sleep until next class. However, my plan was vetoed when I entered the Common Room though. Lounging on the royal blue couch, book in hand was a small girl, her dark hair pulled into a messy bun.

It was Emily Romanov. I always used to believe that she was really Anastasia in disguise, hiding out at Hogwarts from the evil Rasputin. Actually, I still did. I suppose I just have an overactive imagination. I shared my theory with Jamie once and received a roll of the eyes and a “Ellie, you’re so weird, you know she died in like…1917, right?”

Of course, I was never actually her friend, so I couldn’t just randomly walk up to her and ask her if she was the lost princess of Russia…or whatever she was, that would just be awkward. But, seeing as I was, at that moment, friendless, I decided to throw all caution to the wind. Clearing my throat, I looked her way.

As soon as she heard me, she dropped the book she had been reading, and looked up, her brown eyes wide. “I’m so booored.” She whined. Then she proceeded to slide off the couch, head first as she flailed her arms about wildly. Finally she landed in a pile of limbs in front of the couch. “Save me?” Well…that was dramatic…

I had to fight to keep a straight face. Standing over her, my arms crossed over my chest, I studied her with a serious expression on my face. “You’re really Anastasia Romanov, aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“I knew it!”

“Honestly, if I had a knut for every time someone asked me that, I’d be running Gringotts by now.” She laughed as she picked herself up off the floor. “Free period?”

“Yeah,” I responded, shrugging.

“Awesome! Let’s do something!”

And that was how I became friends with Emily Romanov, the lost princess of Russia.

--

All too soon free period was over, and Emily and I went our separate ways. My other classes went by in a blur, and before I knew it, it was nearing 11 o’clock. Quickly I slipped into a light jacket.

“Bye, guys.” I waved to my friends, who were lounging in front of a bookshelf. They muttered their goodbyes as I climbed out of the common room.

The walk to the astronomy tower was a long one, and one I was not looking forward to. Clutching my bag tightly to my side I began to walk down the dark corridor, looking over my shoulder every few steps. I would have hated to run into Filch and have to try to explain that I was actually going to class. Every time I heard a noise, I would prepare to hide. I just knew I was going to be late.

By the time I reached the top of the astronomy tower, I was out of breath and holding a stitch in my side. Glancing around the tower, I smiled as I caught sight of Emily waving at me from across the room. I began to make my way to her when I bumped into something blonde and green. I ran into Draco Malfoy.

“Bartley, do you have a problem with running into me?”

“No, not at all.” I sneered before shrugging past him, just as Professor Sinistra waltzed through the door.

“Good evening, class.” She greeted as she tapped the board with her wand. “Tonight we’re going to start off with pairing all of you up.” She began to go down the roll, picking random names from here and there. Emily was paired some Slytherin named Patrick LeFoy, and there went my only chance of actually getting paired with a friend.

I nervously waited as the partner pool began to dry up. At least let me be paired with a Ravenclaw. I prayed. But as I looked around, I could see that there were very few
Ravenclaws left, and that the odds were stacked against me.

“Bartley, Elsie.” My head jerked up and I awaited my fate nervously. “Malfoy, Draco.”

Oh shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really don't like this chapter...

Right now I'm going to try to update twice a week, I have four chapters written now, and I want to try to stay two chapters ahead. So, it may not be as often as twice a week sometimes, especially as Christmas gets closer.