Status: Give It A Try :)

There's Always a Catch

T W E N T Y - T W O

Within a few days, I was allowed to go home. Ruby was perfectly healthy and feeding well, it was time for us to return home. Everyone had visited, from the Cullen’s to Billy Black, Jake’s father. Everyone had been.

So now, we were in Paul’s car, Ruby and I. Ruby was strapped in her new car seat, making cue gurgling sounds. I was stroking her cheek softly with my finger, amazed with her still. I was still in shock, shock that she was mine and no one else’s. Paul had been a life saviour, been doing everything I need and more.

“I can’t believe this happened” I say softly, looking at my beautiful daughter. Paul smiled at me in the mirror and it was so infectious, I smiled back.

“We’re a family now, right Casey?” Paul asks me and my heart swelled with love for him.
“Of course we are Paul” I say softly, and Paul grinned widely. We soon arrived home and I couldn’t wait to show Ruby her new home, I picked up the car seat as we got out and carried it on the crook of my arm.

“Ruby, this is our new home” I coo, as Paul opens the door for me, being the gentleman he is. He also carried all our things in. I walked around, cooing things to my daughter telling her this is where she would grow up. Paul came up and kissed me.

“What was that for?” I ask.
“For giving me your love and a beautiful kid” he murmurs and I grin, that mushy feeling inside never fading.
It was a few weeks later, we had got a routine going. Luckily, Ruby was a fairly good sleeper. So during the night feeds, whenever he didn’t have patrol, Paul would feed Ruby but sometimes I did it. We shared the feeding in the day and the amount of times we change a diaper, we had a system and we stuck to it.

Today when I came home from shopping with Alice, because Ruby needed new clothes again as she was growing so fast. Trust me I didn’t leave without a fight, I had got such a strong link to Ruby, it hurt to leave her. I remember the first time I did it, I only popped over to the Cullen’s to thank them for the gifts. Paul insisted that Ruby stayed at home, as it was almost her nap time. I was in tears by the time I got to the Cullen household, Rose held me for ten minutes reassuring me that my baby was fine.

Paul was a lifesaver, always helping out. His friends couldn’t believe it, that at 19 years old, Paul had become a father to a baby that wasn’t even his. He was a man, a man of his word and a man of kindness. I loved him more and more each day. I knew I had a good one, when I came home today. I decided not to announce I was home, as Ruby might be sleeping. But the living room door was pulled too, and I caught sound of talking, gentle masculine talking. When I peeked through, I found Paul sitting on the armchair, with Ruby in his arms, her head balanced on the baby cushion we had brought for good support.

“You know Ruby, you’re pretty cool. You’re also very beautiful, just like your Mommy. She’s beautiful, you’re going to have the same amount of beauty as her. I’m going to have to beat up any guy that hurts you because I don’t want you to be hurt, ever. I promise to never hurt your Mom, well intentionally. I’d never want to hurt her.” Paul was talking to Ruby, gently and occasionally bouncing her up and down softly.

I couldn’t help smile, as I watched more.
“I know I’m not your real Daddy, but I still love you as much as I would if you were mine. I love your Mom very much and when we’re older, I’m going to marry her so we can officially be a family. You’d like that wouldn’t you Ruby?” Paul says and Ruby giggled in response.

“Yeah, I thought so. Rubes, you’re a good listener.” Paul jokes to himself, and plants a soft kiss on her head, rocking her gently. I decided now was time for me to enter. Paul instantly looked up when he saw me and grinned a huge smile.

“Hey Casey, my beautiful girl. You have fun shopping?” Paul says and stands up slowly, changing positions so Ruby was against his chest and Ruby was peeking over his shoulder. He patted her back gently and rocked her again.

“Yeah, but I missed you both…c’mon give me her. I need a cuddle!” I tease and dump the bags on the couch. Paul and I slowly trade as Ruby is placed in my arms. I hold her softly, kissing her head and breathing in deeply, her gorgeous baby scent. It was addictive and just made me adore her more, if that was possible. Ruby had her check up a few days ago, she was gaining weight as normal and she was still perfectly healthy. She smiled for the first time too, properly and made different sounds other than crying. It was fascinating to watch her grow. Paul shared my excitement as she experienced her first things.
I put Ruby in her bouncing cot, and watched as she smiled, enjoying the bouncing movement. I grin, kissing her cheek softly before standing in up properly. I turn to find Paul had gone into the kitchen, with the things.

I walk in slowly, to find him searching through the bags, smiling at the cute things.
“Aw, she’s going to love this one” he says, as he holds up a brand new rattle, a butterfly shape. She loved shaking toys.

“I know, hey…”I say, walking over to him and wrapping my arms around him, amazing how I could feel his whole body now. I had lost a lot of weight, through natural physical activity. I breastfeed for the first two weeks and it helped me lose weight, but I didn’t like breastfeeding as it kept making my boobs sore. So I’ve switched to bottle, and I think Paul liked that because he got to feed Ruby now, thus more bonding time. Paul helped me everything, and his friends were in awe because he has changed so much. I never knew Paul before, but I definitely think he’s one of the sweetest guys ever.

I kissed Paul with as much romance as I could. Paul urgently kissed back, wrapping his arms around me.

“I love you” he mumbles against my lips, his brown eyes peering into mine. I kiss him again quickly before gradually trying to pull away. Paul pulls me back gently, hugging me tightly, swaying slightly.

“I have patrol tonight at one, so I won’t be back till 7.” Paul says sadly. I frown slightly, I hated that he did so much work in the day and night now.

“Can’t someone cover for you?” I ask hopefully, Paul shakes his head.

“I’ve already missed so much, Sam’s not pleased as it is. I’ll be back in time for breakfast though” Paul says, trying to be brighter.

I roll my eyes, he was obsessed with food. “I’ll make your favourite” I say, kissing him and then he, with haste, let me go.
“You’re the best” he sighs and I grin, as I start folding some clothes up. Paul looks at the door entrance.
“Embry, Quil and Leah are here” he informs and soon enough, the door knocks.

“COME IN!” I shout, and soon three loud voices are in.
“Guys, chill” Paul says, as he walks into the living room. I watch from the kitchen, and see
Paul immediately head for Ruby.

Leah begs for a hold and Paul reluctantly lets her. When
Quil asked, Paul slapped him around the head and laughed at his stupidity. Embry mocked Quil, which resulted in them having a fight.

“Outside” I order and Embry runs out with Quil following closely behind.

“Jeez, you’re not even here a minute and they’re fighting” I murmur, as I walk in.

“She’s so gorgeous, Casey she’s going to be such a charmer. The boys will be all over her” Leah gushes.
Paul immediately growls protectively. “No they won’t, they’ll have to walk on fire to even think about dating her.” he says seriously. Leah and I shared a look into giggles.

“Sure Paul” I mumble, kissing his cheek lazily and he wraps his arm around my waist. I smiled, feeling full of happiness and content. Paul was going to be such a good father, loving, caring, protective, and everything Ruby needs.

I had no worries about Paul or my new found family. No worries at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope this is okay, I had writer's block again for this story, and I was completely stumped as what to put. I managed to think of something, I don't know how or when this story should end.
Can you guys suggest some ideas of what you what to happen?
Thanks for everyone who comments :)
It's really appreciated, much love <3