Vampires Don't Kill For The Money

That's what they all say...

The wind blew through my hair and my bangs covered my eyes. I'm not sure why but I started to pick up my pace. I got a slight pain in my stomach and I shivered slightly, even though the wind had stopped all too suddenly. I zipped up my sweatshirt, and continued to walk faster. The faster I walked it seemed, the worse my stomach hurt and the colder I got. I pulled my sweatshirt tighter around me, and wrapped my arms across my stomach as if to hold in whatever it was that was threatening to burst out of me. Finally, I broke out in a run. I was freezing and the pain in my stomach was overwhelming. I ran faster, and faster until I couldn't take it anymore.

Without warning it seemed, I started to slow down. I had this sudden shock inside me that made me want to slow down. It came like a soft voice, it was calming and quiet. It told me that I should stop, and I would be okay.

So I stopped. I stopped running and the cold stopped. The pain stopped. It seemed as if time itself had stopped. I looked around me and noticed that the wind was blowing again, but all else was quiet. Why had I been running? Was I frightened? How would I be frightened, I was alone? There wasn't a soul around. That's right, it was an impulse. Then why did I stop running?

"Because there was no need to run away any more." The subdued voice that came from behind me seemed so familiar...but I couldn't remember where I had heard it before. It was so fresh in my mind, and yet I couldn't find it. The memory was just our of reach.

"It's alright, I'm not gonna hurt you. You can turn around now."

'I'm not gonna hurt you.' That's what they all say! I had no intent of turning around, but my feet seemed to think otherwise. I turned around as was face to face with...nothing. There was no one there. My mind whirled, and a million questions flew in and out of my head quicker then I could answer.

Didn't I hear someone? Wasnt there a voice? I heard a guy speaking behind me. He told me to turn around. He had been the one who had told me to stop running! I couldn't be going mad...Could I? It is late, and I am alone. My mind does tend to wander...I must have made it up. There goes my overactive imagination again...

"No I'm here...You're not mad come closer and I will prove it to you."

My mind was clear, and I felt extremely calm. Against my better judgment (I'm sure) I walked towards the male voice. What was I thinking? It could be anyone hiding in the shadows. But I wasn't thinking, so I just walked. Walked towards the dark. Walked into the shadow.

"It will be okay. I know you're confused...but you will understand soon."

I wanted to run, but I couldn't. I could barely think, let alone run. It was as if an invisible wave was coming from the voice, and washing over me. It made me calm. It stopped my free thinking. But I didn't care; I wasn't in my right mind remember!

Finally I reached the edge of light. There was a line on the ground, dividing the dark and the light. I was right on the edge, but still in the light...just safe enough I knew.

"I'm going to step out, and release you. My last request is, please...just don't run. Wait. Let me explain."

Release me from what? What was he going to explain? Should I run know? Could I even run at all? What would he do? A wave of questions flooded my mind again and I almost turned and ran. I could feel the anxiety coming on again, but it was pushed away suddenly.

He had stepped into the light...