Vampires Don't Kill For The Money

Definitely something I was missing...

He was a teenager about the same age as me, 17 or so. He had black disheveled hair that had ends sticking out all over the back of his head, and long black bangs over his left eye. He had a nose ring and snakebites below his lip. It looked as if he had heavy eyeliner under his eyes...either that or he hadn't slept in years.

Why was I still standing there? Why hadn't I moved? There were a million things that I should have done at that moment, but none of that mattered. I was gone...mentally that is. I was lost in his big green eyes. They were vibrant and full of energy, and yet they were calming and reassuring. Even without words, his eyes could solve all my problems. I knew...because I had stared into them once before.

"See, isn't it better knowing who you are talking...or not talking to I guess..." His eyes looked at me, longingly almost, but his body didn't make one move forward.

"You know, you could say something...anything really. You're making me nervous just standing there silently."

I didn't know what to say. I'm just standing there, staring at some random guy, at night, alone. What do you do when you feel there's nothing you can do?

"I...erm...think you mentioned something about explaining all of this...weirdness to me."

His expression changed quickly, and he seemed clam.

"There. That's better. Now this is actually a conversation." He laughed, but I failed to find the humor in his statement. There was definitely something I was missing...

"Well...I'm not so sure I know what to say." He looked into my eyes, searchingly again, as if I knew what to say.

"Have you ever...no, never mind...You know when...no, thats not right...Well, you see, it, uh..."He looked away from me, and stared at the ground for more then a moment. Then he shook his head, quickly shifted his stare back to me and continued. "Maybe you should ask me the questions, that way I don't have to start. Alright?"

That was the first real question he had asked me, and it had a real simple answer. And yet, once again, I was at a loss for words.

I was still hooked on his eyes. I couldn't look away or break my stare. I felt as though if my eyes disconnected from his, I might wake-up. I might realize that this is all a dream, and of course he wasn't actually talking to me.

But of course, it couldn't be a dream, because I would have never made such a fool out of myself in a dream like I was then. Just standing there...staring.