Vampires Don't Kill For The Money

Never met a girl who was that afraid before.

We had met once before, by the lake almost two months ago. I guess met isn't quite the right word. We kind of ran into each other. There was a huge bonfire one night, and I had been sitting on the sand right in front of the flames. I remember not knowing many people there; one of my friends had dragged me along.

As the night went on and the fire began to dim, I decided that it was time for me to...erm call it a night I guess. I told my friend I was leaving, I pulled my favorite plaid blanket tight around me, and I started on my way to my car.

As I was walking through the parking lot, there was a loud Bang! that went off right behind me. It made me jump so bad that I dropped my blanket and my keys on the ground. So I bent over to pick them up, and started to walk forward again while I was standing up. Well, because I wasn't looking, and the fact that I'm totally oblivious to my surroundings, when I stood up I smashed right into who ever had been walking in front of me.

I apologized, as I bent down to pick up my keys and blanket for the second time.

"No problem. Here let me help you."

The stranger said as he bent down to help me and all of my klutzy-ness. I put my keys in my pocket and went to grab for my blanket. Of course, right as I touched the edge of it, he reached for it too; which ended with his hand landing on top of mine. How romantically cheesy right?

Well it would have been sweet if I hadn't almost jumped out of my skin when a second loud boom went of behind me. He laughed at me under his breath, and I felt my cheeks start to burn.

"Don't laugh at me..." I said as I looked down at the ground beneath me. I was kneeling now, and I was completely embarrassed.

"Sorry. It's just I've never met a girl who was that afraid of fireworks before."

"I'm...er...not afraid of fireworks. I just...uh..." (I know I'm so articulate aren’t I?)

He laughed lightly under his breath. "Well they sure did make you jump. Here let me help you up..."

He stretched out his hand, and I grabbed it all too willingly. He pulled me up carefully, but didn't let go of my hand once I was standing. He took his other hand and draped my blanket lightly around my shoulders. Now that I was standing in front of him, I could see the fireworks going off behind him. I was so confused by the whole thing, that I made what I thought at the time was the stupidest decision of my life.

I walked away...

I turned around, got into my car, and drove home.

As I lay in bed that night I still couldn't figure out exactly what happened. To this day I'm not sure why I walked away. I guess I just wasn't thinking clearly...
♠ ♠ ♠
for Thomas.....

(not karleigh!!!)