Princess Sunburst

Unbreakable

Watching his father get taken away to Azkaban was no real surprise to Draco; he knew that it was coming. After all that Father had done—admitted to doing during the trial—it seemed rather obvious that he would not remain as unscathed as he did last time. Cornelius Fudge also happened to be in Father’s pocket at the time of his trial seventeen years ago, when he claimed the Imperius Curse; Kingsley Shacklebolt would never do such a thing. He was as fair as they come. So, Father going to Azkaban was the expected result of today’s trial, especially given what he did to Apollonia; things Draco wasn’t even aware of.

No, what surprised Draco was the fact that Potter stood up for him today. He spent years hating Potter and everything he stood for, yet the bloody boy-who-wouldn’t-die, aka the man-who-conquered as the Prophet was calling him chose to help Draco and his mother. After all those years of butting heads with one another, Potter put his hatred for the Malfoys aside for the sake of his sister. It was Apollonia that helped sway Potter into sticking his neck out for those who wronged him, a fact that Draco would forever be grateful to her for. Apollonia was wronged as well, a fact that Draco took to heart. How could she ever think to forgive Draco for what his father did to ruin her life, by involving her father?

It was these questions that plagued Draco as the Wizengamot was making their ruling. He knew there was a slim chance of escaping this trial unscathed, even if Potter and Apollonia stuck their necks out for him and Mother. Yet, they did so anyway, even when things were stacked against them. The Malfoys were considered the lowest of the low at the moment, for their part in the Dark Lord’s plan to eradicate Muggleborn and half-blood witches and wizards from existence; who would ever want to help the family that wanted it the most? He knew that Apollonia was willing to help them through what happened. Even if she did not believe in the same thing, she still cared about Draco and Mother. But, no one else that Draco knew of might be willing to help them with their current situation.

That was why Draco was so surprised by the fact that Potter would do this for him; he never expected that it would happen. Apollonia, yes; Potter, no. And, it was not clear as to what the result of this trial might be when those testimonies were accounted for. Draco looked around the courtroom and caught sight of an emerald-eyed young woman; Apollonia. If it turned out that Draco and Mother were freed as a result of what she did for them, then how was he supposed to face her after the trial? She was Potter’s sister, which Potter seemed to be aware of now. Potter’s attitude towards Draco —whether he testified here today or not—was nothing short of bad. Would Potter ever let Draco near the girl he loved, despite all the animosity that existed between them? However, Draco doubted that what he wanted was ever going to happen; it just didn’t seem very likely.

Draco was really sure of only one thing at the moment; whatever happened here today, he might not see Apollonia ever again. She was bonding with her brother, and that might not give Draco very much time to spend with the girl he loved. Apollonia was the reason he was even doing all of this, because he did not want the threat of Azkaban to be looming over him for the rest of his life. He protected Apollonia, damn it! He made certain that she was never involved in any Death Eater activities. Even after realizing that she was Potter’s sister, he never stopped protecting her from the Dark Lord. Would he really be punished for all of that, for trying to protect the woman he loved? It was a possibility, one that he did not wish to see come to fruition. He simply couldn’t let that happen.

It took another ten minutes before the Minister, a former Auror named Kingsley Shacklebolt, stepped forward. Draco’s stomach lurched. This was the moment of truth. This would be the moment that his life was changed forever. “We have come to a decision. In the matter of Narcissa Calliope Malfoy (nee Black), due to the help she provided Mr. Potter in the Final Battle, we have decided to forgo Azkaban in favor of doing community service. Narcissa Malfoy, you will be spending the next two years helping to care for those who were injured in the war. Perhaps that will cause you to understand just how much damage you have caused by allying yourself with the likes of Voldemort and the Death Eaters. In addition, you will also submit to random searches of your properties, until such a time in which you are proven to be trustworthy in the eyes of the Ministry.”

Considering everything his mother was involved in over the years—for all he knew, the last few decades even; with good reason, neither Mother nor Father chose to speak of anything that happened during the First Wizarding War—Draco thought it a fair sentence for his mother. However, his own sentence might not be so lenient. While Draco was a Death Eater, his mother was not. And, that might make all the difference in determining sentences. The minister was about to continue speaking, to inform Draco of the punishment he would receive from the Ministry, when a voice he heard so little of the past nine days rang out in the courtroom; it was Apollonia, once again sticking her neck out for the Malfoys. “Minister,” she said, “I think I have a way that this could work out for everyone.”

The Minister turned to address her. “I look forward to hearing your suggestion regarding Mrs. Malfoy’s sentencing after court is dismissed, Ms. Snape,” Minister Shacklebolt said before quickly shifting his attention back to where Draco sat. “In the meantime, let us turn to the young Mister Malfoy. While it was your actions that ended the life of the greatest wizard since Merlin, it was also that action that helped Mr. Potter. Even protecting Ms. Snape over the last year has proved that you might not be completely devoted to the Dark Arts.” Draco beamed at that; protecting Apollonia during the last year had to be the one thing he was proud of was the fact that he was able to protect the young Snape, even after realizing that she was Potter’s sister. “However, I am unsure if it is enough to keep you from relapsing.” Draco’s stomach dropped upon hearing that; they were wary about letting him stay out of Azkaban. That’s why it took so long to decide.

“Sir…” There was Apollonia stepping up again to address the Minister. “Before you decide on a punishment for him, I have something that I would like to say. I have known the young Malfoy heir for much of my life. In the last two years—the same amount of time in which he has spent as Voldemort’s servant—he has protected me at the cost of his own life. As per my testimony a few minutes ago, he protected me from becoming a Death Eater, even when his master threatened him. I am the only assurance you need to keep Mr. Malfoy on the straight and narrow. I doubt he would risk doing anything related to the Dark Arts that would jeopardize any relationship – of any kind – he has with me.”

Apollonia’s words hit far too close to home; she was speaking directly to him, to the revelation that he was in love with her, and had been since the Yule Ball in their fourth year. Only he and Apollonia knew that she was even speaking of his love for; everyone else in the courtroom would believe that she was speaking of their friendship. Draco looked around the room, observing the reactions of those in the room. In observing those around him, it surprised Draco that Potter was looking between the two of them; Draco himself and Apollonia. The look on his face was not one of confusion or shock, as was everyone else’s; it was something else, something Draco could not place, unless…Potter knew!

Of course he knows! Draco thought. Potter is Apollonia’s brother. Of course she was going to tell him that his worst enemy is in love with her. I am so dead. There was no telling of what Potter would do now that he knew of Draco’s attraction to the boy-who-refused-to-die’s twin sister. It was certainly not something that he looked forward to. He’d rather go to Azkaban than deal with an angry Potter. A confrontation with Potter was just asking for trouble.

“How can you be so sure, Ms. Snape?” the Minister asked.

“Because I know Draco Malfoy almost as well as I know myself,” Apollonia admitted. “There are very few things that I don’t know about him, sir. I’m all the reassurance you need.”

Got that right, Apolla, Draco thought as he looked between Apollonia and the new Minister. To betray you would be like betraying my own heart. And, Draco was not in any position to do that. He knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he would follow the Ministry’s orders to the letter. If he didn’t want to lose Apollonia, he didn’t really have much of a choice in the matter. He went against his own beliefs just to protect her. Now, he would follow whatever guidelines the Ministry chose to enforce, merely to keep Apollonia in his life.

“Ms. Snape, if you are so sure that Mr. Malfoy will not risk whatever freedom he is given, then he will be left under your care,” Minister Shacklebolt decided. “Should Draco Lucius Malfoy ever relapse into his old ways, the way his father did, I shall hold you accountable for his actions. Not only will Mr. Malfoy here be sent to Azkaban for an infraction, but you will as well, for double the amount of time. See that you remember that, Mr. Malfoy; your best friend’s future depends on your behavior.” With that decision, Minister Shacklebolt ended the trial and Draco started over towards his best friend.

Before Draco was able to make it over to where Apollonia was standing, smack dab in a sea of red-heads otherwise known as the Weasleys, Potter stepped in his path. “We need to have a little chat, Malfoy.”

“About what?” he grunted.

“My sister,” Potter reminded him.

“What about her?” Draco asked.

“The fact that you’re in love with her,” he said.

“Oh, that!” he nodded. “What of it?”

“Look, Malfoy,” Potter began, “we both know we don’t like each other very much, at all really. But, Apollonia is a part of both our lives; for me, my sister; for you…well, I really don’t know. Whether she’s a friend or girlfriend, I don’t really care at the moment; I want assurances made so that you aren’t going to hurt her in any way, shape, or form.”

Draco stared at the green-eyed menace standing before him, the young man who had the gall to call him out on something like this, particularly considering all that he did to her. “You have got to be kidding me! You’re warning me not to hurt Apollonia, after all that you did to her. Or, are you forgetting, Potter, that you spent the last year hating your own sister for something her father did.” It was time to throw this back in Potter’s face, to remind him of what he did. “And, I will also remind you that I spent that very same timeframe protecting Apollonia from the Death Eaters, even after learning that she was your sister. So, I think you have no room to be lecturing me on hurting Apollonia. It’s you who needs that.”

Potter grunted and glared menacingly at Draco, like he was about to explode. In all honesty, Draco found it pretty funny. “I know what I did, okay Malfoy! I don’t need you telling me that I did something stupid. Apollonia was nothing but nice to me throughout sixth year and I treated her like crap after Snape killed Dumbledore.” He huffed slightly. “Though, I suppose I have you to thank for that one. It was Voldemort’s order to you that lost me all that time with my sister. So, don’t try to pin all of this on me; you’re partially to blame as well.”

Draco never really thought of it that way. In a way, he supposed, he really could be responsible for what happened. If it wasn’t for him, Severus wouldn’t have had to step in. No! No! No! Potter is not going to pin this on me! “Shouldn’t you have been the bigger person?” Draco queried. “No matter what I did, you still could have let it go and trusted your sister. But, did you? Not when she needed you the most! No, that honor belonged to me. You might want to remember that, Potter; I’m the one who helped her stay out of trouble when faced with the Death Eaters. While you were out of the run, if I recall.”

“I still don’t trust you!” Potter yelled.

“Apolla does,” Draco countered.

“That’s her. However, I’m a completely different story, Malfoy!” Potter reminded him. “I’ve been on the receiving ends of your taunts and won’t stand for your attitude. I don’t trust you.”

“And what do you propose we do about it?” Draco enquired.

“Unbreakable Vow, I think,” Potter mused.

Unbreakable Vow, Draco thought. How is an Unbreakable Vow supposed to keep me from doing any harm—physical or emotional—to Apollonia? Draco didn’t see any reason to do this, but it seemed that Potter did. And, simply because it was for Apollonia, he complied. “Fine, go ahead,” he shrugged.

“Right. Hermione, can you come over here?”

It was not long before Granger joined the group. “Harry,” she asked, “what are you doing are here with Malfoy? You should be with your sister, spending time with her.”

“We have a situation,” Potter explained.

“What kind of situation?” Granger asked.

“I’m not so sure that Malfoy here has Apollonia’s best interests at heart,” Potter said. “I don’t care that he protected her throughout the last year. A part of me suspects that it was done merely as a way to get himself out of Azkaban. Helping him stay out doesn’t mean that I will trust him around my sister. Mione, it occurred to me that an Unbreakable Vow would be the best way for me to ensure that he can’t hurt her. Think of it as a safeguard for if he really does go back to the Dark Arts; he’ll lose his life—or rather his magic in this case—almost instantaneously after the Vow is broken.” He glared at Draco. “You’ll be able to live through the Unbreakable Vow; it will just strip you of your magic. Should you break this, you’ll have to live through what you did by suffering through the rest of your life without magic. That’s the price you’ll pay for any harm that might come to my sister.”

“I won’t lose my magic,” Draco assured him.

“Yeah, we’ll see about that,” Potter muttered.

As Potter gave his friend the details of the Unbreakable Vow, Draco’s silver gaze shifted to where Apollonia was standing. How could she stand up for him like that, knowing that there was a chance to be punished for something she didn’t do? How can I even let her? Draco loved her far too much to let her go through with something like this. Out of everything, Draco was sure that she wasn’t thinking straight. Why else would she do something like this? Once Granger performs this blasted spell, I need to go after Apollonia ask her why she did it.

“I think I’ve got it,” Granger said.

“Good. Shall we get started then?” Potter asked. Draco simply nodded, choosing not to give a verbal response. He did not exactly wish to bind his magic to an Unbreakable Vow, simply for the sake of appeasing Harry freaking Potter. Even the fact that it would protect what relationship he had with Apollonia did not quell the rage that was building up towards Potter. He did not want to do something like this, to give up his magic if Apollonia was ever harmed in any way through something that Draco himself caused.

“I’m not so sure I want to agree to this,” Draco growled, glaring at Potter and Granger. “You heard right from your sister’s own mouth that she was willing to stand up for me. Why not just trust her?”

“I want my own assurances!” Potter barked.

“Yes, because I’ve betrayed Apolla in the past,” Draco scoffed.

“Who’s to say that you still won’t?” Potter countered.

“Your sister!” Draco reminded him.

Before the argument could escalate any further, Granger stepped in. “Why don’t we just do this?” she suggested. “It can act as a secondary defense to what Kingsley ordered.”

“Fine!” Draco grumbled.

“Good,” Potter said as two enemies joined hands to invoke the necessary magic for this spell to work. “Draco Lucius Malfoy, will you do everything in your power to protect Apollonia Lily Evans Snape from any harm – physical or emotional – that might come to her?”

“I will,” Draco asserted.

Draco tensed as a thick chain of fire wound its way around his and Potter’s hands, thus sealing him to his fate. If there was anything that Draco could ever do to keep Apollonia safe from harm, then he had no choice but to intercede. Was this how Severus felt during sixth year, when it was mentioned that the Unbreakable Vow was made to protect him? And, did Apollonia know that her father did such a thing? He didn’t know, nor did he really care to find out. At the moment, all Draco wanted to do was go talk to Apollonia regarding her reasons for standing up for him, to keep him out of Azkaban. What was she thinking? The plan did not include making an Unbreakable Vow to Harry Potter.

Speaking of Potter, the bloody boy-who-lived—or the man-who-conquered; either one worked—continued with the next clause of the Vow between the two men. “And, will you promise that no harm – physical or emotional – will come to her by your own hand?”

“I will,” Draco repeated.

Another cord of fire wrapped around their entwined hands.

Now came the last clause of the Vow. “And finally, will you give up your own magic rather than your life, should you fail to keep my sister safe?” Potter asked, his emerald eyes sparkling with what Draco could only describe as a rather mischievous glint.

He didn’t know what it was, what compelled Draco to say the words that came out of his mouth next: “I will.” And, there it was. The cord of fire that would seal his fate. Draco watched as it wound its way around his and Potter’s entwined arms and tightened the other two. Draco breathed a sigh of relief when the three cords disappeared and the Vow was invoked, thus sealing the ex-Death Eater’s fate. “There. It’s done. Are you happy now, Potter?”

Potter released Draco’s arm and the two men allowed their respective arms to return to their sides as Granger looked on at the scene lying before her. “Ecstatic. And, I want you to remember something, Malfoy; this Vow was made to ensure that my sister is protected, even from you. Think of it as an insurance policy,” Potter explained. “Apollonia put her neck out on the line for you in court today, so I’m making absolutely sure that you are given no chance to bring her down right along with you; you lose not only her, but your magic if something happens to her. And, that includes Death Eater activities.”

Draco paled slightly at that. Both Apollonia and his magic? He really had a lot to lose if anything was to happen to her. He couldn’t though. He couldn’t lose her. “I get it, Potter.”

Granger then left, and Potter was starting to leave as well when the messy-haired young man turned back to Draco. “I said emotional for a reason, Malfoy. Even before I knew she was my sister, I knew she was in love with you. Take a look at her patronus some time and you’ll see what I mean. Anyways, after the war ended, she mentioned that you were in love with her as well. I’m giving you a chance, Malfoy, to prove that. But, it is your only chance, as any harm that comes to her will invoke the Vow and you’ll lose your magic.”

“Got it, Potter,” Draco nodded. “Hey, Potter!”

“What?” he called back.

“Thanks for that.”

“Yeah, whatever!”

As Potter went to join Granger, the Weasleys, and Apollonia, Draco was surprisingly in a good mood. Despite the fact that Potter made him commit to an Unbreakable Vow that kept him from hurting Apollonia, like he would anyway, something was also mentioned that negated any thoughts Draco had about destroying Potter; it wasn’t said in so many words, but the permission was there. And that was really all that mattered at the moment.

As he stood there watching Apollonia, Potter, Granger, and the Weasleys, Draco felt someone grip his arm. The ex-Death Eater turned, only to find a pug-faced young woman standing there. “Pansy,” Draco grunted; he did not want to deal with her right now, “what are you doing here?”

“I’m here to see you, Drakey,” she purred.

Once again, Draco grunted. What the hell was he thinking by allowing Pansy’s insanity to be let loose? By third year it was clear that Pansy had an obsession with him. Yet, he allowed it to continue, allowed that obsession to fester and grow. Draco’s stupidity for asking Pansy out to the Yule Ball three years ago—not Apollonia as he soon realized he should have—cost him the one thing he cared about most in the world. And, he was going to rectify that.

***

The second the trial ended and everyone in the room prepared to leave the Ministry to continue on with their lives, Apollonia immediately went to speak with Kingsley regarding Narcissa and Draco. Something occurred to Apollonia while she was sitting in the gallery, a fact that was revealed to her close to a month ago, and it seemed to be the best way for things to play out. Narcissa might not object as much if she knew what Apollonia had planned. It has to work, she thought. I’m killing two birds with one stone: helping Narcissa get her life back on track and doing something that should have been done a long time ago. It was really the solution to all her problems. Ron glared at her. Well, not all her problems. Ron was still a royal git, even after realizing that she was telling the truth about being Harry’s sister. Although, using the word royal was an insult to herself, so it would be best not to use that word; she had Prince blood running through her veins and would not stand for insults like that to be thrown at Ronald Bilius Weasley. Those insults were above him.

“And you are sure this will work?” Kingsley asked.

Apollonia nodded. “Considering the circumstances; yes, I think it will. Just make the arrangements for her to volunteer there and I’ll take care of the rest, Minister,” she replied.

“I pray that you are right, Ms. Snape,” he said.

Once all the arrangements were made so that the young Snape took Narcissa out to St. Mungo’s, Apollonia headed over to join the Weasleys. She ignored Ron’s complaints and spoke with the others. “Why aren’t Harry or Hermione here?” she asked the Weasley clan.

Ron scoffed. “Like it’s any of your business.”

“I think it is,” Apollonia argued. “I’m Harry’s sister.”

Before the argument could move any further, Ginny nudged her. “They’re talking to Malfoy. As far as I can tell from where we’re standing, they’re making an Unbreakable Vow…”

Apollonia heard no more. She knew what an Unbreakable Vow would do. She saw it happen with her father, and done at the hands of Narcissa Calliope Malfoy. Watching the same thing happen to either Harry or Draco was never an option, not when they were the two most important people in her life. Before Apollonia could say anything however, the Vow was invoked and the young Snape was forced to watch as the three bands of fire wrapped around Harry’s and Draco’s arms. “Damn it! What are those two thinking?”

“Harry’s trying to protect you,” Hermione said, coming over.

“Protect me from what?” she asked.

“From anything that Malfoy might do to hurt you.” Hermione held up a hand to stop the argument that was on the tip of Apollonia’s tongue. “You stepped up and offered to take the fall for Malfoy. I think Harry’s afraid that he’ll lose you—the only real family he has left—when Malfoy decides to do something stupid. He’s calling it an insurance policy.”

Apollonia huffed. “He still should have consulted me.”

“For what reason?” Hermione wondered.

This was one of the few things that Apollonia had not gotten the opportunity to explain to anyone. Recovery should have been on their minds, not worrying about the reason that Dumbledore was really gone; something that only she might ever know anything about, or at as far as she was aware. “The reason Dad was the one to kill Dumbledore—the reason Harry became so pissed with me during the last year—is because Narcissa wanted Dad to watch over Draco. If Draco was to fail in the order that Voldemort gave him – of which he was sure that Draco would fail – Dad was asked to do it for him; it was sealed with an Unbreakable Vow. And, in the meantime, Draco was protecting me from becoming a Death Eater, while I was asked by Narcissa to watch out for him. The whole of sixth year was a vicious circle that eventually led to Dumbledore’s death. If another Unbreakable Vow is made, this time with Harry and Draco, who knows what’s going to happen.”

“You don’t like Unbreakable Vows, do you?” Hermione asked.

“Not at all,” Apollonia replied.

“Well, you might have to suffer through this one,” Hermione said. “The deal was made and, if he does anything to hurt you in any way—or not try to stop it—Malfoy will lose his magic.”

“Lose his magic?” Apollonia asked. “Not his life?”

“No, just his magic. Harry made sure of that,” she said.

One of the worst things that anyone could do to a Pureblood was to strip them of their magic; Apollonia always knew that. So, the fact that Harry would use this as a part of the Unbreakable Vow meant he was really trying to punish Draco if anything were to happen. Harry was trying to torture Draco by not giving him the opportunity to die; Draco would have to live with whatever he did to cause him to lose his magic. “Why would he go so far?”

“Because you’re the only family he really has,” Hermione reminded her. “He’d be remiss if he didn’t do something in an attempt to protect you. You stuck your own life on the life to protect Malfoy. Now, Harry wants to make sure that he doesn’t do anything to hurt you, and ultimately cause the Ministry to have a reason to place you both in Azkaban.”

“I guess,” Apollonia shrugged. At least he’s not ignoring me as he did during the last year. I’d never be able to live with it if he were to pull that stunt again. That had been the point of today’s trial: to not only decide the Malfoys’ fates, but to prove to the world—Ron more so than anyone—that Apollonia was indeed the half-sister of Harry James Potter; the man-who-conquered. Harry was on her side now, after eleven months of taking Ron’s side and ignoring her. But, that was no more. She no longer had to worry about family ignoring her.

It was about this point in which Harry came to join the group, allowing Apollonia the opportunity to ask him a very important question. “Why Harry? Why would you make him swear to an Unbreakable Vow?”

He shrugged. “It was the only way to protect you,” her brother explained. “And, it places an insurance policy around what Kingsley wants. If Malfoy decides to turn dark again—not saying that he will—the fact that it will hurt you will cause Draco to lose his magic. It’s a surefire way of knowing if Draco was truly involved, or if he’s being framed.”

“That’s true, I suppose,” Apollonia admitted, not wanting to see Draco accused of something he didn’t do. “But, did it have to be an Unbreakable Vow? You know that I lost my father because of one.” Narcissa’s request was the reason that Apollonia no longer had a father; Dad was the one to kill Dumbledore, thus causing Voldemort to think that it was Severus Snape who had control of the Elder Wand. And, it was ultimately the reason he was killed.

“It was the only way to do this,” Harry informed her.

Before Apollonia could argue with her brother about what was being done to keep her safe, a familiar voice called out from the other side of the courtroom. It was not something that Apollonia expected to hear either. “Hey, Potter! Get over here, would you?” Draco called. “There’s something you need to deal with and it involves your sister.”

Emerald eyes met and the two siblings hurried over to where Draco called them over. When they arrived at Draco’s side, Apollonia soon realized the reason she and Harry needed to come over; Pansy Parkinson was draped all over him. “What is it, Malfoy?” her brother asked.

“Is there any way that I can file harassment charges on Parkinson here?” Draco asked. “And, before you even think about answering, may I remind you that she tortured your sister constantly during our sixth year, and tried to turn you in to the Dark Lord, simply to save her own ass.”

“Harassing you?” Harry asked. “You sure?”

“Of course I’m sure!” Draco grumbled. “Now, before you even ask, I have a witness that can testify on my behalf; Apolla here bore witness to it. And, I can’t even begin to explain to you how many times she’s cut into Apolla, mostly because I wasn’t there for a lot of them.”

“Any chance she got in the dorm room,” Apollonia replied in answer to the question that was coming, thinking back on the first six years of school. It was rare during the first five years that Pansy would ever insult her in such a way. But, the second it became known that Apollonia was close to Draco, the insults came more frequently. And, something occurred to the young Snape, something that would force Apollonia to take drastic action when she knew her brother wouldn’t. “Harry, I’m aware of much you’ve hated Draco since we were kids, but you have to help him; she’s obsessed with Draco. I don’t think you know this, but the insults about me came more frequently after Narcissa insisted that I watch out for Draco during our sixth year. She was jealous of how close the two of us were; even with all the times that Draco tried pushing me away. You need to help him, Harry.”

Pansy glared at Harry and Apollonia menacingly, which didn’t do much of anything to make them want to go. “Why don’t you two go away?” she sneered. “Leave me and Drakey in peace!”

“Can you say insane?” Apollonia hissed.

“Don’t I know it?” Draco muttered. He pried Pansy off him. “Pansy, I am going to say this once: I am not in love with you. I was never in love with you, as much as you may think I was.”

“Who were you in love with?” Pansy snarled.

Apollonia side-stepped over to where Draco was standing and glared at the pug-faced girl. “That’s very simple, Parkinson. He’s been in love with me. Since the Yule Ball. Why else would he defend me from your acid tongue? You were cutting down on the woman he loved. And, oh yes; there’s something you might want to know: my father knew as well.”

“You think I care!” Pansy screamed.

“You should,” Apollonia said empathetically.

“I’d never care!” she insisted. “Draco is mine!”

Apollonia glared at her brother. “We need to get her away from Draco,” she pleaded with Harry, trying to make him see that helping Draco would be in his best interest. “You don’t like him, but he means a great deal to me. For the longest time, Draco was the only person that ever cared anything about me. It’s changed a lot since then, but Draco is always going to care about me. No matter how much any one thinks any differently, Draco is always going to care. And, that includes you, Pansy. You think that Draco’s in love with you. Well, perhaps that’s in your delusions, but it will never happen in real life.”

Pansy pulled her wand out and pointed it at Apollonia. “Stay away from him or I’ll see to it that you’re never able to spend any time with your blasted brother ever again.”

Apollonia grunted. “You might want to rethink that.”

“What are you going to about it?” Pansy sneered.

Before Apollonia could come up with a suitable response to Pansy’s comment, Draco stepped up. “If I were you, Parkinson, I’d get out of here. Potter won’t stand for his sister being treated like that. Neither will I, for that matter,” Draco said. “And, one more thing, Pansy: I am not yours to control, nor was I ever.” He nodded in Harry’s direction before leaving the courtroom. “Will that be all the proof you need that I’ll protect her?”

Pansy huffed and left shortly after Draco did. “What was that about?” Apollonia asked as they headed back over to where the Weasleys were standing. “What Draco said to you?” She had her suspicions, but needed to hear it directly from Harry. He needed to confirm it.

“I didn’t think he’d protect you,” Harry admitted.

“Even though he’s in love with me?” Apollonia asked.

Harry shrugged. “Yeah well, I’ve never exactly been on the best terms with Malfoy. The only people outside of his mother that Malfoy was ever really close to are you and Zabini.” He groaned. “I suppose I’ll have to see about getting a restraining order on Pansy for you. Now that Malfoy is trying to prove her logic faulty, she’ll be positively livid.”

Apollonia nodded slightly. Something occurred to the young Snape daughter, something she was told some time in their sixth year. And, if what Harry said about Draco was true—which Apollonia suspected that was—then it meant that someone close to her was trying to tell her something; something she refused to listen to. If what Apollonia suspected was true, there was someone that Apollonia need to have a nice long chat with.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.