Princess Sunburst

Preliminary Hearing

Two hours went by before Percy and Hermione had collected all possible information related to the Death Eaters. Kingsley was able to help with that, using his pull as Minister to get access to all the Death Eater records. Not only that, but Harry had some clout with the Aurors. He refused to say why any of this information was needed however; news like that getting out simply was not an option. Allowing anyone else become aware that Apollonia had been kidnapped was not something that Harry wished to deal with.

In going over everything the Ministry had on known Death Eaters, only one thing could be determined; everything that was in the file seemed far too obvious. The chances of Apollonia being held in any of these locations were slim to none. It was frustrating knowing that. “How are we going to find the location?” Hermione huffed, throwing down the last of the paperwork. The witch knew that Harry was getting anxious; his sister disappeared, with the only clue to her location being the ransom note.

The note was being examined at the moment, matching it against the handwriting of all known Death Eaters. And, until the results were released, there was no lead on where Apollonia might be. Hermione could see how much this was destroying Harry. Already, Harry was berating himself for allowing himself to treat his sister like she had the plague. Now that Apollonia disappeared, kidnapped by the very monsters he was chasing after, Harry was like a man possessed. He refused to let this go until Apollonia was safe and the Death Eaters who did this were thrown in Azkaban; she was the only family that Harry had left, the only person—other than Teddy—that he cared anything about.

While Hermione had often considered herself to be something of a sister to Harry, she knew all too well that Apollonia meant more to him than anything; she was blood. And, in knowing very little of true family, the muggleborn witch could see why this was happening. In the last few weeks, Ron and Ginny had taken to complaining about the fact that Harry would spend more time with Apollonia than with either of them. It was especially disheartening for Ginny; the younger girl expected that Harry would come running back to her the second the war was over. Neither of them – Ron especially – were willing to understand that the two siblings needed some time to bond. They were at a disadvantage in not being able to grow up together, so they needed to get to know one another. However, Hermione was the only one who seemed aware of this.

During their year on the run, Hermione acted as the link between the two siblings, while Harry was pissed that she was Snape’s daughter. He was just so bothered by the fact that her father would kill Dumbledore that he overlooked the obvious similarities between them. Upon making the discovery that Apollonia and Harry were siblings, Hermione began to see the similarities. Aside from their emerald eyes, the both of them were too curious for their own good and rather smart; though, only Apollonia seemed to apply that intellect. Harry was more like his father than he thought, in the sense that he did not apply himself. Perhaps that was why he never noticed that Apollonia was willing to help him; that she was a blood relative and could save him from the Dursleys. So, after everything that happened, Hermione wanted Harry and Apollonia to have some sort of bond.

“We have the results,” Percy informed her.

“Took long enough,” Hermione muttered. “What do we have?”

“Selwyn. Gabriel Selwyn,” Percy said. “He worked at the Ministry during the war helping Umbridge with the Muggleborn Registration Commission. Family’s interesting; Umbridge is his older half-sister. They also have a younger sister: Tabitha Prince.”

“Prince?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah, why?” Percy asked.

“Apollonia. She’s a Prince. I think I heard from Harry a few days ago that she’s the last Prince,” Hermione told him. “And, when the genealogy reports were first done up, there were three Prince girls: Morgan, Delaney, and Zara; the daughters of Christophe and Tabitha Prince, I think. They’re all dead, killed two years ago.” She looked at Percy sadly. “I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Apollonia was kidnapped; I think Selwyn has something to do with it.”

“If Umbridge is related to Selwyn, then it wouldn’t surprise me if you turned out to be right,” Percy said. “Even I’m willing to admit that Umbridge went a little too far.”

“You’re admitting you’re wrong?” she asked incredulously.

“I’ve been looking back on it since I came back and you guys were right, all of you,” the Weasley admitted. “I should have listened to what each of you had to say, but I didn’t. I was so obsessed with becoming an integral part of the Ministry that I didn’t notice all of the terrible things that were happening. I should have realized what was going on, but I didn’t. I thought the Ministry was infallible, completely incapable of making a mistake.” He scoffed. “It was because of them that Voldemort took over. Nothing was done to stop it.”

“Fred’s death opened your eyes then?” Hermione asked.

“It might not have happened if the Ministry did something to stop Voldemort from taking over,” Percy complained. “I lost my brother because the Ministry—myself included—did nothing to keep Voldemort at bay. Fred’s death could have been avoided. Since the second they were born, Fred and George made fun of me; they spent their lives trying to make light of the fact that I was always so serious. I left partly because of them, because I was trying to focus on my work and they refused to let me. So, I left. And now I find out that Fred is gone. The guilt I’ve been feeling since then is intense. It’s why I offered to help you guys with this, so that Harry doesn’t lose the last of his family.”

“I’m sure Harry appreciates it,” Hermione said.

“We need to get this information to Harry,” Percy decided. “He’s the only one that can administer Veritaserum and I think we might have to question Umbridge to figure out where Apollonia is being held.”

“He’s not going to like this,” Hermione knew.

“That might be true; but, if he wants to save his sister, then he doesn’t have much of a choice,” Percy pointed out. “This is the only way that he’ll ever be able to find her. And, I’m pretty sure that Kingsley won’t permit anyone other than Harry to even consider questioning Dolores. Kingsley and Harry were the ones who set the whole thing up, how each person involved in supporting Voldemort is to be treated. An Auror must be present for questioning, or else all information provided is considered completely unusable.”

“And Harry’s the only Auror helping in this search,” Hermione realized. “That is not good.” All of a sudden, Hermione was regretting not agreeing to aid in the search for the Death Eaters, to become an Auror alongside Ron, Harry, and Neville. She couldn’t do it though; she couldn’t bring herself to go out and chase Death Eaters, not when her parents were still out in Australia. Instead, Hermione chose to stick around, perhaps help rebuild Hogwarts for awhile and then go find her parents. But, with Apollonia having been kidnapped while dealing with something at Malfoy Manor; and the culprit being revealed as not only a Death Eater, but turned out to be a member of Umbridge’s—who already did so much to hurt Harry over the last three years—family, she was regretting that decision.

Dolores Jane Umbridge lived to make Harry’s life miserable. She was the one to send the Dementors out after Harry and his cousin, hoping to expel Harry after he used magic, not only while underage, but in front of a Muggle. When that didn’t work, she tried to make Hogwarts a prison for the students, not permitting them the opportunity to learn anything, to give them a chance to defend themselves against Voldemort. Seeing what she did this past year with the Muggleborn Registration Commission, it seemed obvious that she was working with the Death Eaters. For her to have a brother for a Death Eater…well, it made a lot of sense. It explained why she would support Voldemort so ardently. And now, her brother held Apollonia captive, as yet another way to torment Harry. This one, however, was more extreme; they took the last family member that he might ever care about. Upon hearing what happened—that Umbridge’s Death Eater brother held custody of Apollonia—there was no way that Hermione or anyone else would sit around and let this happen; she and so many other refused to let it happen.

“Send a message out to Kingsley and Harry,” Hermione relented. “I don’t think this is a good idea, but it doesn’t look like we have much of a choice. Harry’s the only one that can do this.”

***

Since it was impossible for Harry to lead a rescue mission without the location of where his sister was being held, the young hero had no choice but to wait until Hermione and Percy sent a message to them. It was torture waiting for the news to come. For every minute that was used do research, there was another minute for Apollonia to be tortured. It was the worst feeling in the world, not being able to do anything for his sister. But, being impulsive would only cost Apollonia her life; and, he wasn’t about to let that happen.

As a result of his choice to play this by the book, Harry didn’t have much of a choice; he had to wait until Percy and Hermione got the required information. Harry sat around chatting with Kingsley as he awaited the message from his friend. “This is getting much too difficult for me,” Harry grunted. “All I want to do is go searching through the homes of every Death Eater in existence; I can’t bring myself to wait. The only place I know for sure that my sister is not is Malfoy Manor and there are probably hundreds of others.”

The Minister nodded. “I understand how you feel, Harry; however, it’s impossible for you to know where your sister might be. It’s best if you allow Hermione and Percy the opportunity to narrow it down. That will make the search that much easier.”

“But, we don’t know what happening to her,” Harry argued.

“She’s still wearing the pendant, is she not?”

“Yes, but both of the Malfoys are currently missing,” Harry warned the Minister. It was the one thing that Harry had not gotten the chance to tell Kingsley about, for Apollonia’s disappearance proved to be far more important that the Malfoys’ disappearance. And, with the younger Malfoy’s disappearance, Apollonia’s safety was put in jeopardy. If Draco was still around, Harry would not be so worried. “Additionally, there’s no evidence that the Malfoys were taken by the same person who has my sister, nor is there any evidence to the contrary. They disappeared along with my sister, meaning that pendant could be taken off at any point while she’s being held captive.”

“You’re worried about what might happen,” he realized.

Harry nodded. “More than anyone I’ve ever cared about in my life.” And, it was true. The fact that she was his sister put in her in a class all her own; she was the only connection that Harry might ever get to his mother, and he didn’t want to lose that. He didn’t want to lose that because the remaining Death Eaters wanted him to suffer as a result of killing their master a month ago. When considering that fact that Harry had only known that Apollonia was his sister for the last month, he doubted that the remaining Death Eaters were aware of the lengths he would go in order to protect her. As the last remnant he had of his mother, Harry would protect Apollonia with his life, for she meant more to him than anyone in world; more than anyone could possibly imagine.

While Harry was busy speaking with Kingsley, a message appeared in the Minister’s office. He quickly read the note and turned to Harry. “Percy and Hermione have the news you require. However, there is a problem, one that you might not be able to handle in a calm manner.”

Harry stared at the Minister. “What is it?”

“Dolores Umbridge must be summoned from Azkaban and questioned while under the effects of Veritaserum,” Kingsley warned. “It seems that your sister’s kidnapper has a connection to the former Undersecretary, so that she is the only person capable of answering our questions.”

Upon learning that his sister’s kidnapper held a connection to the toad woman, Harry’s fists clenched. He thought he was rid of her; he thought that her crimes against muggleborns would place her in Azkaban for the rest of her natural life. There was never an instance in which Harry expected that he would have to confront her outside of the courtroom, for Umbridge to play a part in Apollonia’s kidnapping. “Have her transported to one of the Ministry holding cells,” Harry grunted. “And have Veritaserum ready for me to question her.”

If Umbridge had a part in this, then Harry had no choice but to question her. He was the only one who could. With Ron’s refusal to have anything to do with Apollonia—even going so far as to not participate in a rescue mission—and Neville spending time with his gran, Harry was the only person even remotely capable of questioning the toad-faced woman. Had Kingsley retained his place as an Auror, rather than becoming Minister, he could have done it; however, since he did no such thing, Harry had no choice but to do the questioning, as much as he wanted to strangle the toad.

***

It took awhile for Dolores Jane Umbridge to be transferred to one of the Ministry holding cells. By the time that happened, Harry was fit to be tied. The longer this took, the more of a chance there was for Apollonia’s salvation to be removed, so that they could begin the torture. Malfoy was the only one keeping her safe, and he was nowhere to be found, possibly kidnapped by the same people who had his sister. So, for all Harry knew, she was being tortured this very second. And it was all thanks to Dolores Jane Umbridge.

As soon as the Veritaserum was ready, Harry and Kingsley headed down to the holding cell where Umbridge was housed. Harry was on the verge of tearing the woman limb from limb; however, he restrained that part of him, not wanting to lose his only chance of saving Apollonia. Out of everyone in the world, everyone who supported Voldemort during the war, it had to be Umbridge who held the key to wherever it was that Apollonia was being held. And, because of that, there was nothing that Harry could do in retaliation of all that Umbridge caused over the years. For her part in Apollonia’s kidnapping, Harry could do nothing to the former Ministry employee, not until his sister was out of harm’s way.

When they came to Umbridge’s cell, Harry did nothing but glare at the woman; he was in no mood to be anywhere near her. Kingsley was the one to administer the truth serum; however, Harry had no choice but to do the questioning, as he was the only active Auror nearby. Harry glared at the toad woman as he asked the standard Ministry questions. “What is your name?”

“Dolores Jane Umbridge (nee Selwyn).”

Harry sputtered with laughter. Umbridge was her married name? Who the hell would marry this woman, and why was no one ever aware of something like this. I suppose it will just have to be asked during the questioning. The young hero remembered back to a few months ago when Toad-face tried to claim the Slytherin locket as a Selwyn family heirloom so as to avoid it being destroyed. Turns out, she really is a part of the family, only that the locket was never hers. Maybe I should question her family history as well.

“When were you born?

“March 15th, 1948.”

Now that the control questions were out of the way, it was time to deal with the matter at hand. It was time for Harry to uncover the truth behind Umbridge’s involvement in Apollonia’s kidnapping. And, there were a few other things that Harry wished to know about, things he did not wish to wait until the trial next week to know about. If he waited until the trial, it would be too late; too late to save his sister, too late to keep a certain Weasley twin away from the depression he was falling into. Harry knew the consequences of not getting his sister out of the Death Eaters’ clutches. And, it was to Harry’s disgust that questioning Umbridge was the only way. So, first thing’s first. “Did you send the Dementors out to Little Whinging in early August of 1995?” Harry asked.

“Yes.”

Harry glared at the woman. “Why?” It wasn’t only Harry who was attacked; it was also Dudley as well. And, though Harry was never quite a fan of his cousin, it didn’t mean that the Ministry was allowed to attack him. He wanted to understand the reason a Ministry employee would do such a thing, especially to an underage wizard and his Muggle cousin.

“Because you were trying to upset the peaceful existence that the Ministry helped establish so many years ago,” Umbridge snarled. “You questioned every little thing; Black’s guilt; Voldemort’s return; you just couldn’t leave well enough alone, could you?”

“It was the right thing to do!” Harry countered. Now to do some real damage. “Did you use a blood quill for prolonged periods of time?” It was a pointless question, however; Harry still had the scars – however faint they might be – to prove what she did.

“Yes.”

“On how many students?”

“The majority of the student body.”

Kingsley gasped at the admission. Harry nodded sagely. He had almost forgotten that the Ministry – hell, even the Order – knew nothing about what really happened at Hogwarts during Harry’s fifth year, what would have been the twins’ last year had they graduated. Ninety-five to ninety-six was an insane year; it was one that no one, especially Harry, ever wanted to think about. Ignoring that admission for the moment, Harry broached another subject that needed to be addressed. “Did you persecute and toss Muggleborns in Azkaban under the Muggleborn Registration Commission?”

“Yes, I did.”

Yet another strike against her. This is not your day, Umbridge, Harry snickered as he came up with another question to ask the woman. “Do you have any ties to the Death Eaters?”

“My younger brother, Gabriel is one.”

And that’s who I’m looking for, Harry realized, seeing a barely imperceptible nod coming from Kingsley. “Have you committed any crimes against your own family?”

“Gabriel and I had our younger sister and her family killed when it was discovered that her eldest daughter was to marry a Muggleborn,” the toad woman answered.

Harry could barely contain his rage at the admission just made to him. She was so prejudiced that she would kill her own family! It was unreal. He could only imagine who could have been so unfortunate to be related to Umbridge and killed. “Who were they?”

The toad woman glared at Harry, but eventually gave up the names. And it was not something that the young hero ever expected. “There was my younger sister, Tabitha; her husband, Christophe; and their three little girls: Morgan, Delaney, and Zara.”

Before Harry could make any comment about the people who were murdered – and he knew perfectly well that he would – a voice could be heard coming from behind him. “Zara.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I couldn't help it. I had bring Umbridge back.

Comment and subscribe.